PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

New Build - What if they serve completion notice while i'm on holiday?

Hello!

This is my first time posting here!

I've recently exchanged on a shared ownership property in April, with completion to be on notice - the original completion estimate was May/June when I exchanged, however It's now changed to July.

I've had a holiday booked in July for about a year now and have made the housing association aware of this right from the start of the process - they said if the dates did happen to collide they would do their best to delay serving notice. However when I spoke to them last week I had to remind them about my holiday.

I'm now worried as it's looking likely the completion is going to be while I'm on holiday - what do I do if they do serve me notice while I'm on holiday?! Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Thanks!

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    You'd just pick the keys up when you got back? I can't imagine there's a rule you have to move in on the day you complete with shared ownership (I've only done it with a standard mortage). What's the actual concern you have ?
  • my main worry is if they serve completion notice on the first day of my holiday for example, they expect you to complete within 10 days which means paying the remaining deposit, rent, solicitors fees, signing remaining legal documents... and i'm away for 10 days so i'm not sure what i would do!
  • casper_g
    casper_g Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    I suggest this is a query you should put to your solicitor. There's nothing wrong with asking on here if you're worried - especially as it's the weekend - but your own legal adviser is the right place to ask!
  • AnotherJoe
    Forumite
    ally212 wrote: »
    my main worry is if they serve completion notice on the first day of my holiday for example, they expect you to complete within 10 days which means paying the remaining deposit, rent, solicitors fees, signing remaining legal documents... and i'm away for 10 days so i'm not sure what i would do!

Your solicitor can handle that, you can give them POA to sign documents (if needed, or you can just sign them ahead of time and they hold them), any money you need to transfer you can transfer ahead of time.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Or simply instruct your solicitor to tell their solicitor that you do not wish to complete until you have returned from holiday - completion date is a matter of negotiation, not a date fixed by one party without the agreement of the other.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    As has been said - organise now for somebody to have a POA to act on your behalf if anything should occur during your absence. It's a straight forward process which a lot of people would do if they were buying while travelling or abroad.

It could be your solicitor, or somebody in your family who you trust to crack on and get the job done....last thing you need is some flakey person who says "Oh, I didn't think it was important, and I'd booked a spa break so put the letter on the mantlepiece....never mind, you're back now"
  • AnotherJoe
    Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    Or simply instruct your solicitor to tell their solicitor that you do not wish to complete until you have returned from holiday - completion date is a matter of negotiation, not a date fixed by one party without the agreement of the other.

That might work when completion is arranged at exchange but in this case, with it "on notice" from a housing association its not clear how much leeway the OP has to manage the date, if the HA doesn't play ball.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure