Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • CodeMatcha
    • By CodeMatcha 16th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Paying for social care - another person's income
    • #1
    • 16th Jun 17, 9:52 PM
    Paying for social care - another person's income 16th Jun 17 at 9:52 PM
    As i was struggling to pay rent in London, I am planning on moving with my Great Nan who is 90. Alhough I wouldn't be paying rent, the house is outside London so is costing me a lot in train fares.

    My nan needs carer help and pays a contribution towards her social care. I realised I would need to pay council tax, but I'm now worried that my income might count towards her financial assessment. Is it based on 'household income' or just on her income? I can't afford to pay towards her care (I will be living upstairs in the empty bedrooms that she can no longer get to). I expect it would be more expensive than me paying rent for a room in London.

    I could pay rent, but then her financial income would increase. This would also mean more confusing paper work she won't want to do

    It seems silly to stop me living there when there is a housing crisis and the house has empty rooms...
    Last edited by CodeMatcha; 16-06-2017 at 9:59 PM.
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 16th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • 25,370 Posts
    • 14,966 Thanks
    • #2
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    • #2
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:01 PM
    You are not expected to pay for your grandmother's care.

    By the same token, she is not expected to support you.......
    • CodeMatcha
    • By CodeMatcha 16th Jun 17, 11:49 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:49 PM
    • #3
    • 16th Jun 17, 11:49 PM

    My student loan was based on my household income, which isnt a good system for all households (for example a house with many children).

    I just wanted to make sure
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,106Posts Today

5,930Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin