The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Sky Protect Limited

https://www.fca.org.uk/news/warnings/sky-protect-limited

We believe this firm has been providing financial services or products in the UK without our authorisation. Find out why to be especially wary of dealing with this unauthorised firm and how to protect yourself from scammers.

Almost all firms and individuals offering, promoting or selling financial services or products in the UK have to be authorised by us.

However, some firms act without our authorisation and some knowingly run investment scams.

This firm is not authorised by us and is targeting people in the UK. Based upon information we hold, we believe it is carrying on regulated activities which require authorisation.

Sky Protect Limited

Address: 20-22 Wenlock Road, London N1 7GU
Companies House Number: 09984293
Telephone: 0203 769 7515

This firm is falsely claiming to be affiliated with Sky UK Limited, no such affiliation exists.

How to protect yourself

We strongly advise you to only deal with financial firms that are authorised by us, and check the Financial Services Register to ensure they are. It has information on firms and individuals that are, or have been, regulated by us.

If you want to check a consumer credit firm that may not yet have been authorised by us, please also check the Interim Permission Register (link is external).

If a firm does not appear on the Register but claims it does, contact our Consumer Helpline on 0800 111 6768.

There are more steps you should take to avoid scams and unauthorised firms.

You should also be aware that if you give money to an unauthorised firm, you will not be covered by the Financial Ombudsman Service (link is external) or Financial Services Compensation Scheme (link is external) (FSCS) if things go wrong.
Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,287
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    These are the cold calling Spammers , "your sky TV cover has lapsed"

Avoid
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Several threads on here about these
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    "No connection to Sky", but seem to know who has a box so presume Sky sold them our details.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    sillygoose wrote: »
    "No connection to Sky", but seem to know who has a box so presume Sky sold them our details.

Around 50% of UK households have sky TV, so they don't need to know who has a sky box when dialing random households will result in them getting it right half the time.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    Maybe I am confusing it with the company that sends out letters saying the warranty on your Sky box has expired do you want to buy extended cover, made to look like Sky but a 3rd party company.

Obviously it would be foolish as the boxes are pretty reliable and easy to get a cheap secondhand one, breakdown insurance is futile.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • takman wrote: »
    Around 50% of UK households have sky TV, so they don't need to know who has a sky box when dialing random households will result in them getting it right half the time.

Exactly. Many years back when I worked for a bank we used to get people disputing card payments all the time having freely given their details to a cold caller. Why did they give their details?

"they knew I had a computer so they must be genuine"
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    sillygoose wrote: »
    No, just like the calls ' i am from windows and we spotting a problem with your computer'
    The know a majority of households have a computer, so they know that eventually someone will fall for their smallchat and be taken in.

They use a computer system then will randomly call numbers and if they get a live line (someone picks up) this is connected to a scam agent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure