PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eat well for less - series 4

Comments

• Doom_and_Gloom
    Doom_and_Gloom Posts: 4,695 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    JackieO wrote: »
    I don't have £14k a year to live on let alone waste on junk food

Like for like would mean £3.5K for one person a year. That is a lot of money.

My OH and I don't spend that on the both of us for food and non alcoholic beverages. I could add in the chinchilla food, hay and treats, cleaning products, toiletries and alcohol and might get to that amount for one person but for us as a couple.

So much money wasted but the food waste is abhorrent.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Like for like would mean £3.5K for one person a year. That is a lot of money.

My OH and I don't spend that on the both of us for food and non alcoholic beverages. I could add in the chinchilla food, hay and treats, cleaning products, toiletries and alcohol and might get to that amount for one person but for us as a couple.

I think that's the sticking point for me. We only spend about £2k a year for a family of three, including toiletries, cleaning things and cat food. If our priorities were different (we're focussing on paying off the house, retirement and travel) we might decide to triple that and buy the finest wines each week, expensive ingredients like truffles, fancy bath salts and loads of fresh soft fruits etc etc...and that would be okay too, because our spending would reflect our priorities. It's the wastage that bothers me.
  • Like for like would mean £3.5K for one person a year. That is a lot of money.

Last years P60 showed an income of £2856

I fed us on that and put petrol in my car :eek:

No we weren't eating dust, indeed my freezer is often packed solid with leftovers. We eat meat at least 4 days a week, have pack ups 3 days a week and have breakfast most days.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I did not see last night's show, but the previous weeks show was repeated on Sunday. I really liked the rainbow veggie padtai dish made with the nutritionalist and plan on trying it out.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • frosty
    frosty Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I was shocked at the amount they spend and waste.......my hubby has just returned from tesco with enough food for 3 adults to last 3 weeks for £15.60.i hate paying full price for food.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    JackieO - given your other thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5610017
    you'd have a heart attack at the amount of food they throw away. :eek:

Indeed I would my totals for the last six month of 2016 for food budget was just over £320 odd pounds, I have just added up the running total for the six months from Jan 1st until this morning and its £299 odd. I am hoping that I shan't need anymore shopping this month and will carry on using up what I have in stock and streeetch stuff as usual.I have cut back on the amount of meat I have bought though and increased the fruit and veg to compensate. I enjoy budgeting and using my skills at eating well for less, mostly is just common sense really and eating sensibly
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    JackieO wrote: »
    I enjoy budgeting and using my skills at eating well for less, mostly is just common sense really and eating sensibly
    It is exactly that! I could be a multi-billionaire but if I have space in the freezer I'm unlikely to pass up on a bakery item adorned with a yellow sticker!

Case in point: yesterday at bought a couple of packs of TTD cheese and black pepper muffins RTC at 29p each at Sainsbury's, that's not even 8p each. I'll take a pack out when my mum next comes to stay, top with pesto, cherry tomatoes and cheese / an egg and voilà: a quick and easy snack / breakfast dish. Or serve warm and buttered with some spicy butternut squash soup, yummy!

It's only going to end up in the big yellow sack otherwise, so why not? The amount some people spend on food is just nuts. I reckon Mr Caan lived with a bit of scarcity during his childhood or perhaps went without sometimes, there's got to be a psychological explanation for his fridge-has-gotta-be-full-at-all-times syndrome. I quite liked Mrs Caan, she was a moderating influence on his profligacy.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I missed the start so don't know what job(s) they had.
    Just watched the first bit on i-player.
    They run their own marketing company from home.

JackieO - given your other thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5610017
    you'd have a heart attack at the amount of food they throw away. :eek:
    I haven't looked at this thread for quite some time! Must get back to it.

I consider JackieO to be the doyenne of the all matters frugal, she knows how to enjoy life and when to spend. She's the mother to turn to in times when a bit of OS advice is required :A
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 18 June 2017 at 7:58AM
    :o:o:o:o:o

Crikey I feel a bit embarrassed now VfM4f I've never been called a doyenne before :):):), a few other things over the years :) as I said its just common sense which I feel most women have in abundance .

I could spend more than I do ,but I would rather spend carefully to get the best value for cash that I can, then enjoy being with my adored grandchildren and having fun.This morning we are going off to the beach, my DD and three of the boys. She will probably go crabbing with them and I will happily sit on the front with all the bags and bits and pieces with my book and watch the world go by with a cold drink or a cuppa .

I talk to anyone I see who wants to chat (again free )do some knitting,and our day out will cost very little, the boys will probably go in for a swim as its going to be a scorcher today.We don't need theme parks to enjoy ourselves.

I will take along a pack of cards, and when its too hot we grab a bit of shade and probably play cards or just natter.

To me this communication with my family is worth its weight in gold, and DD who works long hours gets to natter to the boys, and we talk about anything under the sun.
    I shall take some of my Happy Cash Stash with me and we will all have a cornet to cool off.

Simple things that please us all and don't cost the earth.My lovely son-in-law has revision to do for his exams later this month, so he will be at home with the dogs ,but will fire up the BBQ around 6.p.m. in time for us getting home They haven't got a BBQ that is all whistles and bells, its a very simple one which cost under £20.00 but it cooks things just as well as the more expensive jobbies, a big bowl of salad, and some bangers and burgers and you have a recipe for three hungry lads when we get back home .

As a family we appreciate the more simple things in life, and the boys have all grown up with the knowledge that they are loved and cared for and that money isn't the be all and end all of life .

8 weeks next Friday we all go off to our beloved Isle of Wight where, as we do every year have quite an old fashioned sort of holiday, which is usually mainly beach based (depending on the weather ) or the boys will go fishing with their Mum and my son-in-law and I will be at the holiday house in the garden reading or playing chess or cards, waiting for them to bring (hopefully ) some supper that they have caught

The boys enjoy the technology just as much as anyone and they have their computer games, but they also enjoy playing french cricket on the beach, or flying a kite they have made with the help of their civil engineering Dad.

Budgeting carefully throughout the year gives us these precious couple of weeks with the boys, and we do all get along pretty well.

I shall take a flask of coffee with me this morning and some biscuits for elevenses, but there is a nice reasonably priced cafe on the beach where we go for lunch.I doubt if today's day out will come to much more than £15.00 for 5 of us which by many standards is trifling, we will all enjoy it though and a swim in the sea is free :):):)

JackieO x
  • Eat Well for Less? is being repeated at 5:30pm tonight.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure