Completely new bank account - sign up bonus?

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all well.

I have a question on new bank accounts. First time posting, apologies if my query has already been asked and answered many times, I have done a few forum searches and can't find any info on it.

I am looking to set up a completely new bank account - so not switch, but start from scratch.

I have a current account that I am happy with. Internet banking, online e-savings accounts, direct debits in separate billing accounts; it is all set up so I can manage my day to day finances and so I don't want to switch.

I would, however, like to take advantage of the switching bonuses that banks offer. I would ideally like to set up a new bank account to do this, move a few of the less essential direct debits across (Netflix £6.99, Spotify £9.99) and then go about switching as often as possible (I can change my salary details easily so cash in shouldn't be an issue).

What I cannot find any info on is whether the banks offer bonuses for completely new customers. Google searches solely relate to switching, nothing regarding new accounts.

Do bonuses for new customers exist? If not, I guess it doesn't matter which bank I choose to begin the process?

Many thanks,
Pursee

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,225
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    There are no decent incentives for opening an account without switching, so start by opening a second current account with your existing bank and, after moving the token DDs, switch that to qualify for an incentive.
  • Pursee
    Pursee Posts: 13
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Great, thanks for your help!
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,105
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    However, there is no need to 'change your salary details' every time you switch though. In fact I would not do that.

Simply arrange for a Standing Order from your main (retained) current account to the new (to be switched) account for the minimum pay in required by the particular switch incentive you want;)
  • Pursee
    Pursee Posts: 13
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ah I was wondering if that was possible. Just set up a new current account, so the process has started. Thanks very much!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure