Lindsell Train GE & Fundsmith

Comments

• Sally57
    Sally57 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    got Lindsell in my General investment account, Fundsmith in my SIPP and scottish mortgage in my ISA

Not sure about holding 3 global funds in a portfolio especially with the crossover with LT and Fundsmith? Also, Scottish Mortgage is very high risk with so much invested in technology.
  • MPN
    MPN Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sally57 wrote: »
    Not sure about holding 3 global funds in a portfolio especially with the crossover with LT and Fundsmith? Also, Scottish Mortgage is very high risk with so much invested in technology.

I tend to agree but If I was going to hold 2 global funds then I'd be tempted to go with either Fundsmith or Lindsell Train and Scottish Mortgage IT because the asset allocation would then be more balanced.
  • Tony12345
    Tony12345 Posts: 14 Forumite
    edited 30 October 2017 at 7:00PM
    What about old mutual global equity, I have decided to hold 3 global funds 2 being the ones you talk about the other being Old Mutual Equity well will been soon or another fund
  • pip895
    pip895 Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I have Vanguard FTSE Developed World ex-UK Equity, Fundsmith and a smaller holding in Standard Life Inv Global Smaller Companies. No more than two in any wrapper though.
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 October 2017 at 9:13PM
    Similar to StellaN, I think Chester Dog's point is good, that some diversification / risk management within a sector has benefits compared to doubling up on any one fund. I kinda hold both: I hold Fundsmith and LT UK (I get Japan through BGFD). My other global fund is Baillie Gifford Global Alpha Growth, because I wanted some tech but not as much as SMT and not in an IT, so I picked this fund which is essentially an OEIC version of Monks.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I think holding both is fine. I would say only about 15% is duplicated between the two. Personally I hold Fundsmith and then top that up with some extra tech with the L&G global technology index trust. A bit of Japan and China sprinkled in for good measure
  • aroominyork
    aroominyork Posts: 2,821 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's curious that every time a Fundsmith / Lindsell Train discussion starts, SMT gets drawn into it. I was guilty of this myself a while back (when studying Investment 101; I have now moved on to Investment 101.5) but not one of SMT's top ten holdings figures in either of Fundsmith's or LT's. SMT is a very different fund, and there are plenty more very different funds too.
  • ArchBair
    ArchBair Posts: 153 Forumite
    My other global fund is Baillie Gifford Global Alpha Growth, because I wanted some tech but not as much as SMT and not in an IT, so I picked this fund which is essentially an OEIC version of Monks.

I now hold 60% of my investment portfolio in 2 global IT's Witan and SMT. At the moment I am considering splitting my holding in SMT with Monks mainly because Monks is slightly lower risk but holds a larger amount of holdings. Not sure if holding 3 global IT's is the right thing to do and I realise there is a lot of crossover between SMT and Monks so the other option would be to totally switch from SMT to Monks?
  • I hold LTG and FS in my SIPP and they are my largest holdings. I think there is enough difference between the two and they are very solid long term funds. I do not see Scottish Mortgage (also a part of my SIPP) in the same way due to their large technology holdings.
  • Fundsmith has now launched an ethical fund

https://www.fundsmith.co.uk/news/article/2017/11/01/fundsmith-sustainable-equity-fund-launches

No it's not April Fools Day!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport