Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, The Economy and House Prices (Part 2)

Comments

• Filo25
    Filo25 Posts: 2,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I thought in England the only 2 options were Tories or Labour, other parties are too small.

Tories seem to suggest that they can deliver a Brexit that doesn't exist as continuously repeated by the EU.

I'd have voted LibDem had they been competitive in my seat, but they weren't so I didn't ;)

The joys of FPTP!
  • Rinoa
    Rinoa Posts: 2,701 Forumite
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    The real agenda behind the 'no deal is better than a bad deal' mantra.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-no-deal-privitisation-perfect-cover-for-tories-a7789141.html

If they want a low wage economy, why are they increasing the minimum wage to £9+ by 2020. And why do they want to stop all that cheap labour coming from the EU.
    If I don't reply to your post,
    you're probably on my ignore list.
  • padington
    padington Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    mayonnaise wrote: »
    The real agenda behind the 'no deal is better than a bad deal' mantra.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/brexit-no-deal-privitisation-perfect-cover-for-tories-a7789141.html

Exactly, this is Brexit in a nutshell. An attempt to become a rogue state. The ultimate haven for bond villains everywhere.
    Proudly voted remain. A global union of countries is the only way to commit global capital to the rule of law.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I thought in England the only 2 options were Tories or Labour, other parties are too small.

Tories seem to suggest that they can deliver a Brexit that doesn't exist as continuously repeated by the EU.

Still reflection of a view on a particular topic. Whatever you think of a particular party you can boot them out in 5 years time.
  • norsefox
    norsefox Posts: 202 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Still reflection of a view on a particular topic. Whatever you think of a particular party you can boot them out in 5 years time.

It's not though. The Scots that voted Tory in last week's election did so because they didn't want an independence referendum, not because they were staunch Brexiteers.

You cannot extrapolate what someone supports simply by who they vote for. Even a Yes/No vote in the referendum didn't dictate whether you wanted a 'hard' of 'soft' Brexit, perfectly demonstrating why it was such a badly conceived question in the first place.

*The caveat to my own conclusion on Scots' voting preferences is through the polling and discussion from Profession Curtice
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Even a Yes/No vote in the referendum didn't dictate whether you wanted a 'hard' of 'soft' Brexit

There is no such thing as soft/hard Brexit. The referendum was all about whether to remain or leave EU where "leave" was a majority.

Soft Brexit is a term invented by politicians who don't want to leave EU. Leaving EU means end of single market, end of free movement of people, end of jurisdiction of EU parliament/court.

Hard Brexit = what referendum answered
    Soft Brexit = what politicians have decided to do as they didn't like the referendum outcome
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    movilogo wrote: »
    There is no such thing as soft/hard Brexit. The referendum was all about whether to remain or leave EU where "leave" was a majority.

Soft Brexit is a term invented by politicians who don't want to leave EU. Leaving EU means end of single market, end of free movement of people, end of jurisdiction of EU parliament/court.

Hard Brexit = what referendum answered
    Soft Brexit = what politicians have decided to do as they didn't like the referendum outcome

No, that's not really how it is.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • mayonnaise
    mayonnaise Posts: 3,690 Forumite
    I thought leaving the EU would take us out of NATO and the UN also.
    I know it wasn't on the ballot paper, I just assumed it would.
    Don't blame me, I voted Remain.
  • It might be my prejudice but I think the government will more likely collapse because some Tory MP's won't accept a 'soft' brexit.

And potentially let in JC?
  • mayonnaise wrote: »
    No, that's not really how it is.
    Perhaps you would explain what you think a so-called "soft Brexit" would entail?
    Bearing in mind the "Four Freedoms" that Eurocrats warn come as a package and also that retaining any of these in return for payment is tantamount to membership, and thus would not comply with the result of our referendum to leave the EU.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure