Debate House Prices

Since the Forum relaunch, in order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Brexit, The Economy and House Prices (Part 2)

Comments

• kabayiri
    kabayiri Posts: 22,740
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Only 1 in 20 businesses exports to the EU. For the other 19, EU rules will be irrelevant.

B...b..b..but I thought this was a marketplace with 500m consumers?

That's what Georgie O kept telling us, with Dave C.

Come to think, I can't recall the container loads of top end British hifi being shipped to Romania and Estonia. I must have missed them.
  • StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 August 2017 at 4:47PM
    The majority of Brexit voting pensioners willing to see someone else lose their job over Brexit ( a price worth paying).
    Both numbers increase when limited to older leave voters, with 71 per cent of those who voted for Brexit and are aged over 65 saying significant economic damage would be a price worth paying, and 50 per cent expressing their comfort with a family member losing a job

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/four-10-leave-voters-say-losing-job-price-worth-paying-brexit-153059096.html
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    Eric_the_half_a_bee Posts: 2,296
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 August 2017 at 4:44PM
    StevieJ wrote: »
    The majority of Brexit voting pensioners willing to see someone else lose their job over Brexit ( a price worth paying).

It's telling that no Brexit voting pensioners were willing to lose their own jobs over Brexit, isn't it?
  • StevieJ wrote: »

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/four-10-leave-voters-say-losing-job-price-worth-paying-brexit-153059096.html
    This was posted earlier albeit from a different source.

But still, from your link perhaps instead you advocate this?
    The same YouGov poll found that one in five Remain voters would happily see the British economy suffer “just to teach Leave voters a lesson”.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,046
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Yet another piece of the Brexit jigsaw puzzle is being prepared, ready to slot neatly into place:
    "UK proposes new start-up fund as EU finance risks drying up"

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-eu-investment-idUKKBN1AG2MV?il=0

So again, we're duplicating something that's already there.

I've gone into how these schemes help businesses before and the current EU system is cost effective and need-led.

Looking forward to this not going anywhere near as well as planned and the vital support not being there. Nothing to do with leaving the EU, more to do with the government inevitably changing things within it and it not being fit for purpose.

Also to be clear, I have benefited to the tune of £1000 for EU-funded advice. The cost to the taxpayer is negative however, as it meant that what needed to be done could be.

A company I'm involved in will likely be benefiting from similar amounts of EU-funded consultancy in the next few months, again with the overall cost forecast at being negative after the first year.
    💙💛 💔
  • CKhalvashi
    Forumite
    kabayiri wrote: »
    B...b..b..but I thought this was a marketplace with 500m consumers?

That's what Georgie O kept telling us, with Dave C.

Come to think, I can't recall the container loads of top end British hifi being shipped to Romania and Estonia. I must have missed them.

A number of Romanian workers in the UK have taken various high end electrical stuff back, so while a business may not directly export, they may be indirectly doing so.

Some of this is used from charity shops, so this is relieving the funding pressures on charities too. One guy I know exported a charity shop-bought furniture suite, high end TV and numerous other bits. Remember that this is technically whatever he paid for it remaining in the UK instead of leaving, even though it likely won't go on official records as it's the carriage of private goods within the EU.
    💙💛 💔
  • CKhalvashi
    Forumite
    It's telling that no Brexit voting pensioners were willing to lose their own jobs over Brexit, isn't it?

Are they willing to pay more tax to cover the losses that will be made by businesses moving operations abroad?

Losing half of Easyjet's fleet is likely to cost £50m a year alone in tax revenue, so it's £2 per working person to make up. The new structure of banking will likely cost more too, including some highly paid jobs moving abroad, plus some losses from the creative industries to name just 3. I'm not sure it will be made up by all these wonderful new trade deals.

Although being able to cut costs by eating chicken in a can means pensioners will be able to afford it better than most. It was after all what they voted for :)

In other news, I'm going to the pub before a pint shoots up to about £5 with inflation, so have a good evening everyone :)
    💙💛 💔
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    kabayiri wrote: »
    You're SOOO passionate about the North that you are struggling to name any places actually in the North.

Yep...sounds about right.

Sorry, didn't realise I had to name towns up North to make a point.
    Only 1 in 20 businesses exports to the EU. For the other 19, EU rules will be irrelevant.

Yup, because a huge number of businesses are local services. Why would a kebab shop or a gardener want to export to the EU?

Of those businesses producing tangible goods and some services, they are quite likely to export. Some will chose not to but that's not going to be improved any after Brexit.
    Is that a "no" then?
    None of those articles provides evidence of poor standards - in fact generally they describe the EU ban as a result of EU protectionism.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=examples+of+poor+chicken+treatment+america

Or if that's too much work:
    https://www.thegrocer.co.uk/buying-and-supplying/food-safety/chlorinated-chicken-explained-why-do-the-americans-treat-their-poultry-with-chlorine/555618.article
    http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-truth-about-humanely-raised-chicken-2014-12?r=US&IR=T

Or do you honestly believe that US chicken is cheaper than ours whilst meeting our standards? Or that the chlorinate for the sake of it?

The chlorination part is regarded as protectionism, because the chlorination part is regarded as safe enough (it's rinsed and pretty dilute). The EU would rather contamination was avoided throughout the production chain and not just bleached off at the end. Which would you rather eat?
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    This was posted earlier albeit from a different source.

But still, from your link perhaps instead you advocate this?
    The same YouGov poll found that one in five Remain voters would happily see the British economy suffer “just to teach Leave voters a lesson”.

To be honest I reckon that's the only way we'll realise how badly we stuffed everything up and get actual change to improve.

I'd rather have a short painful snap before returning to growth with competent leadership, than for us to just fade away into obscurity.

Of course, I'd much rather we were successful from the off, but since we've got incompetent infighters trying to do the essentially impossible I'm not holding out much hope for it.

So I'd rather see
    1. Success.
    2. Clear failure, with affirmative changes to get to success.
    3. More of the same ineffectual flapping about.

Or do you disagree with that too because I'm a Remainer?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 1 August 2017 at 9:25PM
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    Losing half of Easyjet's fleet is likely to cost £50m a year alone in tax revenue, so it's £2 per working person to make up.

Why should the UK benefit from profit made in EU countries?

Will be swings and roundabouts. Ebay is now having to pay over VAT on UK generated revenues rather than channelling the money through Luxembourg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure