Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Moneygrabber89
    • By Moneygrabber89 10th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 5Thanks
    Moneygrabber89
    Bitcoin
    • 10th Jun 17, 10:00 PM
    Bitcoin 10th Jun 17 at 10:00 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

Martin's blogged on Bitcoins and cryptocurrencies. You can read it here:

Bitcoin: Four things you need to know

Back to Moneygrabber89's post...

----

Can anybody offer any advice on this in general. Is it worth buying?

A guy from my work has just left as now starting to work with Bitcoin. He is an it technician so he said he can make major money with it.

Basically what im trying to get at is there a way to make big money with these and how
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 01-12-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Page 4
    • Vito9
    • By Vito9 15th Feb 18, 10:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Vito9
    How people can invest into smth that is so much unstable and its strength and stability can't be guaranteed. You can lose even faster than you gained
    • AnneLis
    • By AnneLis 15th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    AnneLis
    cryptocurrency exchange market
    hey!
    Can anyone of you recommend me a good cryptocurrency exchange market?
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 15th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    hey!
    Originally posted by AnneLis

I'd recommend putting it all on red.
    • AstroTurtle
    • By AstroTurtle 15th Feb 18, 2:56 PM
    • 157 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    AstroTurtle
    etoro is a great start for beginners tbh its social trading and easier to get your head around than buying direct from the exchanges. You can set up an account for free and usuall a virtual account. Play around with it and get see what you can do
    Originally posted by pitkin2020

Except Etoro locked a lot of crypto currency when the downturn happened. Restricted withdrawals and increased minimum investment to $500.

People looking to invest for a quick buck have missed the train.
    • piggeh
    • By piggeh 15th Feb 18, 10:00 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    piggeh
    hey!
    Originally posted by AnneLis
    Reputable exchanges are:

Binance
    Bittrex
    Coinbase/GDAX
    Kraken
    Huobi

If you buy any tokens, try to store them in your own wallet, to protect against any exchange going bust.
    matched betting: 879.63
    • RED KEN
    • By RED KEN 15th Feb 18, 11:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    RED KEN
    It's a scam. If a thing looks too good to be true it is.
    • piggeh
    • By piggeh 15th Feb 18, 11:11 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 1,300 Thanks
    piggeh
    It's a scam. If a thing looks too good to be true it is.
    Originally posted by RED KEN
    What makes you think it's a scam?

Your life will be affected by blockchain in the near future. You should look into it. I recommend 'The Internet of Money' as a good starter.
    matched betting: 879.63
    • nsl101
    • By nsl101 23rd Feb 18, 11:20 AM
    • 36 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    nsl101
    speaking from experience, i have some crypto investments which are quite small as ive been testing it out.. coming from a world of don't knock it untill you try it..

If you watch the market for long enough and can get to know it, only invest what you can afford to loose (in my case what was beer money) .

I have managed to turn 50 into 57 in two weeks by picking a currency, watching it, then buying when i see its low without worrying it could go lower and selling when i see its high and i have a reasonable profit without worrying too much it may go higher... there is risk and you can loose your money, but if your careful and you learn, take notes, and work through the risks to develop your own strategy then its worth it for the enjoyment of making a small profit.

Clearly i could have invested 500 and made proportionally a lot more around 70, but for me that risk of loosing is something i wanted to limit. My plan is to grow my beer money, and see what gives...

crypto markets are well worth learning in my opinion.
    Fresh start & LBM #2: 21/12/2017 : DFD: 02.02.2024
    Debt at 21/12/2017: 46,506.94 | FD Loan: 334.04/35,700.00 | O% finance: 143.85/31918.00
    1% challenge: 0%
    • bobbytaylor
    • By bobbytaylor 23rd Feb 18, 10:49 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    bobbytaylor
    As others said, the upside potential with bitcoin is "limited" because of its explosive growth over the last years.

There are tons of other cryptocurrencies.
    99% of them are trash and will fail, but you can try to catch the 1%.
    The crypto game is tough, some coins goes 50x in a months, and others does -90% in the same months. It's bubble, and it's not for everyone.

Learn about the technology, what problem does it solve etc.
    • theinbetweener007
    • By theinbetweener007 11th Mar 18, 8:59 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    theinbetweener007
    Championing the merits of Blockchain technology is clearly very different to !!!8216;investing!!!8217; in the current cryptocurrency market. If you don!!!8217;t know that you deserve to lose your money. Every cryptocurrently in existence is a Ponzi scheme.

Only when one is state backed will it become valid investment and valid currency.
    • phoneguy
    • By phoneguy 15th Mar 18, 11:24 AM
    • 110 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    phoneguy
    Championing the merits of Blockchain technology is clearly very different to !!!8216;investing!!!8217; in the current cryptocurrency market. If you don!!!8217;t know that you deserve to lose your money. Every cryptocurrently in existence is a Ponzi scheme.

Only when one is state backed will it become valid investment and valid currency.
    Originally posted by theinbetweener007
    To be fair, it seems tainted and unstable - which is why there are big wins to make. I'm lucky enough to have made good money from it, because I bought a tenners worth in 2010 thanks to a post on MSE. I sold just before Christmas forgetting I even had it and it was like winning the lottery.

But I'd certainly *not* put large sums of money in. I've stuck 100 in to Ripple and a couple of others - if I lose it, then mehhhh. If not, it might just be useful in old age if it makes a return. I suspect I'll get more back from it than I would using it to play the lottery.

I agree with the sentiments about it being a Ponzi scheme of sorts. If you can make a few quid from any of these bit & altcoins, it doesn't really matter. Just don't put substantial money in.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

563Posts Today

5,675Users online

Martin's Twitter