Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • treasach
    • By treasach 6th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    • 65Posts
    • 1Thanks
    treasach
    Faulty 3 Year old TV
    • 6th Jun 17, 3:02 PM
    Faulty 3 Year old TV 6th Jun 17 at 3:02 PM
    Hi, just after abit of advice please, sorry for rambling

Basically I bought a Samsung 55 inch TV 3 years ago from Crampton and Moore, we now have a black line across the middle of it which occurred before it was 3 years old. Iíve paid for an engineer to come out and heís advised that this is a faulty LED light, will need a new screen and completed a report which has been submitted to the retailer.

Crampton and Moore have point blank refused to help and on three occasions told me to contact Samsung directly, but they are the retailer??? Theyíve tried a few excuses not to help on different occasions, firstly I didnít have extended warranty and then they wouldnít cover faulty pixels (this was before they even saw the report) their final response via email was contact Samsung and hereís their number. I sent over a complaint letter requesting they contact me back in 7 days on the 23rd of May but they havenít replied.

Iíve now been told Trading Standards no longer will get involved with this type of thing and I need to take this to a small claims court, I suppose I just want to know am I wasting my time??

900 quid for something that isn't even going to last three years isn't great

Thanks
    Si
Page 3
    • treasach
    • By treasach 27th Jun 17, 4:39 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    treasach
    Sure did, I'll just set about the claim then, thanks for you help
    "If I do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 30 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against you in the county court without further notice. This may increase your liability for costs"
    • waamo
    • By waamo 27th Jun 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3,401 Posts
    • 4,516 Thanks
    waamo
    "If I do not receive a satisfactory response from you within 30 days of the date of this letter, I intend to issue proceedings against you in the county court without further notice. This may increase your liability for costs"
    Originally posted by treasach
    That's fine. No need for any further warnings or threats then. You don't need to do a version of war and peace for your claim. A few bullet points will do to lodge a claim, you get to expand on it later.
    This space for hire.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 27th Jun 17, 5:10 PM
    • 18,650 Posts
    • 15,581 Thanks
    wealdroam
    "30 days"??

So you sent your letter before action before starting this thread?
    You didn't mention that in your opening post.

In fact, it was 8th June when you told us you were going to send an LBA.

Are you sure 30 days have now passed?
    Last edited by wealdroam; 27-06-2017 at 5:15 PM.
    • treasach
    • By treasach 27th Jun 17, 5:19 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    treasach
    I sent my initial letter of complaint 23 May, then the letter before action went 9th of June, so their 30 days runs out on the 10th of July. I doubt very much they will get back in touch but I understand they have until then. Just want to know my next move when they don't
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 27th Jun 17, 7:52 PM
    • 11,094 Posts
    • 7,915 Thanks
    neilmcl
    I sent my initial letter of complaint 23 May, then the letter before action went 9th of June, so their 30 days runs out on the 10th of July.
    So your "update" is largely incorrect then

Hi Guys, hopefully last bit of advice I need, so basically they didn't respond to my letter before action
    You already know your next move, as outlined in your LBA surely.
    • treasach
    • By treasach 28th Jun 17, 8:23 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    treasach
    Look, I just wanted to know from the experts whether to push a bit more before taking to the to small claims court, I really don't see the point of cross examining my thread to pick up faults. At the end of the day I'm just after advice which most of you have been fantastic in giving me, so to you guys thank you very much
    • warehouse
    • By warehouse 28th Jun 17, 8:37 AM
    • 3,078 Posts
    • 5,774 Thanks
    warehouse
    So they are paying for a Samsung Engineer to come and see the TV so we shall see what his report states!
    Did this happen OP?
    Pants
    • treasach
    • By treasach 28th Jun 17, 8:43 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    treasach
    Did this happen OP?
    Originally posted by warehouse
    No mate, this is the reason I doubt they will respond, I agreed to the engineer to come but never heard anything, I've chased them several times but they never respond to me, they may be waiting until the 30 days is coming to a close I guess but I doubt it

Just to elaborate, they received the LBA, and the last and only response I've had was "We will arrange for a Samsung Engineer to view the TV, at our cost"

I responded accepting this, but nothing more
    Last edited by treasach; 28-06-2017 at 9:00 AM.
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 28th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 18,650 Posts
    • 15,581 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Just to elaborate, they received the LBA, and the last and only response I've had was "We will arrange for a Samsung Engineer to view the TV, at our cost"

I responded accepting this, but nothing more
    That makes it a bit more difficult then.

As you have accepted their suggestion that an engineer visits, in my opinion you should wait until that happens before starting court action. I think you need to start the clock ticking again.
    • treasach
    • By treasach 28th Jun 17, 3:06 PM
    • 65 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    treasach
    Thank you, I'll give them 30 days from their one line email then, in my LBA I did advise I wanted a detailed response with how they were planning to resolve the situation, so the one line response doesn't fall in line with that
    • Fluffybunny80
    • By Fluffybunny80 8th Jan 18, 1:34 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Fluffybunny80
    Just been reading this. Was there ever an update OP ?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 8th Jan 18, 2:22 AM
    • 20,427 Posts
    • 11,327 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Just been reading this. Was there ever an update OP ?
    Originally posted by Fluffybunny80
    The Op last logged in here in June 2017.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,119Posts Today

7,772Users online

Martin's Twitter