Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mummy_bear
    • By Mummy_bear 4th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    • 353Posts
    • 1,200Thanks
    Mummy_bear
    On a Mission
    • 4th Jun 17, 9:02 AM
    On a Mission 4th Jun 17 at 9:02 AM
    So this is me holding myself accountable, publicly, albeit anonymously, for my spending.

To be fair I'm not so bad, sort of, ish.

DH on the other hand has issues!!

Why am I doing a Diary? Well it all came to a head when DH spent his entire wage (1500) within a week of being paid. Of course a portion of this went to bills etc. But equally a lot was wasted on games for his playstation.

It's frustrating because between us we bring in over 3k a month and literally have nothing at the end of it. I'm sick of it.

So I've took on this challenge. I will do my utmost to rein DH in and fully intend to get us out of this debt.

My intention is to tackle the different debt one at time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm going to list our current debt.... GULP

Outstanding on Mortgage - 84451
    Credit Card 1 - 2803.37 - interest free for 2 yrs
    Credit Card 2 - 1490 - interest free for 2 yrs
    Hitachi finance (for new Boiler) 3093 (includes interest)
    Littlewoods 518 (includes interest)
    Next 444
    Newlook (DH has no idea about this eeek) 130
    Loan 1 - 10865
    Loan 2 - 5964
    My overdraft currently stands at 150
    Dh's overdraft 700

DH got a loan out last October - not sure what is outstanding on that so I'll have to update on that later.
    I do know that it's 155.12 a month payment.

DH also has finance on a bicycle - again I need to get the outstanding on that
    Finance for a new TV - he got this against my advice - total amount was 899 - obtained earlier this yr - need the outstanding

AND - he's recently took up a hobby that's resulted in the purchase, finance, for some items - again need to total figure on that one.

See - he likes to buy things

Without knowing DH's total outstanding I've totted up known figures.
    So including the mortgage we owe at least 110,608.37

I also have a student loan that's 150 out of my wage every month. I believe I'm due my yearly statement this month so I can see what is outstanding hopefully. With 2 lots of Mat leave in the last 5 years it's taken longer to pay off. I'm hoping that I'm nearing the end though as that would be a huge help once gone.

I do have some good habits!

I overpay on our Mortgage. I think it's a monthly overpayment of around 120. I'll have to double check. Been doing that for years although previously the overpayments were more I the region of 75.

I think initially I will concentrate efforts on overpaying the Hitachi finance and the Littlewoods account. Luckily with the Littlewoods account that is a buy now pay later (expires Jan) and I'm well on course to pay that off in time.

With the Hitachi finance I currently pay just under 72 a month. I was the shittiest deal ever. However, it was Dec 2012. Our ancient boiler died. I was on mat leave. We needed a new boiler and in desperation took up the worst ever deal from British Gas. Ugh - shameful. I then just let it run it's course. I don't have figures at hand but I believe it was an 8 year deal and a disgusting interest rate.
    I logged into the account yesterday and found that it ends in Dec 2020. If I make just 18 a month overpayment it could end in Jan 2020!! I'm unbelievable peeved at myself for not concentrating on getting rid of this sooner. So that is my main goal!

I aim to update at least once a week.

By for now
    Last edited by Mummy_bear; 04-06-2017 at 9:05 AM.
    My LBM May 2017, DH LBM July 2017- Total Debt (not Including Mortgage) 37139.86
    9152.57/37139.86 24.64% paid
Page 20
    • Mummy_bear
    • By Mummy_bear 15th Sep 18, 10:48 AM
    • 353 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Mummy_bear
    This morning I've just spent time, whilst wiping snotty kids noses, just thinking about how far we've come on our debt busting journey. It's been just over a year since I've started the diary. We've paid around 10k off the debt...but technically more as the debt went up briefly.

I particularly relish the 1st of each month when targets are reset and I can try and beat them. We have so much motivation to get our debts paid.

Yesterday DH had some good news around did it's hard not to jump the gun around dad's nothing is even set in stone!
    He need up having a 1hr informal phone call with a DM of a prestigious company for a potential role that DHs CV seems ideal for. Bare in mind this call was between 9pm and 10pm last night he was that keen to speak to DH.

DH has been honest..can do the work just no qualifications to back it up. The DM said he'd get the qualifications through them. But we've heard this before. The difference now is that this is a well known company. One that you'd be so proud to work for and tell people about. DH has been invited in for a formal interview this Tuesday. DH is both excited and understanderbly nervous. The DM was keen for DH to consider taking on a more supervisory role, something he's never done before. Maybe this is what he needs. The pay is also good with OT as an option. Got everything crossed things work out DH needs a break. I'll be so gutted for him if they say that actually he's not what they're after. He's been let down too many times.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 15th Sep 18, 11:17 AM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 15,220 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Good luck for your DH for Tuesday. Well done on managing to breastfeed the twins. That will have saved you loads. Also on reusable nappies. I used them years ago when my 2 DDs were babies but they have probably improved since then. The smell of nappisan and buckets of nappies soaking were horrible as I had 2 in nappies at the same time. My 2 DGDs use disposables but luckily the DGD1 is mostly toilet trained now.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 15th Sep 18, 2:29 PM
    • 5,130 Posts
    • 18,244 Thanks
    abba1772
    Sounds promising good luck to hubby xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 18 5493.20 NOW 2179.94
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 8941.34
    • Mummy_bear
    • By Mummy_bear 18th Sep 18, 2:11 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Mummy_bear
    Very nervous
    DHs interview wa at 10.30 am.

It's now 2pm and I've heard nothing yet. He's still there

He was told last night that a CEO would be present. Seems extreme for an interview and yet to find out how much truth is in it. This isn't a local big company this is an international company!

If I've not heard from him yet is this good news? I mean he knew there would be practical elements to the interview. Not sure it would take this long.

I hope I'll be giving an positive update later

MB
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 18th Sep 18, 2:43 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Fingers crossed for you and for your Oh!
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 18th Sep 18, 3:30 PM
    • 273 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    The old saying is " no news is good news"

Really hope there is some good fortune for your DH soon
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Sep 18, 4:53 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 15,220 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Fingers crossed for him. If it is a large international company he could be interviewed by several people separately.

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 18th Sep 18, 5:02 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Really hope it's good news... I've got everything crossed for you! XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • Mummy_bear
    • By Mummy_bear 18th Sep 18, 7:33 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 1,200 Thanks
    Mummy_bear
    Fingers crossed for him. If it is a large international company he could be interviewed by several people separately.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    And, it traspires is exactly what happened

HE GOT THE JOB!!!

No start date given, he will know that within a few days.
    And no sooner was he offered the job DHs phone has not stopped ringing. ..loads of recruitment agencies wanting to put him forward for jobs. Agencies what went silent on him and came up with nothing! Weird.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 18th Sep 18, 7:43 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 2,579 Thanks
    Chrystal

So very very pleased for you both!
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • abba1772
    • By abba1772 18th Sep 18, 8:52 PM
    • 5,130 Posts
    • 18,244 Thanks
    abba1772
    That's fantastic news

As for the phone ringing off the hook it's Sod's law isn't it xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 18 5493.20 NOW 2179.94
    POAMAYC 2011 6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 8941.34
    • Rachel24
    • By Rachel24 18th Sep 18, 9:20 PM
    • 199 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    Rachel24
    Aw so happy for you both! Must be such a relief for your OH! Think that deserves is a celebration in some way!
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 18th Sep 18, 11:41 PM
    • 7,040 Posts
    • 15,220 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Fantastic news. Such a relief for you both.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

262Posts Today

3,103Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin