Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 22nd May 17, 7:57 PM
    • 282Posts
    • 3,123Thanks
    FoxFace
    Fox's Vegan recipes
    • 22nd May 17, 7:57 PM
    Fox's Vegan recipes 22nd May 17 at 7:57 PM
    Hi,

As the thread title suggests, I am going to put my recipes on this thread. It was requested on the Grocery Challenge thread that I share some of my recipes and as I cook a lot, I figured it probably easier to put them in one place.

For those who aren't aware, the definition of veganism is:

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose" ~ The Vegan Society

So no meat, eggs, dairy, honey, wool, silk or anything containing animal byproducts or anything tested on animals.

It's actually really easy to get a healthy, balanced, vegan (or plant based) diet on a budget and I usually spend about 60 per week on groceries for four of us (Me, Husband and a teenage boy and a pre-teen), including toiletries and laundry detergent etc.

Anyway, enough rambling! There are plenty of resources out there if you want to learn more, this thread is for recipes

As per usual with MSE recipes, you can feel free to experiment, switch out for what you already have in stock or what you find on offer

I shall post them below
    Thanks for stopping by

Foxxie x

Current Recipes

Stuffed sweet potato pancakes with tomato chilli sauce

Basic Hummus
    Tofu Satay (of sorts)
    Mexican Bean & Sweet Potato Stew
    Slow Cooker Sausage Casserole
    Super easy Spinach and Mushroom Risotto
    Samosa Baked Potatoes
    Vegan Cheeze Sauce
    Lentil & Mushroom "Sausage Rolls"
    Last edited by FoxFace; 08-06-2018 at 11:07 AM.
    Debt Free Wannabe 21.05.2017
    Total Starting Debt = 11,020.01p Currently: 7282.99p
    ~Grocery Challenge: May: 26.77p/350.00p~
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

Page 1
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 22nd May 17, 7:57 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    Stuffed sweet potato pancakes with tomato chilli sauce
    serves 4 (smallish portions)

Ingredients

Pancakes
    1 medium sweet potato, grated
    1 onion, finely chopped
    200ml unsweetened soya milk
    50g plain flour (I used wholemeal)
    50g gram flour (you could use more regular flour if you don't have this)

Filling
    1 bag of spinach
    1 punnet chestnut mushrooms, slices
    2 small, or 1 large pepper (I used yellow), chopped
    Handful of cashew nuts
    Garlic, 2 cloves, minced
    Olive oil

Sauce
    1 carton Passata
    1 tbl of garlic chilli sauce (from asian food aisle)

Method

~For the sauce, just empty the passata into a pan, add the chilli garlic sauce and stir well. Simmer for a few minutes to heat through. Set aside.

~For the pancakes, mix the flour and soya milk until smooth then add the sweet potato and oniond
    ~lightly oil a pan and use a quarter of the mix to make each pancake (you have to cook it on a low heat and spread the mixture with a back of a spoon)

~For the filling, chop the peppers and fry for a couple of minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and garlic and cook until softened then add the cashew nuts and spinach and turn to a low heat until the spinach is wilted

Pop a pancake on each plate, add the filling and fold over. Spoon over some of the sauce, et voila
    Last edited by FoxFace; 23-05-2017 at 5:26 AM.
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• JIL
    • By JIL 22nd May 17, 8:41 PM
    • 4,422 Posts
    • 23,975 Thanks
    JIL
    • 22nd May 17, 8:41 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 8:41 PM
    Do you ever eat vegan processed food? I recently tried frys vegan brown rice and quinoa burgers and really enjoyed them.
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 22nd May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    • 22nd May 17, 9:28 PM
    • 22nd May 17, 9:28 PM
    Do you ever eat vegan processed food? I recently tried frys vegan brown rice and quinoa burgers and really enjoyed them.
    Originally posted by JIL
    I do sometimes I haven't tried those, I usually make my own burgers
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 23rd May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 12,616 Thanks
    elsiepac
    • 23rd May 17, 10:06 AM
    • 23rd May 17, 10:06 AM
    Thanks Foxxie, lovely idea with the pancakes, I'm definitely going to try these! I suspect it will be more like 2 portions for me lol but hey ho!!

JIL I don't eat loads of processed vegan food as I try to focus on home made "whole" foods, but I do on occasion and I have to say Fry's are absolutely brilliant. Their country roast in the same range is really delicious.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Apr 19 59.94/200
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 23rd May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    • 23rd May 17, 10:14 AM
    • 23rd May 17, 10:14 AM
    Elsie, they were small portions, but we only have small appetites here Very easy to double up if needed though!

For premade vegan food, I love Linda McCartney's... we do sometimes have their sausages and sausage rolls. The vegan Quorn line is okay too and the children love the fishless fingers as an occasional treat (when they are on offer usually)
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• allmannerofthings
    • By allmannerofthings 23rd May 17, 3:19 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    allmannerofthings
    • 23rd May 17, 3:19 PM
    • 23rd May 17, 3:19 PM
    Hi FoxFace, great idea to put your recipes here. I'm currently pescatarian, but very interested in eating more vegetarian/vegan so I've subscribed and looking forward to seeing more of your vegan recipes. Those sweet potato pancakes sound awesome!
    MFW #115 Mortgage April 2016 115000. Balance January 2019 95,315.65
    Original end date June 2030 (14 years) - aiming to pay off in by 2026 (10 years) or sooner.
    2019 overpayments 1004/3000
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 23rd May 17, 4:28 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    • 23rd May 17, 4:28 PM
    • 23rd May 17, 4:28 PM
    Hi FoxFace, great idea to put your recipes here. I'm currently pescatarian, but very interested in eating more vegetarian/vegan so I've subscribed and looking forward to seeing more of your vegan recipes. Those sweet potato pancakes sound awesome!
    Originally posted by allmannerofthings
    Thank you There is still a fair bit of negativity towards veganism, so it's always lovely to hear people are willing to give it a go

I think there is also a trend towards thinking veganism is difficult/boring/expensive, when in reality is isn't any of those things

Hopefully by sharing recipes, people might give it a go

I'm having baked potatoes tonight though, not sure I need to post a recipe for that
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• allmannerofthings
    • By allmannerofthings 23rd May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 606 Thanks
    allmannerofthings
    • 23rd May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 23rd May 17, 4:40 PM
    Thank you There is still a fair bit of negativity towards veganism, so it's always lovely to hear people are willing to give it a go

I think there is also a trend towards thinking veganism is difficult/boring/expensive, when in reality is isn't any of those things

:
    Originally posted by FoxFace
    I don't think it would be difficult for me to cook vegan at home, but going out is a different matter. Vegetarian was difficult enough locally. To be honest, I only eat fish as without doing so I would be unable to eat out or attend family occasions when we all go out for dinner I can't bear risotto and I hate nuts, and often those are my vegetarian options. I was completely vegetarian for a couple of years and then was confronted on a social occasion in a restaurant the night before my brother's wedding with literally nothing on the menu I could eat, I caved and got the fish rather than face embarrassment and make a fuss in front of my brother's new in-laws. I have been drawn towards veganism for a long time but I think eating out with my extended family and friends would be impossible and I wouldn't be invited to people's houses for dinner anymore either. My mother couldn't even cope with cooking for me as a vegetarian, we would always have to have an Indian takeaway. We have friends we used to visit for dinner once a month or so that reduced to twice a year when I became vegetarian. I don't think I'd be included in anything anymore as a vegan

That turned into a bit of a moanfest there! I'm really looking forward to trying your recipes
    Last edited by allmannerofthings; 23-05-2017 at 4:48 PM.
    MFW #115 Mortgage April 2016 115000. Balance January 2019 95,315.65
    Original end date June 2030 (14 years) - aiming to pay off in by 2026 (10 years) or sooner.
    2019 overpayments 1004/3000
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 23rd May 17, 5:05 PM
    • 17,560 Posts
    • 49,211 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    Re caving-in if restaurants/pubs haven't got a suitable option on the menu - why not explain the problem to them and ask them what they can make for you instead?

I'm not vegan - though I eat an increasing amount of vegan food - and it took me some time to summon up my nerve to ask for a doggie bag for any food I fancy eating but just am not hungry enough for and there is never a problem these days with that and they just provide me with one.

My "next project" clearly needs to be summoning up the nerve to ask for something suitable if there isn't anything for me on the menu. I think I'll start by asking on next home visit back to more fashionable/cosmopolitan home area and then work my way into asking in the area I live in now. The more people that ask for what they require (whether it's on the menu or no) = the sooner restaurants/pubs will get their head around "The customer is always right - and if we want to stay in business then........"
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 23-05-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 23rd May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    I don't think it would be difficult for me to cook vegan at home, but going out is a different matter. Vegetarian was difficult enough locally. To be honest, I only eat fish as without doing so I would be unable to eat out or attend family occasions when we all go out for dinner ...
    Originally posted by allmannerofthings
    The key to it is to show people that it isn't the big, scary thing that they seem to think it is... People are often quite intimidated because they think that it's something totally alien, when in reality everyone eats vegan products every single day, they just eat them alongside non- vegan products.

Don't be scared to ask restaurants to make something off menu, or serve you parts of meals you can eat. It might seem daunting but the more people ask, the more the companies know there is demand. This is how we end up with the likes of Pret a Manger and Zizzi, big chain brands, making specific vegan menus and products.

If it's friends, then you can always offer to prepare something yourself. It might seem a bit cheeky, but if you found out that you were intolerant to foods (gluten or dairy for example) would they stop inviting you then? Because that would be incredibly mean. In any case, I have been vegan over a year and haven't noticed any negativity from any of my friends... several have actually become vegetarian themselves
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• K9sandFelines
    • By K9sandFelines 23rd May 17, 11:19 PM
    • 2,115 Posts
    • 18,236 Thanks
    K9sandFelines
    Hi Fox Face. Been vegan for 18 mnths and vegetarian before that for three and a haf years and a four year period between 14-18.Daugter is vegetarian. I have subscribed. Not sure what i am cooking tomorrow as off work. We eat a combo of processed and homemade. Sometimes I just don't have the time or enthusiasm, so LMc, Quorn and Frys do help ��
    GC 2017 3,434.09 GC 2018 2,250.95 GC 2019 Jan 268.24/200 Feb 158.01/200 Mar 220.05/200 April (moving) May (adjusting 270.73), Jun 291.01/280 Jul /300
    ~ Still learning the art of frugality ~
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 24th May 17, 5:39 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    Hi Fox Face. Been vegan for 18 mnths and vegetarian before that for three and a haf years and a four year period between 14-18.Daugter is vegetarian. I have subscribed. Not sure what i am cooking tomorrow as off work. We eat a combo of processed and homemade. Sometimes I just don't have the time or enthusiasm, so LMc, Quorn and Frys do help ��
    Originally posted by K9sandFelines
    Hello, nice to "meet" you I agree that sometimes a little processed foods can be a godsend I do love to cook though and even after a long work day find it very therapeutic

Have a lovely day off
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 24th May 17, 5:55 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    This morning I threw together a basic hummus... an absolute staple in this house and way cheaper to make your own

Basic Hummus
    Serves (me with a spoon and copious amounts of toast usually)

Ingredients
    1 can chickpeas, drained
    2 tbl Lemon juice
    1 tbl Tahini paste
    2 tbl Olive oil
    2 garlic cloves
    1 tsp Cumin
    4 tbl water
    Pinch of salt

Method
    Grab a blender, plug it in
    Throw in all ingredients
    Blend until smooth*

*you may need to tweak the cumin, garlic, oil and lemon to taste

Makes amazing sandwiches with a chutney. Also fab spread on toast, spooned over baked potatoes or just eaten with tortillas as a dip
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

• Cappella
    • By Cappella 24th May 17, 7:05 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 8,751 Thanks
    Cappella
    I've just made a batch of your hummus My d-in-law is vegan, and my d is vegetarian and they eat here twice a week, so your thread is a godsend. Many thanks for starting it.
    I have vegan cookery books, but some of the ingredients are quite expensive and hard for me to source locally (nutritional yeast puzzles me) and I'm often not in to take in parcels so tend not to buy much online.
    Thank you again, I look forward to more recipes yet to come
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 24th May 17, 8:31 AM
    • 2,822 Posts
    • 13,267 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I am an omnivore....for some time I was a vegetarian (I chose to stop eating meat when I lived in a place where it was difficult to source it ethically.....and yes I KNOW that the concept of ethicially sourcing meat could be a topic for HOURS of debate with a vegan...but not on this thread which is dedicated to Fox's yummy recipes!)

Although I now eat meat at times, I still make the choice to eat vegetarian quite often ...mostly because some of the recipes are so delicious! Two of my favourite curries are not only vegetarian but also happen to be vegan (Mum's chickpea and mushroom...and my own courgette, chickpea and coconut).

I will certainly be keeping a check on this thread for inspiration!

Do you take recipe 'requests' Fox????...any chance of a really tasty burger and/or sausage type of recipe? (other than the ubiquitous spicy-bean-burger!)...preferably one that I can freeze as I live alone.
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 24th May 17, 9:25 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 18,507 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    Urgent appeal to Foxy.....

Been veggie for nearly four decades and have been avoiding dairy for the last five years.

The only problem I have is CAKE... no matter what I try I just can't make a well risen cake. I do love cake....oooh yes..... so, have you got a recipe or top tips for a nice deep cake rather than one (like I produce) which always resembles more of a flatter tray bake?

I've tried all the usual egg substitutes such as Vegg, VeganEgg, apple sauce, vinegar etc... tried using various shapes and sizes of tin... just can't manage a good rise.

Help
    • elsiepac
    • By elsiepac 24th May 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,704 Posts
    • 12,616 Thanks
    elsiepac
    Hi Tiddlywinks - sorry ot butt in, just wanted to say... the key to making a vegan cake rise, is to mix the dry and wet ingredients separately. Have EVERYTHING ready before adding wet to dry. When you do, mix quickly, but not over thoroughly. Bash the tin (gently but firmly!) on the side a few times to pop any air bubbles that are already rising and get in the oven asap. Makes a world of difference.

Hope that helps!

elsie
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Apr 19 59.94/200
    Vegan 27-8-13
    • Tiddlywinks
    • By Tiddlywinks 24th May 17, 11:13 AM
    • 5,351 Posts
    • 18,507 Thanks
    Tiddlywinks
    Hi Tiddlywinks - sorry ot butt in, just wanted to say... the key to making a vegan cake rise, is to mix the dry and wet ingredients separately. Have EVERYTHING ready before adding wet to dry. When you do, mix quickly, but not over thoroughly. Bash the tin (gently but firmly!) on the side a few times to pop any air bubbles that are already rising and get in the oven asap. Makes a world of difference.

Hope that helps!

elsie
    Originally posted by elsiepac
    What do you use as an egg replacer in sponges Elsie?
    • FoxFace
    • By FoxFace 24th May 17, 11:32 AM
    • 282 Posts
    • 3,123 Thanks
    FoxFace
    Wow I went to work for a bit and my thread exploded!

Will answer in order

Capella ~ Thank you, glad you like the thread and hope you enjoyed the hummus With regards to Nooch (Nutritional Yeast) it's a really good vegan staple, with a kind of cheesy taste. It looks a bit like fish flakes, but is used in a LOT of vegan recipes and will probably be in a fair few of mine. It's about 2-3 a huge tub in health food shops (including H0lland & Barrett) and lasts absolutely ages It is also very nutritious and a great way to get B12 in your diet

Prinzessilein - I actually made a recipe this week for a really healthy mix that can be shaped however you like It made loads and we got burgers for dinner and I made "sausages" out of the same mix for a couple of days later. I shall make a note to post a recipe asap

Tiddlywinks ~ I don't really bake all that much I'm afraid. But an amazing and very easy way to make vegan cake is to grab a Betty Crocker cake mix (I think a few shop own ones are vegan too ) and 300ml of any fizzy pop or fizzy water. Literally add the fizzy to the dry mix (nothing else required), mix and bake as normal. Hubby makes Crocker chocolate cake with cola frequently and it's amazing and very fluffy. Just a note that the red velvet mix isn't vegan as it contains cochineal (crushed beetles, eugh!). Oh and Betty Crocker frosting is also vegan

Oh edit to add... for baking from scratch, have you looked into using aquafaba? It's basically the water from a tin of chickpeas... sounds gross but you can freeze any you have then defrost for later. You can actually make vegan meringues from it as it whips up fluffy, can be used in vegan mousses and it can be used to add height to cakes too, I believe. I've never tried it but you might want to look into it, if you haven't already?
    Last edited by FoxFace; 24-05-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    ~Fox's Vegan Recipes~

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

855Posts Today

6,369Users online

Martin's Twitter