Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • DFlights
    • By DFlights 18th May 17, 10:58 AM
    • 122Posts
    • 229Thanks
    ID Problems
    • #1
    • 18th May 17, 10:58 AM
    ID Problems 18th May 17 at 10:58 AM
    I need some advice regarding my partner's ID. The problem is, he doesn't have any. I'll explain;

    His mother divorced and remarried when he was around six years old (he's now mid-forties). His stepdad never formally adopted him, but they changed the surname they used for him, and he's carried on doing this as he likes the name. His original surname is now used as a middle name. Bio dad is out of the picture completely and has been for as long as OH can remember, and OH has absolutely no intention of contacting him, has no interest, doesn't want to know. Nobody else does, either.
    OH has never learned to drive, and his paper learner's licence ran out many years ago. He also doesn't have a passport as he's never been abroad. His birth certificate is in his old surname. He's managed to open bank accounts, etc, with his preferred surname, but the issues may arise if he ever changes jobs or wants to obtain a driving licence or passport.

    What can he do about it? He really doesn't want to drop his now-used surname as he's been using it for decades, but there are no official documents to back that up. I'm also trying to get him to write a will at some point, will he need formal ID for that? I think I took some ID to my solicitor when I did mine, but I rally can't remember.

    I've suggested he do a deed poll name change, just to have something formal, but after googling for it, there are loads of websites offering this service but I have no idea which are money-grabbing scams and which are genuine and official.

    Any help most appreciated, thank you.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 18th May 17, 11:02 AM
    • 33,055 Posts
    • 38,625 Thanks
    • #2
    • 18th May 17, 11:02 AM
    • #2
    • 18th May 17, 11:02 AM
    government guide to deed poll , to use it in the manner hes requiring it needs to be "enrolled"

    Make your own deed poll
    You need to be 16 or over to make your own deed poll.
    Make your deed poll using the following wording:
    !!!8220;I [old name] of [your address] have given up my name [old name] and have adopted for all purposes the name [new name].
    !!!8220;Signed as a deed on [date] as [old name] and [new name] in the presence of [witness 1 name] of [witness 1 address], and [witness 2 name] of [witness 2 address].
    !!!8220;[your new signature], [your old signature]
    !!!8220;[witness 1 signature], [witness 2 signature]!!!8221;
    A specialist agency or a solicitor can make the deed poll for you instead - they may charge a fee.
    After you!!!8217;ve made it, you can use your deed poll as proof of your new name.
    Some organisations will only accept a deed poll as proof of your new name if it!!!8217;s been enrolled with the courts. Ask the organisation you!!!8217;re dealing with (for example, your bank) if they need to see your deed poll certificate.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 18th May 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7,717 Posts
    • 11,275 Thanks
    • #3
    • 18th May 17, 11:03 AM
    • #3
    • 18th May 17, 11:03 AM
    No need to use any of those websites - all the info you need is here
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • DFlights
    • By DFlights 18th May 17, 11:05 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    • #4
    • 18th May 17, 11:05 AM
    • #4
    • 18th May 17, 11:05 AM
    Thank you both, I'll show him later.
    • Madbags
    • By Madbags 18th May 17, 11:06 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    • #5
    • 18th May 17, 11:06 AM
    • #5
    • 18th May 17, 11:06 AM
    My surname on my birth certificate is different to the one I actually use. I never had any problems getting a Passport or Driver license.

    My parents weren't married when I was born and my surname was put down as my mothers surname on the birth certificate. But when they put me into school they put me down as my fathers surname. I have always used my fathers surname.

    Anyway even when I sent my original birth certificate to DVLA etc. they never questioned it and I've never changed my name officially by deed poll.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 18th May 17, 3:37 PM
    • 7,372 Posts
    • 10,616 Thanks
    • #6
    • 18th May 17, 3:37 PM
    • #6
    • 18th May 17, 3:37 PM
    Once the name is sorted out, I would recommend a passport even if the only use is ID.

    I don't drive but am happy over the last 10 years having had a passport, although I've not been on holiday, I've used it for ID many times.

    Once you break down the cost over the 10 year period I don't consider it expensive.
    • DarkShadow
    • By DarkShadow 18th May 17, 4:14 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    • #7
    • 18th May 17, 4:14 PM
    • #7
    • 18th May 17, 4:14 PM
    If he doesnt have a proper ID, how do you know he is for real?
    Food for thought.
    Bank accounts
    Santander : 14 year relationship, 0 problems to date.
    • Ponsienella
    • By Ponsienella 18th May 17, 11:00 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    • #8
    • 18th May 17, 11:00 PM
    • #8
    • 18th May 17, 11:00 PM
    He can always change his name by Statutory Declaration which is fairly inexpensive and just involves swearing an oath in front of Commissioner of Oaths. This is what my partner did.

    He was told Deed Poll is mainly for people who have already got Professional qualifications.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

120Posts Today

1,268Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin