PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

All Gone Wrong - Housing offer.

Options

Comments

• gingercordial
    gingercordial Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

So I have one option. Its all that is left.

Maybe afterwards there will be an investigation, I don't know.

My poor kids. But I can't help them. I've spent the afternoon screaming. Trying to find help. Trying to talk calmly, Breaking down when I couldn't. There's nothing.

Deanna, I hope I'm being over-anxious in how I'm reading the bits I've quoted and they don't mean you're thinking of doing something silly. Things may seem very hopeless but your children need you. Call the Samaritans if you need somebody to listen to what you're going through tonight (and we will be here too).

If I am reading that too dramatically, I apologise. Hugs to you either way.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 May 2017 at 7:47AM
    Options
    Deleted, fairly irrelevant. Yes I do have a choice. I've made it.

Gift horse oh god.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There is something you can do. You have a choice.

I totally understand that you are anxious and upset but you owe it to yourself and to your family to spend some time trying to make this work, not to crumble and make assumptions. You must talk properly with the housing officer. Just rejecting the offer out of hand is self-sabotage - I do understand why, it is not a criticism, it is what it is. You have more time to reject it, it didn't have to be done straight away.

One step at a time. Instead of concentrating on the end goal, concentrate on the first baby step.

Undo the rejection. Give yourself some time to make a properly considered decision.

Make a list of questions. Email the housing officer. Ask about seeing the house and ask if the other family would also be prepared to wait for another couple of weeks. Ask how it works with a swap if the house has items left behind or needs repairs.

And if it doesn't suit you once you have seen the house and had replies, then do you get the chance of another offer of a genuinely empty property? I get the feeling that a swap is the best opportunity to move earlier.

The only thing you *ever* have to deal with is the next 60 seconds.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I too moved 5 minutes, last year

Professional moving compny = £1500

Local man and van, £350, if I packed the kitchen and books and clothes. He took furiture apart and reassembled it.

As I was not moving a grand piano, I went with local guy.

I suggest
    - call housing, say you were stressed by the 2 weeks, but if the offer is still there, you would like to see the house
    - buy a notebook and a good pen, and write down the questions you have for the couple. They are deaf, not deaf/blind?
    - get on freegle for moving boxes. Someone alway has some!
    - look on your local facebook group for man and van
    - ask on local facebook group for help. People are kind.

You are such a fighter for your family; I believe in you! You don't have to believe you can do it, because I will believe for both of us.

Just make the call. There will be a way!

You CAN do this! And you know you can. The couple need to move just as much as you do. And proably don't want 2 weeks notice either!

I hope today seems brighter for you.

xx
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • SnooksNJ
    SnooksNJ Posts: 829 Forumite
    Options

I must be supremely nieve but I dont' understand how housing can treat my family in this way. Maybe afterwards there will be an investigation, I don't know. All I can hope for. Why couldn't they offer me something workable? They just arent' listening at all.

My poor kids. But I can't help them. I've spent the afternoon screaming. Trying to find help. Trying to talk calmly, Breaking down when I couldn't. There's nothing.
    Dreadful situation. Sorry folks.
    An investigation? For what? Because of the 2 week time scale given and some misconceptions about the deaf and educationally challenged being unable to communicate and will leave furniture behind?
    If the folks at Gravesend Housing are so incompetent that in your estimation need to be investigated, I think it's a great idea to communicate with this couple directly. Maybe they would also like the extra time to move? Maybe they are decent people who could help you move or know someone who could help.
    If this is a "bedroom tax" issue I'm sure they would want to make this work as much as you do.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It seems to me that you have been too hasty in turning down this property.

You said in a previous post that it is almost on your doorstep.

Could you not have dropped in a note to the current occupiers asking about arranging a meeting?

If they have communication difficulties, social services should have been able to provide assistance?

And the ground floor three bedroom property you have always wanted is worth any temporary hassle?

And anyway, your preparations seemed well in hand?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=72529170#post72529170 post 24
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    All good advice.

Also the couple have a child, unless the child is very small they may be used to communicating for their parents. Either way this couple will have mechanisms in place to communicate.

I used to date a man who was deaf. I had a full blown panic attack in New York and (from the UK) he managed to calm me down and get a car to take me back to my hotel. His communication skills were far better than mine because he couldn't take them for granted like most of us can.

I hope you're feeling less overwhelmed today. Let us know how you get on with speaking to the housing officer.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have read a lot of your previous posts and you are usually so confident and positive.
    I can understand the thought of moving in two weeks is panicking you, especially with no help. Are your sons in a position to help pack things away in boxes? Are you a church goer? I'm sure if someone from church knew you were struggling they would offer some help.
    Most of the charity shops have a van that picks up or delivers large items, do you think you could ask for help from them?
    Also, the couple who are moving into your house, could you share a van?
    The council seem to be saying the move will take place in two weeks but leaving things for you and the other couple to sort out, so what will happen if it takes three weeks or four weeks, as long as both couples involved agree?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I was just about to mention that the child, if older, is likely to be able to help the parents communicate. They must be fairly proficient at they would not be left alone to rear a child.

If the property isn't too far away,go for a little walk tonight. You will get a feel for the vicinity and can tell a lot about the interior of a house just by looking at the outside. eg furniture on the front lawn does not bode well for the interior, but a well kept garden does.

Do have a look inside before agreeing, as my son stuck in a small two bedroom with partner and three children of both sexes,was offered a number of swaps, all of which were in a bad state (a problem as decorating grants are no longer offered), but they now have a lovely house after hanging on.

In this case the housing officer actually told my son that he would not accept the dilapidated properties,but I believe with some authorities you are only allowed a small number of freuals before you are moved down the priority list, so be careful.
  • Rosieandjim
    Rosieandjim Posts: 254 Forumite
    edited 18 May 2017 at 4:51PM
    Options
    Hmmm! I can understand perfectly why they are moving 2 deaf/mute people from a ground floor flat in a not very nice area. They will be much safer on the first floor or above.

However, if you want this GF Property you will have to move as soon as you can even if it was an offer on an empty property you would still have to move quickly or risk having to pay rent on both properties as we did to gain an extra weeks grace.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure