Aldi prices creeping up

Comments

• maman
    maman Posts: 28,566 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    robin58 wrote: »
    No I'm not. I used to work for a conglomerate once. I could predict with certainly when the barstewards would put up thier prices to make the most out of a period of high demand.

It's just that I have been shopping more regularly at Aldi in the last 4 years and for awhile prices were going down. But I rarely saw anybody on the Lidl/Aldi thread mention them.

Agree that Aldi and Lidl have done alot to keep prices low. I do all my basic food shops at both. Then I get the bits and bobs I can't get there, elsewhere.

Yes, but it really is just bits and bobs or brands that you really love. I think that's been a very welcome change. It's now quite possible to do a full shop in Aldi.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    robin58 wrote: »
    Gets me when I see this thread. Nobody ever did a 'Aldi prices are going down' thread. Only moan when it goes up.

I can tell you alot went down over a period until mid June last year.

Damn, I must have missed your thread on that then ;)

Anyway, in the interest of money saving & fair play, this is this week's comparison from me:

ALDI £54.97 :T

Asda £62.81

Tesco £65.07
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 30 May 2017 at 8:16AM
    I shop in Lidl and Aldi, am lucky enough to have both within 5 minutes walk - they are literally across a junction from each other.

I buy Lidl own tea and coffee, both are cheap and fine. I changed from PG Tips to Sainsbury, then when Sainsbury's basics went up to 50p for 40 bags I went over to Knightsbridge tea (currently £1.49 for 160) and find it quite nice.

I am still amazed when I look through some of the reductions in Asda fruit and veg and they are more expensive than the normal prices in Lidl/Aldi, but I vary which one I shop in anyway. The other day I wanted some spring onions, the ones in Aldi were rather skinny and 49p a bunch, the ones in Lidl were 56p a bunch but were nice and plump so went for those. I tend to get my milk in Lidl though, just because the label on the Aldi one makes it difficult to tell what level the milk is at as it goes right round, but I get my squirty cream in Aldi because the squirter on the Lidl one is too big.

On the whole I very rarely shop in the other supermarkets now, the one thing that gets me there is peanut butter which is considerably cheaper in Tesco/Asda than it is in either Lidl or Aldi (I use the value crunchy).

On the whole, the things I buy have tended to be fairly steady price-wise or have gone down (tea has at the moment), the chips mentioned previously have always been marked at 57p in my Lidl, have simply gone through at 50p, I have tended towards the crinkle cut ones recently though.

As for the price of eggs, the difference between Lidl and, say, Tesco is massive. I get 10 large eggs in Lidl for about 75p, the equivalent in Tesco is twice that price. Their packs of 15 "mixed-size" value eggs for £1.25 tend to be mixed in the smaller range and we use larger eggs in this house, if I get small eggs OH uses two in his omelette!

On the whole I cant see myself changing back to Tesco in a hurry - and one of the biggest ones in the country is 15 minutes walk from us.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary

On the whole I cant see myself changing back to Tesco in a hurry - and one of the biggest ones in the country is 15 minutes walk from us.

Couldn't agree with you more - and size may have a lot to do with it too. We too have a massive new Tesco (one of the last they built before they stopped the building programme) but it takes about an hour to get round it.

Aldi takes 20 minutes, tops, and I really don't want or need 5 types of ketchup to choose from.

So not only is Aldi (or Lidl for that matter) 30% cheaper on average, but it's also a big time saver - unless you prefer to shop online of course. The quality's also better - though you'll never convince diehard Tesco shoppers of that!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I have a Tesco metro three minutes from my house yet my Aldi and Lidl's is 5 miles away and even with the price of diesel its still worth my while to drive there twice a month to get my shopping. Never use Tesco's anymore or Sainsburys and I detest Adsa's . Even if the cheaper supermarkets prices have risen slightly its nothing like the prices of the big ones.a penny or two in aldis and lidls is a cheap price to pay whereas in tesco's, s'burys 'asdas etc it goes up in leaps and bounds.Our local Tecos superstore always looks half empty when I drive past
  • pakokelso93
    pakokelso93 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 June 2017 at 1:08AM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Through necessity, originally. One of the few happy side effects of the last recession was that we were forced to be far more considered in our purchases. This is something that I doubt anyone under the age of 26 will understand first hand.

I do.:money::D
    CAZBEAR wrote: »
    I quite miss "kwikkys", it was like supermarkets own value brands all the way round the shop !!

Kwik Save! Ahh as a kid back in the day. Questionable food output in that shop ha!
    PK! :money:
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Aldi were cheaper again this week, but not by much:

Aldi £39.88 :j

Asda £44.65

Tesco £42.95
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I need online shopping now so I stick to Sainsbugs, but if I ever get taken up to Aldi I buy loads of their tea and decaff tea, their salted crisps, and their washing up liq. If we had one nearer I'd ditch Sainsbugs and just go, because it's a nice wee shop not too tiring to walk around.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Lidl thick bread now £1.
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The Brexit impact's really starting to bite now, unfortunately, and even Aldi can't hold down prices for ever when the pound's fallen so much.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure