Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneymeltdown
    • By moneymeltdown 16th May 17, 8:50 PM
    • 264Posts
    • 97Thanks
    moneymeltdown
    Blemain(Un)Together Secured Hell
    • 16th May 17, 8:50 PM
    Blemain(Un)Together Secured Hell 16th May 17 at 8:50 PM
    hello everyone,
    It's been a while since I posted here but it's good to be back!

I have got a horrible situation with Blemain - now Together - and was wondering if anyone has any wise words/advice on how to deal with these crooks.

In brief, I took out a secured loan with Blemain almost 10 years ago (this is certainly in the top 5 of the worst decisions I have ever made)

Thinking I had almost made it to the finish line after a decade of crippling, life ruining monthly repayments, imagine my surprise when I found out recently I still have a whopping balance to clear!

I could not understand it at all so requested a breakdown. The list of extra charges and HUGE interest charges on every single item over the years is eye-wateringly ridiculous.

For example, crazy inflated charges for buildings insurance that they supplied despite me having my own. I think I had to have my own building insurance as part of the actual loan agreement.
    Charges for home visits? I mean .. what ever for?

In the unlikely event that I could pay this off early, there would be an unrealistic and enormous redemption figure to pay also.

Is any of this legal? Has anyone here ever challenged their shady practices? it is SO depressing as I doubt I'll ever be free of this awful loan.

Any help and advice is greatly appreciated ...thankyou!
    "happiness is...positive cashflow!"
Page 2
    • suffeing
    • By suffeing 5th Feb 18, 11:22 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    suffeing
    I cant believe in the early post replies you were being told its perfectly legal to over charge you and add interest on it. This company has a bad history of unfair chargies and part of its company and Cheif executive have been fined over £1.25 million pounds and its well documented.
    Anyone who has had any dealing with the Blemain group should carfully check their statements and challenge everything
    P.S The unfair relationship law which replaced extortion is useless as the spineless judges have failed to impliment it in and set a president.
    Last edited by suffeing; 05-02-2018 at 11:32 AM.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 5th Feb 18, 2:07 PM
    • 13,779 Posts
    • 13,095 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I cant believe in the early post replies you were being told its perfectly legal to over charge you and add interest on it. This company has a bad history of unfair chargies and part of its company and Cheif executive have been fined over £1.25 million pounds and its well documented.
    Anyone who has had any dealing with the Blemain group should carfully check their statements and challenge everything
    P.S The unfair relationship law which replaced extortion is useless as the spineless judges have failed to impliment it in and set a president.
    Originally posted by suffeing
    To be fair, these charges will of been listed on the original agreement, although i said they may be legal, i didn't say they were fair, and the only way to challenge them is by either the complaints route, or by going to court.

Personally i`d complain first.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 5th Feb 18, 2:12 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 63,305 Thanks
    D_M_E
    Provided you have paid all instalments on time without fail - dig out the original loan agreement and carefully check the terms and conditions written in the agreement and see if, under those terms, they are allowed to add extra charges and what for.

You say you sent them details of necessary insurance which they deny receiving so they have compulsorily added those premiums without your knowledge to the amount outstanding, and interest and further charges as a result.

My reaction would be to see a solicitor and take them to court to get all and any such extra charges rescinded on the possible grounds of breach of contract on their part - as you say, why would you need them to take out insurance in your name - thereby earning them commission for any policy - when you already have your own, for which you provided proof to them of same.

Contacting the Post Office and asking if they can trace a recorded delivery item from long ago may be a long shot which may pay off.
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 5th Feb 18, 2:55 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    BBH123
    Originally posted by suffeing

The trouble with them is you never get a statement. I have had a loan with them for 10 years and not one statement despite frequently asking They are sharks.
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3550/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - £1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 5th Feb 18, 3:20 PM
    • 13,779 Posts
    • 13,095 Thanks
    sourcrates
    The trouble with them is you never get a statement. I have had a loan with them for 10 years and not one statement despite frequently asking They are sharks.
    Originally posted by BBH123
    If this is the case, and your loan is regarded as a "fixed sum credit agreement" and is regulated by the consumer credit act, then you are due a refund of interest and charges for the periods you went without a statement of account.

Sec 77A Statements to be provided in relation to fixed-sum credit agreements

[F2(1)The creditor under a regulated agreement for fixed-sum credit must give the debtor statements under this section.

(1A)The statements must relate to consecutive periods.

(1B)The first such period must begin with either!!!8212;

(a)the day on which the agreement is made, or

(b)the day the first movement occurs on the debtor's account with the creditor relating to the agreement.

(1C)No such period may exceed a year.

(6)Where this subsection applies in relation to a failure to give a statement under this section to the debtor!!!8212;

Non compliance results in :

(a)the creditor shall not be entitled to enforce the agreement during the period of non-compliance;

(b)the debtor shall have no liability to pay any sum of interest to the extent calculated by reference to the period of non-compliance or to any part of it; and

(c)the debtor shall have no liability to pay any default sum which (apart from this paragraph)!!!8212;

(i)would have become payable during the period of non-compliance; or

(ii)would have become payable after the end of that period in connection with a breach of the agreement which occurs during that period (whether or not the breach continues after the end of that period).

Full text here :

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1974/39/section/77A
    Last edited by sourcrates; 05-02-2018 at 3:22 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • BBH123
    • By BBH123 14th Feb 18, 7:33 PM
    • 610 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    BBH123
    Mine is classed as a commercial mortgage as I bought some land.
    Save 12k in 2018 challenge #14
    3550/ 10000

Saving for Christmas 2018 - £1 a day challenge
    #15 120/365
    • MentalMinnie
    • By MentalMinnie 14th Feb 18, 8:29 PM
    • 764 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    MentalMinnie
    I have nothing to add apart from my mum got involved with this company over 10 years ago with a secured loan. Basically it got so bad that they issued a repo order on the house. Fortunately she decided to get legal advise and it went to court, she won and the loan was wiped, and Blamain were ordered to repay her some money. I donít know the ins and outs of it, I was only 18 I think at the time and she wasnít very forthcoming with the info (my mum wasnít great with money unfortunately) the judge ripped a strip off of them though, I remember that much.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,811Posts Today

8,596Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Facebook today admitted in parliament that after it heard of my defamation lawsuit against it for 50 fake scam ads? https://t.co/XttOnyH9sq

• RT @jamiesusskind: After more than 10 years, and with such sadness, I am leaving Labour. I'm doing it for the same reason that I joined: be?

• RT @Deeangelique_: I suggested @MartinSLewis get 'I Don't Do Ads' tattooed to his forehead yesterday. Today he posted this. I gave Martin L?

• Follow Martin