Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Katie11
    Weekly shopping Budget how much??
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:01 PM
    Weekly shopping Budget how much?? 1st Oct 07 at 2:01 PM
    Hi all i am newbie me and my DP are in the process of sorting through of finances and totaling up everything at the moment we realise we have to cut costs and top of the list is shopping after going through 3 months worth of statements and working out an average of what we spend in the supermarket we are first going to cut this but cant decide on a realistic figure any suggestions would be much appreciated. Until this point we have spent around 450 a month (sometimes more) this is for 2 adults and one child i thought around 70 weekly and this would include nappies and wipes etc for my son. what do you think ??

thanks
Page 1
    • earwig
    • By earwig 1st Oct 07, 2:05 PM
    • 1,052 Posts
    • 693 Thanks
    earwig
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:05 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:05 PM
    hi that would be a good starting point we are two adults and two kids and we spend around 55 pounds per week and could do it cheeper if oh wasnt a brand name king and insist that all meat comes from the bucthers we used to spend 120 per week easy dont really know what on then i cut it down in steps to what it is now good luck
    i cant slow down i wont be waiting for you i cant stop now because im dancing
  • bonnie
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:06 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:06 PM
    I would say about 80, i spend seventy on 2 adults and 2 kids, but it is a struggle and only buy value. With nappies etc i would suggest you need a bit more. National debtlines suggest 80 for a couple and one child so go with that then the creditors can't say your spending too much. Any left, use for a outing.
    • Elliesmum
    • By Elliesmum 1st Oct 07, 2:09 PM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 1,782 Thanks
    Elliesmum
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:09 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:09 PM
    Katie11 - have a look on the old style board, lots of threads on this subject with loads of good advice and tips etc.

Start with 70 and see how you go - one of the suggestions is to keep a food spending diary so you can see where your budget goes.

Good luck.

EM xx
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato Make 2018 in 2018 no. 37 - total = 1626.25/2018
    • immoral_angeluk
    • By immoral_angeluk 1st Oct 07, 2:30 PM
    • 23,754 Posts
    • 22,635 Thanks
    immoral_angeluk
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:30 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:30 PM
    50 a week for 2 adults and 2 under 3 here.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt 29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Katie11
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:55 PM
    • 1st Oct 07, 2:55 PM
    thanks to all for advice think i will start around 80 per week as this is still a big drop for us. thanks again
    • michaels
    • By michaels 3rd Oct 07, 8:09 AM
    • 21,597 Posts
    • 100,324 Thanks
    michaels
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:09 AM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:09 AM
    I find you can spend/save £10 a week on little things like juices and 'extras' like cakes that it you don't have you don't eat/drink.

I save a lot by shopping online from tesco whenever there is a good voucher (currently every week in October there is £10 of £30 which covers the £4 delivery charge and still gives £6 off). MY main shop is at sains but anyhting non perishable I add to the tesco shop, I am also ruthless about what is on special (for example we eat different cereals depending what is on special) and I have enough savings to stock up on stuff we use regularly whenever it is on bogof to avoid as much as possible paying full price.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 07, 8:12 AM
    • 64,977 Posts
    • 381,342 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:12 AM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:12 AM
    I spend 10/week on all food/groceries for myself.
    This is for all meals (I don't eat in work canteens, I don't go out to dinner, I don't buy fast food)
    I don't have alcohol, cakes, biscuits.
    I don't buy meat.
    My total food waste is a maximum of 1/4 of a loaf of bread every 10 days.
  • postingalwaysposting
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:21 AM
    • 3rd Oct 07, 8:21 AM
    there are many factors that can help/hinder the process of dropping what you spend in groceries. I would agree though take it in steps, if you 1/2 what you usually spend on week one you arnt going to succeed. Look on the o/s board http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.html?f=33 they have fab very cheap recipies, you can batch cook and then take the extras to work or have it at home when you are alone.

Also look at things you buy with your shopping ie toiletries see if you can buy these when on offer ie bogof/3 for 2 as they work out cheaper, also baby wipes, buy a small bag for when going out but when around the house buy some cheap soft cloths and dampen them with water and wash to reuse (save money and the environment). Honestly this can be done, but small steps make big ones. Dont rush into anything but give yourselfs a few months to get used to the idea and i promise this bill/outgoing will reduce

good luck

• carlih1
    This is copied from the Nationals Debt Lines proposed spend for families:-
    Housekeeping.This should include food, toiletries, cleaning
    materials, newspapers and so on and a small amount for
    entertainment and other spending.A rough guide would be
    as follows.
    Weekly housekeeping budget
    Single person £35 to £45
    Couple £60 to £75
    Each child £20 to £35
    Non-dependant £20 to £35
    Monthly housekeeping budget
    Single person £152 to £195
    Couple £260 to £325
    Each child £87 to £152
    Non-dependant £87 to £152
    You may find your total housekeeping bill is less
    than these figures if you have a larger family and
    bulk-buy and so on.Your non-dependant may cost
    more depending on their age.
    hth

Carli x
  • yeoyeo
    I spend 10/week on all food/groceries for myself.
    This is for all meals (I don't eat in work canteens, I don't go out to dinner, I don't buy fast food)
    I don't buy meat.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    PasturesNew how do you do this?!?! I appreciate the no meat and alcohol keeps it down, but how do you get all nutrients etc on just 10??
  • mvnefyn
    Hi all i am newbie me and my DP are in the process of sorting through of finances and totaling up everything at the moment we realise we have to cut costs and top of the list is shopping after going through 3 months worth of statements and working out an average of what we spend in the supermarket we are first going to cut this but cant decide on a realistic figure any suggestions would be much appreciated. Until this point we have spent around 450 a month (sometimes more) this is for 2 adults and one child i thought around 70 weekly and this would include nappies and wipes etc for my son. what do you think ??

thanks
    Originally posted by Katie11
    Hi,

70 sounds good. We are two adults and two children aged 11 and 8 and I manage on 70. Some weeks I spend a little more and most a little less cos of course soap powder and other cleaning products are purchased less regularly so the overall figure balances out at 70 per week. I have a box freezer at home and find that the best way I save is to pick up food on the reduced shelf and put it in the freezer. Sometimes by doing this we can get some stuff I wouldn't normally feel I can afford. If you are lucky you will find BOGOFs that you would use and again, I would spend more money that week than normal in order to make a saving in the long run. Finally, definitely drop the little extras eg biscuits, crisps. They really add up and if you don't have them you might be surprised at how little you miss them (that's if you do eat them anyway!) So don't forget that going "over budget" one week might save you money in the next three weeks. Good luck!!!
    • cat4772
    • By cat4772 3rd Oct 07, 11:12 AM
    • 2,454 Posts
    • 4,347 Thanks
    cat4772
    Katie

Try the OS boards. DH and I were spending about 100 a week (including takeaways managing but still wasting about 30 of food each week). Since then, we
    make a list of things we need and stick to it
    make a lot of things from scratch (for a fraction of the cost)
    double up quantities and freeze half etc.
    take extra money (10-20) to take advantage of bogofs and special offers (but only on the things we'd normally use).

But it really is small steps and don't be disappointed if for the first couple of trips you overspend!

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    never attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    the thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC 113.53 / 325
    • JCD_Capulet
    • By JCD_Capulet 3rd Oct 07, 11:26 AM
    • 1,345 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    JCD_Capulet
    I spend £10/week on all food/groceries for myself.
    I don't buy meat.
    Originally posted by PasturesNew
    Pretty much the same as me here. £10pw and currently planning and meal planning to cut this down to £5 per week. The first month or so are always the hardest, but it's second nature from there on in.
    Debt free since 2014 - now saving for a mortgage deposit
    This time I'm on top of it! We live and learn
  • SarahNeedle1872
    Pretty much the same as me here. 10pw and currently planning and meal planning to cut this down to 5 per week. The first month or so are always the hardest, but it's second nature from there on in.
    Originally posted by JCD_Capulet
    Bl00dy hell, that's good! That is proper discipline!

Katie, 70 is a good place to start......
    Definately get over to the OS board and have a look around, and I'd say make a meal plan, write a list and stick to it. What nappies and wipes do u use? Tesco nappies are as good as Pampers, they come highly recommended from this household at least, and I only ever buy wipes when they're on offer... Haven't used Tesco or Sains own brand, but Boots own brand are good, pretty much always on offer, and if u join their mother/baby club, u get double advantage points - I save my points for buying presents, me treats or when I'm really really skint and need to buy nappies/wipes.
    Buy as much value stuff as u can, and if u really don't like it, trade up to the supermarket own brand - u'll save a fortune that way... My OH is a complete brand freak too, so I leave him at home wherever possible

Sarah x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
    • CharliesAngel
    • By CharliesAngel 3rd Oct 07, 12:59 PM
    • 429 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    CharliesAngel
    Pretty much the same as me here. 10pw and currently planning and meal planning to cut this down to 5 per week. The first month or so are always the hardest, but it's second nature from there on in.
    Originally posted by JCD_Capulet
    I remember the days.... lol. Used to spend no more than 43/45 a month at asda but since the three jobs have kicked in I more often than not end up in the local corner (rip off) shop for something quick to eat...
    Proud to have dealt with with my debts
    Debt free from 18th March 2013, long may it continue!
    • terill
    • By terill 3rd Oct 07, 10:14 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    terill
    grocery shop
    Dear Newbie,

We have two adults and a hearty two year old. Changed last year from shopping at Tesco to LIDL for the main shop and have saved at least 125 a month. To be honest we eat better now as LIDL's smoked salmon, large prawns and fruit are so cheap that we buy so much more than we did at Tesco. Plus there is always a parking space free near the entrance whereas at previous supermarket we always had to park miles away; the shop took two hours; and there was always a massive queue at till. Also, buy toiletries from Wilkinsons and Savers for bigger bargains on named brands. Plus- changed to a water metre and saved extra 15 a month. Equals saving of around 2000 a year
  • petetidball
    For two adults and two children (3 years and 7 months) we spend about 180-200 a month on food and nappies/wipes/SMA/baby food. If I could get the wife to agree I reckon we could do it for 100 a month including meat (none of that veggie crap!) It would be a limited variety but would still have all the nutrients needed. I could do it for even less if the 7 month old would wait till I get home and cook for his tea, but he has yet to learn the art of patience.

Buying bulk, making double, freezing extra all help.
    :confused: Pardonez mois, mais votre cheval est dans mon cochon d'inde. :confused:

Proud to be dealing with my debts: DFW Nerd 610
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 07, 10:58 PM
    • 64,977 Posts
    • 381,342 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    PasturesNew how do you do this?!?! I appreciate the no meat and alcohol keeps it down, but how do you get all nutrients etc on just 10??
    Originally posted by yeoyeo
    Nutrients .... er ... never bothered to be honest

Today I've had:
    bag of chips 60p
    small slice of cake (somebody at work made)
    40g pack of julian graves "island mix": yoghurt covered raisins, raisins, pumpkin seeds - free, got given 20 packs about 3 weeks ago for spending 10 in their shop

Too tired when I got home from work to do last night's washing up and wash up the egg poacher and a plate. Else I'd have had 2 poached eggs, 2 pieces of toast (24p)
  • smousie
    OMG I can't believe everyone is able to manage on that amount! We probably spend £80-100 per week on two of us! However we do get organic veg and milk delivered, and buy free-range bacon and eggs, organic meat and cheese, and 100% fruit smoothies etc, all of which tends to cost a bit more. As well as that I have to buy the free-from food for my food allergies, and a pack of 9 wheat-free biscuits or 2 scones or 4 pitta breads all cost £2 each, which adds up the cost of the weekly shop. I also buy eco-friendly washing powder and shampoo, biodegradable binbags, non-animal-tested cosmetics etc, and that costs more too.

I've heard it said that the British spend a lower proportion of their salary on food than people in any other European country. I don't really mind spending a bit more on food and cosmetics, as I think what you fuel your body with and what you put on your skin directly affects your health, and I prefer to have good quality food and cosmetics and cut down in other areas of spending instead.
    Last edited by smousie; 04-10-2007 at 12:20 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

15Posts Today

4,116Users online

Martin's Twitter