Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sausage_time
    • By sausage_time 14th May 17, 9:43 AM
    • 102Posts
    • 29Thanks
    sausage_time
    Anyone tried Starling Bank?
    • 14th May 17, 9:43 AM
    Anyone tried Starling Bank? 14th May 17 at 9:43 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

Hi, if you're looking into app-based banking we have a fully researched guide that may help.

App-based banking

Back to the original thread...

Headlines (for me) are 0.5% interest (.25% above £2000 from June 2017) and no card fees for international use.

Any experience (positive or negative)?
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 09-01-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Page 10
    • wizzywig27
    • By wizzywig27 24th Feb 18, 1:31 PM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    wizzywig27
    Have to say I was impressed with them until I asked for an overdraft around Christmas (to clear the last of my Halifax). They said they!!!8217;d need to do a soft search, I said ok. They did a hard search.

Here I am almost two months later, then saying it!!!8217;s been removed, me checking my credit file to see it hasn!!!8217;t been. Them saying I now need to take it up to with Equifax. They also decided that as they have resolved my complaint they have decided not to uphold it.

Anyway I didnt fish for anything but they sent me two bars of chocolate to say sorry! Better than nothing but I just don!!!8217;t get how they can admit they screwed up then not uphold it?!
    Originally posted by wizzywig27
    Yeah I opened account and was given £250. I had £250 left on Halifax so asked them to increase if, they said no so I asked them if the overdraft team could look into it. They responded saying they could but would need to do a !!!8216;soft search!!!8217; (I still have the transcript on my app). They then did a hard search - they even admitted this was in error in the chat log in the app.

They then respond with !!!8216;Taking into account that this search has been removed within the timeframes given, we have decided not to uphold your complaint.!!!8217;

Either way it hasn!!!8217;t been removed and they are refusing to reopen my complaint and telling me to contact Equifax myself.

Their customer service is a joke!

It took them two weeks to provide me with a response!
    • Littleoldme
    • By Littleoldme 4th Mar 18, 6:52 AM
    • 562 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    Littleoldme
    I got a Starling Account to use for when I am traveling and just back from 3 weeks in Australia and really impressed with it. The exchange rate I got using it for POS was so close to the actual rate (much better than I got for the travel money I bought) and getting the instant push messages for each transaction was really handy as then I could check immediately that the charge was right. I didnt use it in an ATM so can not comment on that.

• 8i6daddy
    • By 8i6daddy 4th Mar 18, 8:34 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    8i6daddy
    I got a Starling Account to use for when I am traveling and just back from 3 weeks in Australia and really impressed with it. The exchange rate I got using it for POS was so close to the actual rate (much better than I got for the travel money I bought) and getting the instant push messages for each transaction was really handy as then I could check immediately that the charge was right. I didnt use it in an ATM so can not comment on that.
    Originally posted by Littleoldme
    Thanks for the feedback. I've got an account with Starling too but haven't used it abroad yet and am interested in how people are finding it. I can only imagine it being a godsend knowing exactly what's going on immediately rather than getting home after your trip and getting stung by a more mainstream bank
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 5th Mar 18, 11:20 AM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    eDicky
    Thanks for the feedback. I've got an account with Starling too but haven't used it abroad yet and am interested in how people are finding it. I can only imagine it being a godsend knowing exactly what's going on immediately rather than getting home after your trip and getting stung by a more mainstream bank
    Originally posted by 8i6daddy
    I've used it in various countries and find it perfect. No matter where, if your phone has connection the notification of a transaction pops up even before you take your card out of the terminal. The app loads very quickly, even with a slow connection, unlike many banking apps.
    • 8i6daddy
    • By 8i6daddy 5th Mar 18, 4:37 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    8i6daddy
    I've used it in various countries and find it perfect. No matter where, if your phone has connection the notification of a transaction pops up even before you take your card out of the terminal. The app loads very quickly, even with a slow connection, unlike many banking apps.
    Originally posted by eDicky
    I'm amazed at how quick the notifications are. My wife works in retail and whenever i'm in her shop we play a game to see who wins between my phone and her POS terminal... Starling has never lost yet, lol... same with Internet banking.. my Starling notification arrives before the confirmation screen on my laptop. Overall well impressed with both Starling and Monzo so far.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 5th Mar 18, 5:05 PM
    • 7,612 Posts
    • 5,011 Thanks
    Biggles
    I can only imagine it being a godsend knowing exactly what's going on immediately rather than getting home after your trip and getting stung by a more mainstream bank
    Originally posted by 8i6daddy
    I find it cute but not necessarily useful as a) I prefer to use a credit card where possible (the benefits are better and I like the delay in paying the bill); and b) if I use a debit card, the only time I need to know the balance is before I make another withdrawal, when I can access that bank's app to check.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 5th Mar 18, 6:04 PM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I find it cute but not necessarily useful as a) I prefer to use a credit card where possible (the benefits are better and I like the delay in paying the bill); and b) if I use a debit card, the only time I need to know the balance is before I make another withdrawal, when I can access that bank's app to check.
    Originally posted by Biggles
    Ok everyone, chop up your debit cards and use credit cards ROFL

Starling as do some other card issuers including prepaid card issuers allow cards to be turned off, blocked, etc. by the user usually through a mobile app. I would hazard to guess that this would be used primarily in the case of unauthorised debits.

Now Biggles can you think of a method of immediately informing users of debits so they can spot the unauthorised debits and turn off the card? Yup got it in one: Instant notification!
    • d123
    • By d123 5th Mar 18, 6:35 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    Ok everyone, chop up your debit cards and use credit cards ROFL
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Surely if you tried to use a credit card while rolling on the floor you'd struggle to input the pin correctly?
    ====
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 6th Mar 18, 12:30 PM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Surely if you tried to use a credit card while rolling on the floor you'd struggle to input the pin correctly?
    Originally posted by d123
    ROFL I didn't need to use a PIN. It's contactless. ROFL I think most people on this forum who have even the most basic knowledge of such things will have predicted this reply ROFL.
    • d123
    • By d123 6th Mar 18, 3:27 PM
    • 7,218 Posts
    • 4,658 Thanks
    d123
    ROFL I didn't need to use a PIN.
    Originally posted by Anthorn
    Well, it's a good thing you didn't need to use a PIN while rolling on the floor, you could have injured yourself or broken something...
    ====
    • emincosi
    • By emincosi 22nd Mar 18, 10:42 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    emincosi
    I downloaded it yesterday and verified my account (couldn't have been easier), will be using it to manage spending/budget.

I'll report back how I find it - probably won't switch bills etc over though as i am pretty happy with my high street bank!
    Save £12k in 2018 challenge: £0/20k
    Save 100k by March 31st 2021: £22133/100k
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 24th Mar 18, 9:45 AM
    • 3,668 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Extract from an email from Starling received today:
    Coming soon!

Business Current Accounts. Sign up on our website to be the first to hear when they launch.

Deposit cash, instantly. This Spring it will be easier and more convenient to deposit cash straight to your account at your local Post Office.
    Depositing cash at a Post Office is a good one for me.
    • Roseanne1
    • By Roseanne1 26th Mar 18, 12:38 AM
    • 131 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Roseanne1
    Impressed so far
    Admittedly, I haven't had the account long but only took minutes to set up. I use it for when I go to Ireland, which is a lot. I put money away every month in my "holidand my mother has one too so no doubt we will be making use of the Settle Up feature toy" account, which is the Starling account and always get notified promptly when money has gone in. I can then withdraw from ATMs (though haven't done that yet) instead of using the Barclaycard I got for that purpose before I heard of this as I prefer the likes of cash withdrawals to be a straightway thing rather than having to pay them back later on a credit card. I used it in McDonalds and immediately got the Sterling price, which is good and it also lets you see where your money has gone, for example, eating out, travel etc so great for budgeting. Overall a thumbsup for me. My mother has one too now so no doubt will be using the Settle Up feature soon.
    • steve65e
    • By steve65e 26th Mar 18, 1:59 PM
    • 153 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    steve65e
    Impressed so far. The account opened in around a minute. Photo verification failed for some reason, but CS answered and sorted it out in seconds.

I'll try it abroad next week, hoping to start using it instead of Revolut (which is great until things go wrong and you wait 30 hours in a CS queue).
    • Patk1000
    • By Patk1000 17th Jun 18, 11:22 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Patk1000
    Hi

New to this board but finding it very useful. Just tried to create an account with the Starling Bank - got my text almost immediately - uploaded photo and copy of passport as requested.

After a few minutes the system came back we are making a few checks you will hear from us shortly.

Anyone ever had this ? Is it normal ? If not what would be the cause and the likely result.

Was applying for this card for foreign travel reasons.

Thanks

Pat
    • Patk1000
    • By Patk1000 17th Jun 18, 11:45 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Patk1000
    No code arrived almost immediately
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 17th Jun 18, 2:17 PM
    • 3,509 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    eDicky
    After a few minutes the system came back we are making a few checks you will hear from us shortly.

Anyone ever had this ? Is it normal ?
    Originally posted by Patk1000
    It's normal, like any bank account application Starling may give immediate acceptance or there can be a delay while secondary checks are carried out. Please update us with any result.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 17th Jun 18, 2:49 PM
    • 14,136 Posts
    • 18,720 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Was applying for this card for foreign travel reason.
    I opened a Starling account for foreign travel use but have found myself using it more and more in the UK.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • h3lk3rn
    • By h3lk3rn 17th Jun 18, 5:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    h3lk3rn
    I opened my one three weeks ago and so far I am really impressed with it. I was a bit sceptic at the beginning but after a while I decided to stop using the TSB account and start using Starling instead. The whole process since I downloaded the app and made the first transfer took me about 10 minutes. Also I was impressed due to the fact that I could link it with GPay straight away and I did not have to wait until the card arrived physically into the mailbox.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 17th Jun 18, 6:12 PM
    • 31,899 Posts
    • 20,085 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Hi

New to this board but finding it very useful. Just tried to create an account with the Starling Bank - got my text almost immediately - uploaded photo and copy of passport as requested.

Anyone ever had this ? Is it normal ? If not what would be the cause and the likely result.

Was applying for this card for foreign travel reasons.

Thanks

Pat
    I believe I was accepted really quick, yes it's normal for there to be a wait, they need to check an account isn't being opened up fraudulently.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,255Posts Today

8,139Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Nearly at the Cheshire Show. Doing an @itvMLshow there today and tomorrow. Do say hi if you're there or ask a question.

• Good morning. I'm on the train to go to the Cheshire Show today to film for an @itvmlshow Roadshow. Looking forwa? https://t.co/T0uKOKyj4I

• Early days, but so far a huge majority - 19 in 20 people - support legalising cannabis for medical use. Whereas t? https://t.co/a3gJipQITc

• Follow Martin