Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ewicc
    • By ewicc 9th May 17, 11:05 AM
    • 24Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ewicc
    Anyone have experience of Solarplicity
    • 9th May 17, 11:05 AM
    Anyone have experience of Solarplicity 9th May 17 at 11:05 AM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert:

If you're looking for more recent feedback in 2018 take a look at our forumites' Solarplicity energy reviews.

Back to ewicc's original 2017 post...

---

Does anyone have experience of using Solarplicity energy, they come out as one of the cheapest for me on the comparison sites?
    I have never heard of them before, so not sure if i should go with them.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 23-01-2018 at 1:17 PM.
Page 1
    • James_dd
    • By James_dd 9th May 17, 7:34 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    James_dd
    • 9th May 17, 7:34 PM
    • 9th May 17, 7:34 PM
    I'm in the same boat (their tariff is fantastic for me, but showed up on the day I switched to Ebico Grr.) - Apparently they recently acquired LoCO2 Energy to join the energy supplier market so I suspect it's their staff and backend that's running things. There's plenty of discussion of them on this forum.
    Last edited by James_dd; 09-05-2017 at 8:00 PM.
    • ewicc
    • By ewicc 9th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ewicc
    • 9th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 9th May 17, 8:01 PM
    Thanks

Which is better to go with fixed rate or variable rate? What do most people on here opt for?
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 9th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 796 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    • 9th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 9th May 17, 8:14 PM
    Feedback thread for LoCO2 aka Solarplicity http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=58957809
    The price is the same for both currently but you do have to pay an early exit fee on the fixed if you want to leave before it ends.
    As to which to choose, it would depend if you think prices are going up then it's fixed else it's variable.
    And no, nobody on this forum or any other forum knows the correct answer. Financial geniuses in The City loses money trying to get this right every day of the year.
    • Jules9669
    • By Jules9669 11th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jules9669
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    • 11th Jun 17, 4:47 PM
    Switch seems to be a slow nightmare with both Solarplicity and old supplier still taking direct debit. Lack of communication
    • cing0
    • By cing0 1st Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    • 415 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    cing0
    • 1st Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    • 1st Jul 17, 3:27 PM
    When using a switching website, you get email confirmation from Solarplicity of your switch being accepted with customer number on the next day.
    After that, you get email confirmation the following day of direct debit setup.
    • Guna
    • By Guna 15th Jul 17, 9:17 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 115 Thanks
    Guna
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:17 AM
    • 15th Jul 17, 9:17 AM
    They are a bloody nightmare! Tried to switch to them for two months in a row as currently pay more for standing charge with my current supplier than for the actual consumption. Solarplicity has absolutely no record of my switch applications. Not sure I trust them to supply my energy with this level of organisation, might just stick with my current one at a price of extra £120 a year...
    Mortgage £8472.53
    Student Loan £44156.09
    • daveandmart
    • By daveandmart 2nd Jun 18, 10:01 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    daveandmart
    • 2nd Jun 18, 10:01 AM
    solarplicity
    • 2nd Jun 18, 10:01 AM
    keep getting pestered about getting smart meter installed.....
    (heard horror stories on watchdog regarding explosions etc)
    agreed then had second thoughts so phoned to cancel
    45 min wait on the phone got it cancelled
    one week later they called about getting a smart meter installed...!!!
    refused,
    another 2 weeks later same call..told a new meter had to be installed ( legal requirement)...so accepted....checked this fact...phoned to cancel
    another 45 min wait..told there was no appointment booked for a meter exchange....but the engineer phoned to say he was on his way!!!
    now waiting on phone (30 mins so far) to sort this out....as they threaten cancellation fees if appointment missed
    only went with solarplicity cos recommended via money saving expert
    am SICK of them
    • chico
    • By chico 2nd Jun 18, 12:13 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    chico
    • 2nd Jun 18, 12:13 PM
    • 2nd Jun 18, 12:13 PM
    ..told a new meter had to be installed ( legal requirement)...
    Originally posted by daveandmart
    Register a complaint regarding

(i) their incorrect statement that a smart meter is a legal requirement when it is actually NOT compulsory, and

(ii) about their continuing harassment and wasting your time.

Then if necessary make a complaint to Ofgem.

Ofgem state: "smart meters ... arenít compulsory and you can choose not to have one."
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 2nd Jun 18, 12:44 PM
    • 6,380 Posts
    • 4,095 Thanks
    Hengus
    Register a complaint regarding

(i) their incorrect statement that a smart meter is a legal requirement when it is actually NOT compulsory, and

(ii) about their continuing harassment and wasting your time.

Then if necessary make a complaint to Ofgem.

Ofgem state: "smart meters ... arenít compulsory and you can choose not to have one."
    Originally posted by chico

Good advice, but saying Ďnoí no longer means no. Suppliers are permitted (indeed encouraged) by Ofgem to look at new ways of promoting smart meter adoption. It follows that we can all expect frequent contact from our suppliers as each new marketing strategy is launched. The Government has also decided that smart meter letters etc are communications from your supplier, and not marketing. GDPR opt out therefore does not apply.
    • Jakubk
    • By Jakubk 3rd Jun 18, 4:39 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Jakubk
    (heard horror stories on watchdog regarding explosions etc)
    agreed then had second thoughts so phoned to cancel
    45 min wait on the phone got it cancelled
    one week later they called about getting a smart meter installed...!!!
    refused,
    another 2 weeks later same call..told a new meter had to be installed ( legal requirement)...so accepted....checked this fact...phoned to cancel
    another 45 min wait..told there was no appointment booked for a meter exchange....but the engineer phoned to say he was on his way!!!
    now waiting on phone (30 mins so far) to sort this out....as they threaten cancellation fees if appointment missed
    only went with solarplicity cos recommended via money saving expert
    am SICK of them
    Originally posted by daveandmart

I thought what this company was doing was great but I have had all the problems of others and I would strongly urge that you stay well away from this lot.

I am considering asking for them not to be allowed to take on new customers as they cannot handle what they have.

I got letter from CEO but his promise of named Customer Champion responding withing 72 hours was not honoured, Message of 22nd May and follow up message had no reply.

Now I read on here (the first I have heard of it) that they are increasing tariff massively if you have No Standing Charge, if that happens I will complain to all organisations that regulate them and MP etc.

They have not given me any formal notification of an increase, hell they do not even seem to be able to manage a proper bill with a payment slip. Despite giving them readings they have given me a statement (not a bill) for one energy (not other) for an estimated amount. This was dated AFTER I gave the reading! The layout of "statement" is awful.

To me a bill is different from a statement, the latter is only a summary of what owed rather than an invoice. It does include some usage but in tiny font with 6 yes 6 decimal places. So the unit price for Gas is listed as 0.034800. The layout is such that they do not list things together to make maths easy to verify, plus they have huge gap at bottom of one page where the bank payment slip should be.

I look at the problems people have had on here and on Trustpilot, it seems that I have had all, but still I would have stayed with them if they honoured their promise of no standing charge with competitive rate and I could pay a post office or bank with cash.

The CEO blamed their IT and Smart Meter programme, no doubt they have got stuck with a load of SMET1 meters, they are NOT going to force these on me.

With regard to smart meter, I was worried that I saw this partnership for 100,000 prepay smart meters, the last thing I want is prepay meter

metering.com/regional-news/europe-uk/solarplicity-trilliant-prepaid-meters-uk

Also just saw their 24 page terms doc online saying

"14. Smart Meters
    We will write to You before the installation of a Smart Meter, which you may opt-out of receiving
    at any time prior to the installation of the Smart!Meter.

So not only can you refuse by OFGEM rules but their own terms and conditions

It is a shame, I thought Solarplicity has such good ideas of no standing charge and no punishment in energy rate or for not paying by DD. I told so many people about them, it seems that I will be telling everybody to avoid them now.
    • smudger1964
    • By smudger1964 3rd Jun 18, 5:47 PM
    • 637 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    smudger1964
    Dont bother its more trouble than its worth they hardly ever answer the phone within 30 minutes and take days if not weeks to reply to emails.The billing system is useless.They keep apologising but never actually get any better.I switched to them in February then away from them in April havent received any bill so maybe will be getting free gas/electricity
    • norricorp
    • By norricorp 6th Jun 18, 6:49 AM
    • 15 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    norricorp
    I moved gas and electricity in January. Gas moved from Centrica very easily but they still have not moved electricity from SSE. 40 minute waits for the phone to be answered. Emails rarely answered. The named support person refuses to take any form of responsibility. Different story every time. Currently the meter operator is not giving them meter details so they can't contact SSE.
    Always nice on the phone but just useless. Everyone does the minimum ie get the customer off the phone.
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 6th Jun 18, 10:39 AM
    • 2,448 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    Dont bother its more trouble than its worth they hardly ever answer the phone within 30 minutes and take days if not weeks to reply to emails.The billing system is useless.They keep apologising but never actually get any better.I switched to them in February then away from them in April havent received any bill so maybe will be getting free gas/electricity
    Originally posted by smudger1964
    Yes I would agree with the above comments.
    I have been with them nearly a year now & can't wait to move away.
    I only went with them because of their no standing charge tariff.
    They NEVER answer emails, their customer services are an absolute joke, their bills are badly laid out etc etc.
    Their attempt to fit a smart meter has broken down into a fiasco.
    I don't think these small utility companies have the staff or the backroom support to operate properly.
    Back to one of the Big Six for me.....
    • BIC
    • By BIC 5th Jul 18, 10:04 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BIC
    Lucky you. I had to go to the back to find out that they took the money from my account
    • BIC
    • By BIC 5th Jul 18, 10:06 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BIC
    The are absolutely hopeless. What a nightmare
    • Bumblies
    • By Bumblies 21st Jul 18, 3:59 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Bumblies
    Low prices, even lower customer care
    Easy to sign up to Solarplicity and switch over went smoothly but since joining on 2 March 2018 absolutely nothing. They take the monthly direct debit (in advance) but to date, 21 July, they haven't produced an invoice and don't respond to emails (I refuse to pay phone charges for waiting for them to answer). I'm getting more and more in credit (I keep a speadsheet with monthly useage so know what the invoices should be) and am already concerned about getting my money back when I leave. Sometimes it's worth paying a bit more for peace of mind. I was previously with Bristol Energy and their service was first class. Wish I'd stayed with them. Only sign up to Solarplicity if you're desperate for a low tariff.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,905Posts Today

9,765Users online

Martin's Twitter