Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Be Happy
    • By Be Happy 8th May 17, 6:29 PM
    • 1,165Posts
    • 506Thanks
    Be Happy
    BEWARE - washing machine insurance cold calls
    • 8th May 17, 6:29 PM
    BEWARE - washing machine insurance cold calls 8th May 17 at 6:29 PM
    Just a heads up to this very convincing cold call - not exactly a scam as company does exist, but is just a cold call.

Had call last week - 'courtesy call' to check that my Hotpoint washing machine was working well. Don't have a hotpoint, so said yes it was and hung up. Today call from well spoken English man to say that the warranty on my Hotpoint washing machine was due for renewal, did I want to extend it?

When I googled the number 02036975575 found this was mentioned on all the nuisance call sites. It seems to be a company cold calling to sell washing machine insurance. Also seems to follow the same pattern of a previous 'survey type' call, followed a week later by the sales call.

It was a very convincing call - well spoken - had name and full address. Bear in mind too, that you will be asked to give card details over the phone.
Page 1
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 9th May 17, 7:42 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 9th May 17, 7:42 AM
    Cold Calls or Scammer?
    • 9th May 17, 7:42 AM
    Frankly, IMHO, all cold calls are scams, as we are registered with the TPS so they break the law when calling.
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 9th May 17, 8:24 AM
    • 5,670 Posts
    • 5,558 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 9th May 17, 8:24 AM
    • 9th May 17, 8:24 AM
    Frankly, IMHO, all cold calls are scams, as we are registered with the TPS so they break the law when calling.
    Originally posted by SpammyTheSpammer
    Only if the call comes from the UK. That's why a lot of companies "offshore" their front line call handlers, to get around TPS issues.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • tacpot12
    • By tacpot12 9th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 1,639 Posts
    • 1,396 Thanks
    tacpot12
    • 9th May 17, 8:45 AM
    • 9th May 17, 8:45 AM
    Self insurance is always the cheapest approach to appliance breakdown insurance.
    • CharlieBilly
    • By CharlieBilly 9th May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    CharlieBilly
    • 9th May 17, 10:00 AM
    • 9th May 17, 10:00 AM
    I know laws been tightened up but these companies dont seem to care and think they can get away with it which they usually can. I been getting many cold calls from Everest DG lately but they never get through as I block the numbers with my BT8610 phone. Even if a number does get through if i dont recognize it I just dont answer phone or block the number later when i google the number, same goes for my mobile.

I have complained numerous times on cold callers with Information Commisoner
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 9th May 17, 6:05 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 9th May 17, 6:05 PM
    Even more of a reason
    • 9th May 17, 6:05 PM
    Only if the call comes from the UK. That's why a lot of companies "offshore" their front line call handlers, to get around TPS issues.
    Originally posted by DoaM
    The cold calling company is trying to evade the law.
    NEVER accept any offer from a ciold-calling company...
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • josie
    • By josie 14th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    • 3,046 Posts
    • 17,869 Thanks
    josie
    • 14th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    • 14th Jun 18, 10:17 AM
    Seems they're still at it as I just had a call this morning. I'm certain we don't have cover on our washing machine, but he said our policy was due to expire - yeah righto!

Number was 0203 959 9378

Again, a well spoken gentleman whose first language was English.
    • grunnie
    • By grunnie 14th Jun 18, 10:39 AM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 9,925 Thanks
    grunnie
    • 14th Jun 18, 10:39 AM
    • 14th Jun 18, 10:39 AM
    I get these all the time and I just say my washing machine is 15 years old and they hang up.
    • NeverInDebt
    • By NeverInDebt 14th Jun 18, 1:31 PM
    • 2,586 Posts
    • 3,061 Thanks
    NeverInDebt
    • 14th Jun 18, 1:31 PM
    • 14th Jun 18, 1:31 PM
    If people didn't entertain cold callers it would soon stop. The fact is some people do so its always worth there while. I personnel dont and any company that cold calls or send unsolicited mail regularly I make sure I never use them and have done that on several occasions
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 14th Jun 18, 2:50 PM
    • 3,330 Posts
    • 3,488 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I simply do not answer telephone calls that are either withheld or do not appear with a name from my contact list. If it's important and genuine they will leave a message so I can phone back.

While people cannot resist answering a ringing telephone then these calls will persist.

Once you answer they know they have a 'live' number and it'll just get added to the list to be sold on for the next scammer to try.
    • QuackQuackOops
    • By QuackQuackOops 24th Sep 18, 12:24 PM
    • 1,692 Posts
    • 3,106 Thanks
    QuackQuackOops
    These people just called me.
    What is interesting to me is where they got my telephone number from. Thought we had data protection laws these days?
    • lollipopsarah
    • By lollipopsarah 24th Sep 18, 1:17 PM
    • 1,292 Posts
    • 1,658 Thanks
    lollipopsarah
    Same here got a posh man a few days ago but he hung up when I said NO!
    I've been with the TPS for about 10 years but still the calls come,and not a home owner for 8 years but still get calls which show how old the lists must be.
    xx
    • zx81
    • By zx81 24th Sep 18, 1:22 PM
    • 19,615 Posts
    • 20,986 Thanks
    zx81
    These people just called me.
    What is interesting to me is where they got my telephone number from. Thought we had data protection laws these days?
    Originally posted by QuackQuackOops
    We've had them for years. But the sorts of companies who are happy to cold call don't worry about regulations.
    • knightstyle
    • By knightstyle 24th Sep 18, 7:29 PM
    • 4,895 Posts
    • 1,846 Thanks
    knightstyle
    Our neighbour asks them to speak to his son as he does not have English as his first language, then he gives the phone to said son who is six years old and he loves to talk!
    • Superdan48
    • By Superdan48 5th Oct 18, 2:50 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Superdan48
    Washing Machine Scam
    I just had the call from these Scammers - he said he was from SPG ( Service Provider Group) and that my warranty was about to expire - he said it was in my daughters name ( which he knew) so I might not be aware of it. I know this wasn't true and I asked him for my account details at which time he terminated the call and put the phone down.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 6th Oct 18, 1:05 PM
    • 12,739 Posts
    • 17,364 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    We've had them for years. But the sorts of companies who are happy to cold call don't worry about regulations.
    Originally posted by zx81
    Or authorities who don't worry about enforcement because it means less time in the pub
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
    I had to put mothballs in my wallet - the moths had learned the PINs to my cards...
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 11th Oct 18, 5:33 PM
    • 18,597 Posts
    • 38,955 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Just had one of these. The person goes through the script so quickly and starts of in a way that makes you think it is something you already have.

TPS seem to be hopeless these days.

Number i got on 1471 was 01618541293 look up gave me Repair and Assure as the company.
    Last edited by Mrs Arcanum; 11-10-2018 at 5:36 PM.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 13th Oct 18, 7:37 AM
    • 18,597 Posts
    • 38,955 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Had another one yesterday from 0203 476 7414.
    I am beginning to suspect these calls are as a result of GDPR, simply because it has made opting out of marketing so complicated. Rather than just a simple NO, you either accept or have to go through a whole string of boxes to make sure you do not get bothered.

Started reporting direct to ico rather than through TPS.
    Last edited by Mrs Arcanum; 13-10-2018 at 7:52 AM.
    “We put all our politicians in prison as soon as they’re elected. Don't you?" "Why?” “It saves time.” - Terry Pratchett, The Last Continent.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 13th Oct 18, 8:40 AM
    • 16,567 Posts
    • 12,711 Thanks
    hollydays
    I was at a friends the other day when his phone rang. He started to have an argument with a recording. Even after the call ended he had no idea.
    • carlislelass
    • By carlislelass 13th Oct 18, 11:30 AM
    • 1,743 Posts
    • 4,371 Thanks
    carlislelass
    Had one this week, we're ex-directory and with TPS
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,880Posts Today

8,554Users online

Martin's Twitter