Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 3,168Posts
    • 32,617Thanks
    XSpender
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt
    • 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt 4th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    How do I start what feels like yet another diary?

After being on the MFW board I have come back to the DFW board to shift the debt we have run up in the last 12 months.

A quick back story….DH and I are classic impulsive over spenders who went pop back in late 2008 and managed to climb out of the pit of debt we were in by me losing my job and a big redundancy pay out in early 2010. We avoided debt until 12 months ago when we found our dream house about 4 months before we had planned to start looking which we could afford but were short on the deposit. If we had only ended up borrowing the bit we needed to top up the deposit we would be have been debt free by now.

We have run up debt on buying the house, having some work done in the house and some furniture and soft furnishings and impulsive spending on holidays, meals out and the odd high ticket item. We thought we were past making these kinds of stupid decisions and are both worried and angry with ourselves at the level of debt we are in once again.

The one thing we are agreed on is that we will live on fresh air to keep this house and we need to sort our finances out to give us the security that this could never happen. One day I will get to be a MFW again!

To make matters worse 6 months after we moved DH has had some issues at work and has taken a job (same company) at a different location which has resulted in a reduction in the bonus he is paid monthly effectively reducing his monthly take home pay and his travel costs have gone up significantly. It hasn’t done much to reduce his stress levels either!

Worrying about money and our financial security has started to get to me and I don’t want to feel like that again, I thought I had left that behind in 2010. It makes me worry about losing my job and I then start to doubt my ability to do my job. I also worry it will impact on our ability to re-mortgage at a good rate in 12 months’ time.

I manage the finances but DH has (finally) got on board and has been writing his own plan about how we can stop spending and stop buying so we can owe nowt. Our good friends are also pulling in the purse strings as they have a family holiday to pay for so we have agreed to entertain each other at home rather than go out for meals with the kids which we did at least twice a month.

Current Debts

Bank of Mum and Dad - £4336.66 (17 payments left)
    Bank Loan - £12,114.51 (49 payments left)
    Bank CC - £9019.51 (1% payment to come off for May) – all at 0%
    DH CC - £5500 approx. – all at 0% until August
    My CC – £5782.31 – mostly 0% but some spending at standard rate
    BNPL – £400 – due 21st December 2017
    Owed to DS – £1296.79 – 0%
    Balance of trip to New York - £1098 due October 2017

TOTAL £39,547.78

Our plan is to drastically cut our spending and cancel the trip to New York for a start. There is not much we can do about our bills until June/July when they will all be up for renewal and I will hit the comparison sites. It is our spending on food and booze and stuff that needs to be reigned in hence the title of this diary.

If we can stop adding to the debt by paying the minimum payments each month as well as clearing the BNPL we will knock £6000 off the balance by the end of this year. My goal is to be under £30,000 owed by the end of the year and then have cleared all CCs by June 2018 which is a massive challenge. We both get performance related bonuses, DH quarterly and me twice a year but none of these are guaranteed.

Wish us luck and control over our spending urges.
    £15,568.83 all at 0% at 16/11/18

CC 1 £1980 CC2 £12,465.53 Carpets £1055.39 (22 months left) - £15,500.92 Total at 04/12/18

Small EF 100% Big EF 0% Holiday 0% Garden 0% Carpets SIF Fund £100.47 (2+)
Page 36
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 1st Oct 18, 9:36 AM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 32,617 Thanks
    XSpender
    Our washing machine thought it would be a good idea to catch fire on Saturday morning Not a huge fire but the end of the machine. We tried hard to find a decent second hand one in our area but missed out on a couple. On Sunday we went to a local clearance shop that sells Argos end of lines. The washer that we were looking at new was there but no cheaper but we did find a much better model, £90 cheaper than the other one and £400 cheaper than on line. It even has an internal light and is unbelievably quiet, I keep forgetting it is on. Unfortunately this has had to go on the CC as we had no other way of paying for it. Roll on having the funds to build an emergency fund.

There is still no decision about my project so I am going to go for the CV rewrite and start looking about. I will spend some time at the beginning of the week improving it and then give the company a call. This is going to have to go on the CC as well but I do not want to leave it a couple of months before I start to look. I hope it doesn't impact the mortgage offer but the balances will still be lower than when we made our application as we have made payments since then which has reduced the overall balance and this spending will be paid off when it goes through.

I have started to track the supermarket spends into different categories to see what we are wasting money on. DH has decided to cut out the booze until our holiday which will help his stress levels and our budget. I've also rejoined the grocery challenge.

CC 1 £1980 CC2 £12,465.53 Carpets £1055.39 (22 months left) - £15,500.92 Total at 04/12/18

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 1st Oct 18, 5:18 PM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 61,441 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Yikes to the wm catching fire! But yay to getting one with an internal light! Gally would be impressed.

Good luck with the CV stuff.
    NST December in the TARDIS #1; NSD 6/15; Shlder Ex 6/21 ; craft 2(261); remove (669)
    2018 Pay off: £4641; 2
    018 sell £98.10; WLOSW 3/10

Mortgage £18,634 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 1st Oct 18, 6:06 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 32,617 Thanks
    XSpender
    Yikes to the wm catching fire! But yay to getting one with an internal light! Gally would be impressed.

Good luck with the CV stuff.
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    We didn't realise until we switched it on that it had the light and I did think of Gally when it came on

• lindez
    • By lindez 1st Oct 18, 7:55 PM
    • 402 Posts
    • 1,619 Thanks
    lindez
    Well done on the mortgage hopefully it will be all done and dusted by the end of October. The washing machine with the light sounds great.
    Payment A Day Chapter 18:
    MFWB#44
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 2nd Oct 18, 5:32 AM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 18,217 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    to the flaming washing machine, how alarming! I am aware ours is probably on the count down to its final days (it's only four years or so old, but it was a fairly cheapie one), and feeling likewise - can't wait until the day we have a sensible emergency fund for such things! I can see why people slow up on the debt busting to build a decent emergency fund, but I can't quite bring myself to do so at this stage.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 1st Sept 2018: £12,221.27 unsecured debt/£19,940 parental loan/£191,003.72 mortgage = £223,165
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 3rd Oct 18, 9:54 AM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 32,617 Thanks
    XSpender
    to the flaming washing machine, how alarming! I am aware ours is probably on the count down to its final days (it's only four years or so old, but it was a fairly cheapie one), and feeling likewise - can't wait until the day we have a sensible emergency fund for such things! I can see why people slow up on the debt busting to build a decent emergency fund, but I can't quite bring myself to do so at this stage.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    We never seem to have enough money left after minimum payments to build up even a small emergency fund and it would have been a drop in the ocean after DH job loss.

We had a h0tp01nt which had lasted at least 6 years but have gone for a b0sch this time as there wasn't much difference in price with the end of model one we bought and we are hoping it lasts us until we have paid off most of the mortgage.

Mortgage Deed has arrived for signature so DH will take to work to be witnessed and I will ask my friend who lives locally so we can get it in the post by Friday.

We have only spent £10 on fuel this week. I have given DH a larger lunch and this has stopped him buying extra at work. I will need to pop to Ald1 for milk and a couple of RMs for DH today and am hoping to pick up a couple of base layers for our walk if there are any left.

We have decided to cut down on the amount of meat we eat so that we can buy organic. I bought chicken breasts on Friday and the difference in quality and taste was really noticeable. I bought them from Asda as the veg box company charges an extra £10/kg We have had two veggie evening meals this week so far

I still haven't done anything about my CV. I had a call from an agency and while the job was about 3 miles away the salary was a lot lower and I am looking for more. Talking of jobs, DH is being head hunted back to the company he left 12 months and 2 jobs ago! This is the job that is his holy grail and should have been his 2 years ago if the manager hadn't given it to his inexperienced mate who ended up ruining the department and losing the company thousands.

• enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 3rd Oct 18, 11:36 AM
    • 7,389 Posts
    • 16,307 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    We never seem to have enough money left after minimum payments to build up even a small emergency fund and it would have been a drop in the ocean after DH job loss.

We had a h0tp01nt which had lasted at least 6 years but have gone for a b0sch this time as there wasn't much difference in price with the end of model one we bought and we are hoping it lasts us until we have paid off most of the mortgage.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    An emergency fund is critical when you are in high debt as you have found out. The debt spiral that you are in though is obviously making that difficult to sort out. High debt equals high minimums equals low disposable income so any emergency ends up on the cards which in turn increases the minimum payments and debt totals and it just escalates.

I am not a fan of debt consolidation especially on to a mortgage but I know you have gone for it so I would urge that any reduction in debt payments goes into emergency savings rather than more disposable income. There is every indication that interest rates will rise gradually over the next few years and given your DH seems to be in insecure employment having a buffer is crucial.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • badmemory
    • By badmemory 3rd Oct 18, 12:37 PM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 3,385 Thanks
    badmemory

DH is being head hunted back to the company he left 12 months and 2 jobs ago! This is the job that is his holy grail and should have been his 2 years ago if the manager hadn't given it to his inexperienced mate who ended up ruining the department and losing the company thousands.
    Originally posted by XSpender

If the manager is still there then he needs to think about it VERY seriously. A manager who makes such a bad (& unprofessional) decision cannot always be trusted to make good ones in the future.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 3rd Oct 18, 2:05 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 32,617 Thanks
    XSpender
    If the manager is still there then he needs to think about it VERY seriously. A manager who makes such a bad (& unprofessional) decision cannot always be trusted to make good ones in the future.
    Originally posted by badmemory
    Luckily he got the boot too badmemory.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Oct 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 32,617 Thanks
    XSpender
    I've been a bit rubbish updating my diary this past week.

Documents have been witnessed and sent to solicitor for re-mortgage but no progress to report as yet.

DH has been contacted again about the job at his old place but I believe he will need some persuading to return as it has deteriorated so badly and he is not sure the right level of support will be available to put it right.

The good news is I had a chat with the client today and it looks like my job is safe although there will be changes which will make it different but not in a bad way. I didn't have my CV rewritten as yet as we have had some other spending this month and I didn't want to add another spend to the CC.

It is our epic challenge this weekend and the weather forecast is horrific

I still haven't found any flip flops/sandles for DS but DH and I got our warm tops for our holidays. DH has very wide feet so I am reluctant to order some, he tried on sliders in the shop and they were too narrow but way too big size wise.

I decided to do a big food shop to last us until the end of October (except a bit of milk, fresh fruit and a couple of small bits for our challenge) which has worked well so far. When I buy only exactly what we need it doesn't leave any flexibility for a change in plans or being too knackered to cook so having more in (even if it is a bit beige, I can add veg) has helped. Plus I have made DH a bigger lunch for the last week or so and he hasn't bought any extra food at work since.

• Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Oct 18, 5:30 AM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 18,217 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Great news about your job, and a lovely confidence boost for your DH to be so in demand, even if the job is too awful to go back to.

We have taken to always having some dried pasta/tinned tomatoes/garlic and onion type stuff kicking around, which means we can always make an easy pasta meal (sometimes we go through phsases where it's stir fry stuff) but it's cheap and can hang around and always gets used every couple of weeks or so when the menu plan goes horribly wrong (ie I'm too lazy to cook properly).
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 1st Sept 2018: £12,221.27 unsecured debt/£19,940 parental loan/£191,003.72 mortgage = £223,165
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 11th Oct 18, 12:10 PM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 32,617 Thanks
    XSpender
    Our obsolete and uninsured thermostat has finally given up the ghost and we have been freezing almost every evening for the last couple of weeks. Thank goodness it has been milder these last few days. It has a mind of its own and will occasionally come on for however long it likes (not very long usually) and then goes off. I cant even override the timer and put it on constant. It is going to cost £179 for one of those Hive things with free wiring and installation which is a lot less than the £650 they quoted us when we first moved in. I think we get it cheaper as it is broken rather than an upgrade. We get a free mini alexa what-not too which DS is excited about.

What with the thermostat and the washer I am waiting for the third thing to go wrong. Maybe it's the torrential rain and weather warning for our 12 hour outdoor challenge at the weekend I hope it's not the cut and colour I am having this evening!!! It's my first salon colour in years.

Food spending is going well after my mega shop last week. I did buy too much in hindsight and there will be enough for the first week of November's main meals at least. I do need some bits for our pack lunch this weekend, some GF garlic bread for a shared meal and I have just used the last of the GF oats to make energy bars so will need some more for porridge and some fruit for next week's lunches.

I have finished paying for my phone so my bill has dropped £15. After our holiday I will look for a sim only deal as I am still paying £23 which is very high and I have a work phone too so don't need a fancy new phone or a super dooper contract.

It looks like DPIL wont be coming to us for Christmas Day tea for the first time in about 8 years this year. I did try and put my foot down last year but it didn't work. I sound very mean but she is so ungrateful and can be quite rude. My DM and DSD and coming and will stay so I think that has put her off. She suffers badly from social anxiety but hardly ever eats in. We declined to go to a pub/hotel with them for Christmas. We've done it twice, once with them and once on our own both before DS arrived, and hated it both times and it's no fun for an over excited 8 year old.

Mum hasn't confirmed that she is definitely coming yet as My DSDad sister passed away last week which has upset them both terribly and they have other things to worry about. It's our turn to have my brother and sister and whatever grown up kids are about/want to come. At least this year we have 4 double beds so people can stay instead of driving 2 hours if they want.

I am working from home today but haven't got much done TBH. I am getting my hair done this evening and then tomorrow evening we leave early afternoon to drive for our walk so have been trying to sort out my kit and have cooked tonight's tea to warm up when I get back and a ginger cake and energy bars for our walk.

I'm struggling to sleep this week. I am worried that the mortgage company will withdraw their offer because we have had to use the CC to cover emergencies and some spends in what has been the tightest month we have had in a very long time when both working. I'm worried about how we will manage if it is. I'm worried about Saturday's walk in the horrendous weather conditions. DH still needs waterproof trousers and I don't know when we are going to get them. I'm worried about how the heck I am going to get everything done next week so we are ready to go on holiday by Saturday lunchtime when I am at work all week and way 2 days. I am stressed that DS still needs flip/flops/sandals and I can't find any and he has wide feet so I cant just order them and he needs a fancy dress costume for Halloween I haven't had time to order. I am stressed out that the house is always an untidy mess and scruffy and that it's all left to me.

A cup of tea, a slice of freshly baked ginger cake and a kick up the ars3 is required!

• Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Oct 18, 5:38 AM
    • 1,767 Posts
    • 18,217 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Poor you Xspender, it's so awful when you've got dozens of things whirling in your head. Hope you got some sleep last night and it looks a little brighter today (in your head, if not the weather! Atrocious down in the SW this morning). Make a list and divide between what absolutely needs dealing with today and what can be postponed to next week, and postpone what you can.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Oct 18, 6:11 AM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 5,924 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    If your outdoor challenge is an organised event will it still be held in such awful weather conditions? Can you write a list of what needs doing to prepare for your holiday and show it to your DS and DH? When we visit DD1, my 8 year old is quite happy to count out t- shirts, socks etc and put them in a hold-all. Simple tasks that might make things a bit easier for you.

The ginger cake sounds delicious...will add to my list for baking this weekend. Thank you!
    paydbx #93 £929.08/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 12th Oct 18, 7:27 AM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 61,441 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I've just ported my phone number to p1usn3t and have a £5 monthly payment for unlimited texts and calls. Not sure if the offer is still running, but I think it comes and goes.
    NST December in the TARDIS #1; NSD 6/15; Shlder Ex 6/21 ; craft 2(261); remove (669)

Mortgage £18,634 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 12th Oct 18, 8:28 AM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 32,617 Thanks
    XSpender
    Poor you Xspender, it's so awful when you've got dozens of things whirling in your head. Hope you got some sleep last night and it looks a little brighter today (in your head, if not the weather! Atrocious down in the SW this morning). Make a list and divide between what absolutely needs dealing with today and what can be postponed to next week, and postpone what you can.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    A list will definitely help. I did get a fair bit done yesterday bearing in mind I left the hairdressers at 7pm and didn't sit down until 10pm. I did sleep though. My living room looks like a branch of G0 Outd00rs with piles of walking gear everywhere (any my stash of Kendal mint cake)

If your outdoor challenge is an organised event will it still be held in such awful weather conditions? Can you write a list of what needs doing to prepare for your holiday and show it to your DS and DH? When we visit DD1, my 8 year old is quite happy to count out t- shirts, socks etc and put them in a hold-all. Simple tasks that might make things a bit easier for you.

The ginger cake sounds delicious...will add to my list for baking this weekend. Thank you!
    Originally posted by Honeysucklelou2
    They will only cancel in very high wind so it will be a very soggy walk.

Great idea of getting DS to put his own clothes together. We have sorted out everything that fits so it is just a matter of lifting it in to the case and adding a few other bits. Another list will be prepared

I've just ported my phone number to p1usn3t and have a £5 monthly payment for unlimited texts and calls. Not sure if the offer is still running, but I think it comes and goes.
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    I had a look at that one and the £7 one which has more data. Hopefully it will still be available when I come back off my hols.

I think my 3rd bad thing has arrived! I was trying to be efficient and pay the LLoyds CC early so that I could balance YNAB following the recent spending only to receive a text saying thanks but we will still take the DD. Previously they have taken this as the payment as it is after the statement date so I now have to find another £93 I also took some school swimming trunks back to M&S but managed to leave the receipt on the mantlepiece so have a credit note rather than a refund.

The engineer couldn't set up the h1v3 account yesterday so I haven't paid for it yet! We have heating and hot water but not the app. She is coming back today to set it up on DH email.

I managed to find some flip flops for DS in n3xt which fit. I bought 2 pairs in different sizes and a pair of sandals to ensure I got something so I have 2 pairs to go back.

All the food for this weekend and milk and fruit for next week has been bought. I need to update YNAB but have gone a little over the food budget but there should not be any more spending unless DH wants some beer when he breaks up from work next Friday. If I come in under £400 I will be chuffed to bits. I'm at about £370 now.

• Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 13th Oct 18, 10:35 AM
    • 1,238 Posts
    • 5,924 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Wishing you all the best for your outdoor challenge XSpender.
    paydbx #93 £929.08/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £2994 in Aug 18
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Oct 18, 11:10 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 15,569 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Hope all goes well on your walk .
    CC1 £3500 Nov 2018.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 13th Oct 18, 11:13 AM
    • 8,051 Posts
    • 61,441 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Hope your waterproofs live up to their name.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 16th Oct 18, 9:44 AM
    • 3,168 Posts
    • 32,617 Thanks
    XSpender
    I certainly needed my waterproofs as Storm Calum gave us a right old bashing. Biblical rain and 60 mph winds, the worse October weather seen in the area for over 20 years It meant we did almost the whole distance but not every summit for safety reasons. We had a great weekend (no TV, no phone signal = bliss) and are organising a 2nd attempt for next summer.

I've checked the Ll0yds CC and it doesn't look like they are taking a second payment so that has left a bit more in the account. I've also cashed in my pots and piggies and have £129.50 to pay in most of which I had been saving for my holiday and the rest will go to paying off one of the small debts which will remain after the re-mortgage.

No news on the re-mortgage. I may give the solicitors a ring just to advise we are on holiday next week in case they need us for anything but really to get a better idea of when it will complete.

I still haven't paid for the thermostat as they can't set my account up at their end. It works but I haven't got access to the app.

The good news is that DH has been awarded a quarterly bonus on top of his guaranteed bonus so will be paid 3 times the bonus we were expecting at the end of the month This will clear the emergency spending this month, give us a £1000 emergency fund and pay for Christmas which is the point I was hoping to be at when the re-mortgage went through before all the emergencies happened.

Food budget is at £375 and I am hoping to limp through to the 1st of November on £20 for milk, fruit and lunch stuff when we get back. Under £400 will be a good reduction for us but the challenge will be keeping it under £400 when we are at home another week. I really must focus on this as overspending on food will throw out our whole budget going forward.

DS has been chosen to represent his school at a sporting event this week (thanks school for the 3 days notice!) and the only way we can get him there is if I pay for FIL to take him in a taxi there and back. It's not far but is a bit of a faff on for FIL. With more notice I could have rearranged my appointments and taken him myself.

I have made a list of everything I need to do before Saturday!

1) Work to do list
    2) Buy euros
    3) Print off tickets
    4) Buy travel insurance
    5) Buy suntan lotion
    6) Take DS sandals back
    7) Buy waterproof trousers for DS school trip
    8) Order fancy dress costume for DS for Halloween - done
    9) Drop off cash for taxis to FIL
    10) Pay change in
    11) Buy shed roof felt for FIL to fit when we are away
    12) Clear laundry mountain
    12) Wash our duvet
    13) Change our sheets
    14) Use up fresh stuff and clear out fridge
    15) Suitcases out of loft
    16) Sort our clothes, find various items, iron and pack
    17) Buy sandwiches to eat on plane as arrive late (no GF ones at airport)
    18) Book taxi to airport
    19) Check I have enough reading material for holiday and download if not (personal spends)

I'm sure there will be some more to add!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,623Posts Today

6,578Users online

Martin's Twitter