Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 3,134Posts
    • 32,195Thanks
    XSpender
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt
    • 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt 4th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    How do I start what feels like yet another diary?

After being on the MFW board I have come back to the DFW board to shift the debt we have run up in the last 12 months.

A quick back story….DH and I are classic impulsive over spenders who went pop back in late 2008 and managed to climb out of the pit of debt we were in by me losing my job and a big redundancy pay out in early 2010. We avoided debt until 12 months ago when we found our dream house about 4 months before we had planned to start looking which we could afford but were short on the deposit. If we had only ended up borrowing the bit we needed to top up the deposit we would be have been debt free by now.

We have run up debt on buying the house, having some work done in the house and some furniture and soft furnishings and impulsive spending on holidays, meals out and the odd high ticket item. We thought we were past making these kinds of stupid decisions and are both worried and angry with ourselves at the level of debt we are in once again.

The one thing we are agreed on is that we will live on fresh air to keep this house and we need to sort our finances out to give us the security that this could never happen. One day I will get to be a MFW again!

To make matters worse 6 months after we moved DH has had some issues at work and has taken a job (same company) at a different location which has resulted in a reduction in the bonus he is paid monthly effectively reducing his monthly take home pay and his travel costs have gone up significantly. It hasn’t done much to reduce his stress levels either!

Worrying about money and our financial security has started to get to me and I don’t want to feel like that again, I thought I had left that behind in 2010. It makes me worry about losing my job and I then start to doubt my ability to do my job. I also worry it will impact on our ability to re-mortgage at a good rate in 12 months’ time.

I manage the finances but DH has (finally) got on board and has been writing his own plan about how we can stop spending and stop buying so we can owe nowt. Our good friends are also pulling in the purse strings as they have a family holiday to pay for so we have agreed to entertain each other at home rather than go out for meals with the kids which we did at least twice a month.

Current Debts

Bank of Mum and Dad - £4336.66 (17 payments left)
    Bank Loan - £12,114.51 (49 payments left)
    Bank CC - £9019.51 (1% payment to come off for May) – all at 0%
    DH CC - £5500 approx. – all at 0% until August
    My CC – £5782.31 – mostly 0% but some spending at standard rate
    BNPL – £400 – due 21st December 2017
    Owed to DS – £1296.79 – 0%
    Balance of trip to New York - £1098 due October 2017

TOTAL £39,547.78

Our plan is to drastically cut our spending and cancel the trip to New York for a start. There is not much we can do about our bills until June/July when they will all be up for renewal and I will hit the comparison sites. It is our spending on food and booze and stuff that needs to be reigned in hence the title of this diary.

If we can stop adding to the debt by paying the minimum payments each month as well as clearing the BNPL we will knock £6000 off the balance by the end of this year. My goal is to be under £30,000 owed by the end of the year and then have cleared all CCs by June 2018 which is a massive challenge. We both get performance related bonuses, DH quarterly and me twice a year but none of these are guaranteed.

Wish us luck and control over our spending urges.
    CC 1 £2000 CC2 £12,465.53 Furniture £1629 Carpets £1103.36 (23 months left) - Total at 16/11/18 £17,197.83 all at 0%

Small EF 100% Big EF 0% Holiday 0% Garden 0% Carpets SIF Fund £87.82
Page 27
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 26th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    I've ordered a few times now from CF and they are really good and come quickly too!

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    I was just reading you when you were reading me Hope you are doing OK x

I have just had a letter from the energy supplier at my old house (left 2 years ago) to say they owe me £32 which I will round up to get the last chunk of the Virgin card under £1000 :-)
    Last edited by XSpender; 26-04-2018 at 12:00 PM.
    CC 1 £2000 CC2 £12,465.53 Furniture £1629 Carpets £1103.36 (23 months left) - Total at 16/11/18 £17,197.83 all at 0%

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 26th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    Updating my list to keep me on track

Three for Thursday and a couple of extras

1) Buy printer cartridges for work printer and get printer to work Done
    2) Print off passport application if fix printer - not done, I need to find my passport and take a new photo

3) Drop off dry cleaning for DH - now Friday
    4) Find 2 dresses that need repairing and drop off (in dry cleaners) - now Friday
    5) Scan DH payslip and send to mortgage broker along with the PDF of mine or post it Done
    6) Make appointment for eyebrow waxing - not done
    7) Give kitchen an quick once over - not done

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 28th Apr 18, 8:16 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    3 times I tried to post yesterday and got distracted by one thing or another, the first being a work call at barely 8am

I had another great training session at the new gym last night and will try and squeeze 3 sessions in next week as I am not away overnight for once. Nothing else on my list was achieved.

I did a small food shop and bought the last of DS gifts, the piñata, a birthday badge, and a sparkler candle. DH has bought DS a gift at work and I bought him a lava lamp at asd@ as requested so we are not going to get him the other gift we had planned. I couldn't find a card so we order one from the CF site as I saw one I liked on there. I am going to attempt to make his cake, a number 8, as I had a pink number 8 for my birthday.

I am really struggling to achieve much more than work, childcare, a gym class (by leaving work a bit earlier than I should ) and feeding the dog. I'm not sure what the answer is. My 3 things a day for this week just didn't happen. I have fished out my bullet journal to try and plan May so I can achieve more.

I only want a clean house, healthy meals, a couple of trips to the gym a week and quality time with DH and DS. Am I trying to fit too much in?

Today's plans are:

1) Complete passport application on line. Will need a new photo and printing out. Want to have this ready to post on Monday (5 weeks tomorrow until girls holiday)
    2) Skate boarding with DS into the village to take dry cleaning and dress repairs and into the park
    3) Joiner coming to fit cupboard door - need to pay for door handle
    4) Pork, greens and roast sweet potato for dinner
    5) Chicken or cheese salad wraps for lunch
    6) 3 loads of laundry - washed, dried, ironed and put away (DH to help with ironing)
    7) Tidy and clean living room and dining room
    8) Clean kitchen and floor
    9) Order DS birthday card
    10) Walk the dog

We are out all day tomorrow for DS final game of the season and an end of season meal so not much will get done on Sunday.

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 28th Apr 18, 10:02 AM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 22,608 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Ooh, you've just reminded me, our printer cartridge has had it!

I know what you mean about time. And energy for it. I am tired. I do a fair bit of travelling at the moment and have been going up the night before so that I don't get up before 5am and then expect to perform in the meetings. It means home life is suffering but as my retirement horizon is looming, I can live with it.
    MFiT T4 #2 update 90.89% after Q11 against revised stretch target of £60k balance
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 83.33% £9,999.70/£12,000 (after upping my target from £10k to £12k in October)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,696.43/£3,000 including stores 67.14% of my annual budget at the end of Oct.
    My DFD is here
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 29th Apr 18, 7:46 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    Ooh, you've just reminded me, our printer cartridge has had it!

I know what you mean about time. And energy for it. I am tired. I do a fair bit of travelling at the moment and have been going up the night before so that I don't get up before 5am and then expect to perform in the meetings. It means home life is suffering but as my retirement horizon is looming, I can live with it.
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    Another 20 years for me unfortunately

I am pleased with what we achieved yesterday and that the 2 frogs I had had at the beginning of the week, the party and the passport, have both been swallowed.

1) Complete passport application on line. Will need a new photo and printing out. Want to have this ready to post on Monday (5 weeks tomorrow until girls holiday) Done
    2) Skate boarding with DS into the village to take dry cleaning and dress repairs and into the park Done, £55 on dry cleaning
    3) Joiner coming to fit cupboard door - need to pay for door handle Done
    4) Pork, greens and roast sweet potato for dinner DS was fed but DH and I didn't eat dinner
    5) Chicken or cheese salad wraps for lunch Done
    6) 3 loads of laundry - washed, dried, ironed and put away (DH to help with ironing) 2 loads done and DH did some ironing so I'm classing that as a tick
    7) Tidy and clean living room and dining room - made a start
    8) Clean kitchen and floor
    9) Order DS birthday card
    10) Walk the dog Done at the park with DS on his skateboard

The new door in the hall has made a huge difference and DH is keen to get it painted to match the rest asap We asked the joiner about coming back next month to replace the sink unit in the utility which he will come and give us a quote for. We already have the worktop and tiles for this, just need a basic 600 cupboard unit, a sink and a tap. I also have enough paint left over from the kitchen and breakfast room to decorate it so shouldn't cost too much to complete.

I have a couple of minutes before I must go and get us all ready for a trip to the next county, about an hour away, for DS final matches of the season. We are having an end of season lunch afterwards which will mean we only need a light dinner.

Once we get back it will be homework, a bit more laundry, walk the dog and bullet journal planning for May. I also need to decide which frogs are getting tackled next week.

Have a lovely day everyone

• Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 29th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 2,174 Posts
    • 22,608 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    I am pleased with what we achieved yesterday and that the 2 frogs I had had at the beginning of the week, the party and the passport, have both been swallowed.
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Did I miss something? why are you swallowing two frogs?
    MFiT T4 #2 update 90.89% after Q11 against revised stretch target of £60k balance
    Save £12k in 2018 #53 83.33% £9,999.70/£12,000 (after upping my target from £10k to £12k in October)
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent £1,696.43/£3,000 including stores 67.14% of my annual budget at the end of Oct.
    My DFD is here
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 30th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    I have another 2 this week Suffolklass but I am force feeding DH one of them. They are:

1) Sell DS old bikes
    2) Full house clean

DS played brilliantly yesterday (his team won all 5 of their matches) and the coaches made a point of telling him they wanted him back next season. He starts playing a different type of game (same sport) next season and they have told us he is more than ready for it, has a talent for the game and knows what to do without being told. No idea where he gets it from as no one in DH or my family has ever played.

Work have failed to pay my bonus correctly again. It should hopefully be rectified today. We are skint this month anyway what with broken irons and doors, DS birthday, tickets for the last match of the season, colour run tickets for next month, DS birthday, a 0% offer running out and DH overspending his personal spending money again.

One of the reasons we are skint is we paid for DS bike in full out of the current account last month but haven't sold his bikes which should cover half of the cost. I am hoping I don't have to use the rest of the 52 week challenge pot at the moment but it is looking likely We also have a refund from the old electricity supplier on it's way and I need to chase up the refund from DS sports camp that moved venue and he couldn't attend in the Easter holidays. I also had a claim for a train delay but I have lost the ticket. I really wanted to pay at least one of these refunds off the next part of the virgin card.

I have a massive to do list this week (55 items and counting), a week at home with no overnight stays and DS birthday weekend. I want to get as much of the to do list done during the week so that we can give DS a lovely birthday weekend as I have to drive to Scotland again on his birthday and won't see him on his actual birthday once I have dropped him off at school.

I have dusted off my bullet journal to plan May this morning, work will have to wait a bit

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 1st May 18, 8:27 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    Bonus still hasn't been paid so I will be chasing that first thing this morning

My to do list has increased to 57 but I have made some progress and have completed 4/57 and made some headway with the laundry . The kitchen has been tidied and looks about 5 times bigger. DH and I have also had a conversation about tidiness and him putting something away when he has finished with it

We should be able to clear the £599.42 balance by the end of the 0% period on 30th May even if a bit has to come out of June's money on the 20th May. I keep forgetting about the bike money and refunds which will be another £200-£250 depending on what sells. More if we sell another couple of items.

I don't think DH getting paid on the 20th last month instead of the end of the month like has done since for ever has helped my budgeting as I have changed the way I use YNAB i.e. do it properly and have lost the plot a bit.

Today's mini to do list:

Pick up dry cleaning and dress repairs (already paid for)
    Finish laundry and dry on line
    Defrost chicken and freeze pork steaks
    Make something decent for tea (chicken curry and cauliflower rice from DH new diet plan)
    Chase bonus
    Chase sports camp refund
    Wash our bedding and remake bed
    Complete presentation 1
    Complete presentation 2
    Monthly reporting
    Expenses
    Create other report table

Forgot to mention DMIL has asked for some money for the ironing she did and DFIL cutting the grass but still hasn't mentioned the ruined iron so that is another £20 to find.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 2nd May 18, 8:34 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    Bonus still hasn't been paid so I will be chasing that first thing this morning

Pick up dry cleaning and dress repairs (already paid for)
    Finish laundry and dry on line
    Defrost chicken and freeze pork steaks
    Make something decent for tea (chicken curry and cauliflower rice from DH new diet plan)
    Chase bonus
    Chase sports camp refund
    Wash our bedding and remake bed
    Complete presentation 1
    Complete presentation 2
    Monthly reporting
    Expenses

Create other report table
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Some progress yesterday and I am managing to keep the kitchen tidy

Achieved 9/57 of the to do list. It's not going down very quick!

I have a meeting across the city this morning, near where my BF lives so will call in for a cuppa for an hour or so.

I forgot that the curry I planned to make needs marinating over night so made pasta and have prepped the curry for tonight when we both get back from the gym.

Bonus should be paid in today and I have allocated the interest on the account and a tiny bit of cashback to the Virgin CC.

Short to do list today:

Visit friend
    Go to the gym
    Wash towels
    Put away clean laundry and underwear
    Book eyebrow appointment for tomorrow

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd May 18, 9:18 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Wow... you are very busy! Know what you mean in all you want and yet where does the time go...I am in the same place. Opted to not do exercise class today so I could be at home, have dinner with family and well, breathe..

Hope your week goes well and you get the bank holiday off x
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct] 2018 Income Goal £100/£750 November Goals: AFDs 13/25; Decluttering 07/60; LSDs 05/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 02/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 2nd May 18, 9:20 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    I am also slipping on the bucket journal so will dust that off also. After a cracking March, April was a bit sparse...need to reinvigorate for May..
    MFW..aiming to pay it off in 2022.. 2018 Savings Rate - Goal 40% [29%May 25%June 15%July 32% Sept & Oct] 2018 Income Goal £100/£750 November Goals: AFDs 13/25; Decluttering 07/60; LSDs 05/10; NSDs 01/10 Exercise 02/15 12k steps per day pls Aiming to be a true Frugalista!
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 3rd May 18, 5:22 AM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 18,190 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    I so empathise with the huge to do list! I vacillate wildly between keeping mine down to a minimal level of three priority items then every now and again having to load the list up with 30 things in one day and just plough through them all. Hope you are getting things done and finding time for the odd sit down with a cup of tea!
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 1st Sept 2018: £12,221.27 unsecured debt/£19,940 parental loan/£191,003.72 mortgage = £223,165
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 3rd May 18, 12:26 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    The To Do List of Doom is now at 12/57.

I spent too long with my friend yesterday which was lovely but meant I was behind with work and with to-do-list stuff and nothing on yesterday's list got crossed off I did have a lovely couple of hours with my friend yesterday and learnt some very interesting things about calculating value of pension pots I didn't know. My friend retired at 52 following a cancer diagnosis last year so has had a FI review her position. DH and I are still wildly away from where we need to be and will probably never achieve the income we want in retirement.

The conversation did refocus me on clearing the debt by the time I am 50 (nearly 48 now) and mortgage free by the time I am 60 although I am not sure whether I need to focus on retirement savings, MFW or a bit of both.

I received the cheque for the old, old energy supplier today and some TCB so that has put the CC OP pot up to £36.48. This is to go towards the final part of the Virgin card. I still need to find £200 to clear the first part by the end of May. I have £160 put aside for the home insurance renewal in June which I could use and repay with the bike money but best wait until the bikes are actually sold.

I've just been paid and I'm wishing my life away waiting for DH pay to come in on the 18th so I can pay the next lot of debt off!

I have made a decision to write off the debt to person 2 (which is basically me, long story) and bring our debt balance down. We will be just into the £46ks by the end of May.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 18, 8:00 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    The first mortgage company has rejected our application and we are now trying a 2nd. I am disappointed as although the rate will be lower than we are paying now the monthly payment will stay the same. I am feeling pretty anxious that we won't be able to get a mortgage and will go on SVR and the payment will go up £300! Hopefully we will hear about the second application today so I don't spend all weekend worrying about it.

We have some lovely plans for the weekend, rugby on Saturday, friends over on Sunday for a little party tea for DS and decluttering of prosecco and cinema (free) or inflatapark (£36!) on Monday for DS birthday treat. The friends coming over also gives us more motivation to whip the house into shape but I will need to do another food shop as haven't enough party food to feed another 4 and forgot butter to make DS cake.

At least the work stress has gone down a bit as my meeting this morning has been cancelled so I have time to catch up on other stuff. DH has had a tough week at work with VIP visitors so is having this afternoon off and will pick up DS from school and take him to the park with his skateboard.

To do list of doom now 14/57.

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 18, 1:12 PM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    Panic over - application sailed through with the 2nd mortgage lender. Phewwww!

I have come up with a dastardly plan to clear the second loan and Lloyds CC by 31/01/19. It will require 6 months of laser focused frugality and little spending by me and DH. I'm not sure I will be able to convince him commit to it even though he said last night that when we talk about the finances he is more focussed on selling stuff and cutting back and needs to get more involved.

• WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 4th May 18, 1:26 PM
    • 1,815 Posts
    • 16,837 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Glad you got it sorted. Just think next time it should be even easier as the debt will be less

Hope you have a lovely weekend

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th May 18, 2:42 PM
    • 7,289 Posts
    • 16,029 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Glad you got the mortgage application sorted. As Wannabe says next time it should be easier as debt figure lower.

When you are in a position to address retirement savings when the debt is gone my suggestion would be you use the money you were spending on debt clearing and do mortgage and pension overpayments. Of course by then you may need to help DS with University costs too. Never ending with financial demands on us.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 5th May 18, 7:53 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    Glad you got it sorted. Just think next time it should be even easier as the debt will be less

Hope you have a lovely weekend

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Hopefully it will be under £10K by then if not gone completely Have a lovely weekend too WF.

Glad you got the mortgage application sorted. As Wannabe says next time it should be easier as debt figure lower.

When you are in a position to address retirement savings when the debt is gone my suggestion would be you use the money you were spending on debt clearing and do mortgage and pension overpayments. Of course by then you may need to help DS with University costs too. Never ending with financial demands on us.
    Originally posted by enthusiasticsaver
    I agree that splitting it is probably the best way to go. It will be no good sitting in a paid off house with no income and having to move before we want to. The plan is to be debt free by the end of 2021 at the latest, if DH never gets another bonus which is unlikely. DS will be 11 then so a few years to save up for Uni so I will need 3 pots; mortgage OP, retirement and Uni for DS!

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 5th May 18, 8:11 AM
    • 3,134 Posts
    • 32,195 Thanks
    XSpender
    It's a beautiful day here and we have a fun filled weekend planned for DS birthday.

DH managed to get away early from work yesterday so surprised DS by picking him from school and taking him to the park with his skateboard as there is a small skateboard park and play area. When I had finished work we went in to the village and had a cheap meal in one of the pubs.

DH has gone to the gym and we will take the dog out for a walk when he gets back. I will have to go to Asda again as our friends are now coming over tomorrow and I need more party food. We also need to finish cleaning the house and bake DS birthday cakes (2 round ones to make into a number 8).

This afternoon we are going for a pizza and then to watch the rugby. The tickets are paid for and I have budgeted for transport and pizza costs. I will see if there is a discount voucher I can use too.

Sunday we may go for a bike ride as it is supposed to be a lovely day again before our friends and their children come over for DS mini party. I foresee lots of prosecco in the conservatory while the kids bounce about on the trampoline

Monday we are going to the cinema (free tickets with bank account) and DS has chosen KFC for a birthday treat.

Tuesday is DS birthday and he wants his presents in the morning before school and before I have a huge drive and an overnight stay with work

Somewhere amongst that I have to find DH payslips, print all the tickets, print bank statements and list the bikes for sale!

I haven't spoken to DH yet about my super frugal plan but have started to look at ways we can cut back.

I have booked a delivery through Asda, registered via TCB, for next week. I am attempting to keep a better control over the food budget and keeping us out of the store.

• brizzlegirl
    • By brizzlegirl 13th May 18, 4:17 PM
    • 406 Posts
    • 2,698 Thanks
    brizzlegirl
    Hope this week hasnt been too stressful. Always good to have a plan. I need to up my game and that bullet journal is not being used nearly enough..

Have a good week next week x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,187Posts Today

7,215Users online

Martin's Twitter