MSE Newborn to 1 year Club

Comments

• euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Fingers crossed all is fine Freddie. Sounds like it will be if there are no other symptoms.

Stairgates, we have a lindam sure shut on the stairs (you have to go up stairs immediately upon entering our apartment), and it's great. Just release, and it snaps back into place. It's pressure fit. For her bedroom, we got a screw in one that screws into the frame, but so you can still close the door. Also Lindam.

We haven't got one for the kitchen yet. Needs to be much wider, and that is always tricky. Each area we needed one for, had different measurements.

We now have a 1 year old! Eek! Health visitor called yesterday to arrange the 1 year check up, so that's scheduled for 26th July. Molars are coming through. Broken through on one, side, but not quite on the other yet. Making her more grumpy than the others did, and more clingy. We have a goodbye routine for when I leave the house for work, and she never cries. Today she did, and had to be pried off me by Daddy. Broke my heart.

Hope all goes well with the op ThinkPink, I know it's scary no matter how small an op it is xx
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    How is everyone getting on?

I think our top 2 teeth have just cut the gums, not quite peeking through properly yet though.

Have others locked their kitchen cupboards? I really don't want to, as I want him to get bored of opening them and learn not to, however the constant open/shut/open//bang/open/shut and risk of fingers etc. getting caught in them is a worry.

Also applying sun cream to a baby, how?! Seriously. I think there must be a secret I'm missing out on!
  • Beckyy wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on?

I think our top 2 teeth have just cut the gums, not quite peeking through properly yet though.

Have others locked their kitchen cupboards? I really don't want to, as I want him to get bored of opening them and learn not to, however the constant open/shut/open//bang/open/shut and risk of fingers etc. getting caught in them is a worry.

Also applying sun cream to a baby, how?! Seriously. I think there must be a secret I'm missing out on!

We have put locks that have a magnetic key on a few of the cupboards. The ones with cleaning supplies or anything breakable in hem. But not the others. I put them on her drawers in the nursery too as when she was first learning to walk she would pull herself up on the handles and they'd open and she trapped her finger once.

There's a nice Nivea babies roll on sunscreen. Factor 50 and smells nice too. Found that a lot easier than a normal tube of lotion.
    Book a week challenge: 11/52. Competitions won in 2021: 12
  • ThinkPink
    ThinkPink Posts: 893 Forumite
    We have put locks on our kitchen cupboards and also the tv unit. He is onto everything and loves exploring so we have put locks on. Hopefully he will soon lose interest and they can come off. We had to put one on the tv unit and he pulls himself up on it so We were worried he would put too much weight on it and pull the door off! (Plus it houses the printer which he would certainly play with if he could!!)

I just have the spray lotions and just spray it on his arms and legs and rub it in, he's actually quite good with letting me put it on, then with his face I spray it onto my hands and rub it in.

I have booked his first nursery settling in session, I think I'll find it harder than him!!
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    It's good to know what others have done re:cabinets. I've got a spray bottle of Boots suncream as well as the aldi lotion so will give that a try. I've never used a roll on but good to know there's another option too.

We've had a considerable amount of settling sessions at nursery for my impending return to work. I'm finally starting to relax a bit more about it. We had a couple of sessions he realised he was being left and got really upset so I had to stay and play for a while then increase the settle sessions but he seems to really like the staff now which is so reassuring. Most other babies I know have taken to it really well. Mixed feeling about going back to work but hoping everyone will enjoy it.

When are you back ThinkPink?
  • ThinkPink
    I'm back properly on my reduced hours on the 1st September (luckily this is Friday!!) But I am doing a two mornings and a full day in August and little one will be going to my mil. She is having him once a week when I'm back at work so it will be a good way of getting him used to spending the day with her and then he is going to nursery for two days. I am expecting him to need some extra settling sessions and I said to my oh I may see if they have capacity to take him for a full day before I go back to work so he is bit more prepared otherwise going straight into two days there in a row may be a bit much.

When are you back at work beckyy?
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 12,247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Eugh. Teeth. Bl00dy molars! 4 decided to come through at once! Top two well established now. Bottom left broke the skin on Thursday, and bottom right pushing through at the moment. My baby girl is miserable with them! By far the worst teeth so far!

We haven't done cabinets yet, though we do need to as she is into everything also and the banging is soooo annoying!

We started swimming lessons a couple of weeks ago with Puddleducks, and she's loving it! :)
    February wins: Theatre tickets
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    First tooth coming through here. definitely more unsettled at night than he used to be. OH started back at work last week.

Childcare is myself on two days and both sets of grandparents sharing the other 3 days.

Have changed the level of the cot to its lower position as he can now pull himself up by holding onto the bars.

Got a new car seat today. Would need one anyway eventually but this means I can leave the old one at home for grandparents to use if needed. Plus the new one is much bigger and more comfy looking than the travel system one, we're off to Scotland next week so will be doing a lot of driving. Plus this one is one that can be used from birth to 12.

Appointment for hip scan at hospital is mid August a week after our holiday. Hope you're all well.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • ThinkPink
    Oh hope little Fred Wilson s ok with the teething. We definitely have more coming through, he is dribbling so much, constantly sucking his hand and what he can find to munch on!!

We had to put our cot bed on the lowest setting last month, it just makes it so difficult for me to put him in it when he is asleep as I'm so short!! I've had to buy a little step!!

What car seat did you buy Freddie? We got the joie every stages back in April to go in my oh car as it made things easier and I still have the infant carrier for my car but I think we will need to get another bigger one for my car soon and I'm debating whether to get another every stages or see what else there is.
  • FreddieFrugal
    FreddieFrugal Posts: 1,750 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 25 July 2017 at 7:26AM
    Joie Every Stage :D - wasn't sure if it would fit in as my Focus has really short seat belts and even just getting the infant car seat in can be tricky. I don't know why such a big selling 'family car' should be so awkward with the belts. But went to Toys R Us where they had one in stock. Lady there fitted it for us to check and she was really good, very knowledgable.
    It actually had more loose seat belt at the end than the current chair.

It seems great, much more comfy. The covers and padding feel really nice. We're going to use with the seat pad cushion (not the full insert) as it looked better on his back than without.

Got it for the flexibility but particularly because it's extended rear facing.

Cot is much more awkward, can't dress him in it anymore and need to be careful not to do back in. Especially on these awkward nights when having to pick him up several times.

He keeps being really really upset when he wakes in the night. Won't just have his milk like normal - has a bit then pushes it away. He then cries for a while and sucks his thumb until he's finally ready to have a bit more milk...and so on...until he's finally had enough, and ready to go back to sleep.

Can take over an hour.

He used to be such a good sleeper! During the day he's biting absolutely everything. Also picking things up to smack himself in the mouth with. Or yesterday he was just sat there trying to punch himself in the mouth! Clearly bothering him.
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport