Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DominicH
    • By DominicH 2nd May 17, 12:58 PM
    • 281Posts
    • 208Thanks
    DominicH
    Boiler condensate to surface drain?
    • 2nd May 17, 12:58 PM
    Boiler condensate to surface drain? 2nd May 17 at 12:58 PM
    Boiler guy proposes running condensate pipe to the same drain that the gutters go into, because the soil stack is hard to reach from the boiler's location.

I thought this was only allowed if the surface drains and sewers were in a combined system, so I phoned Thames Water to check.
    Their drainage people seemed confused by the question, claiming that they had never been asked if before, which surprised me considering that condensing boilers have been mandatory for years. Anyway, they said the drains are not combined where I live, but that there are no rules prohibiting running the condensate to the surface drain, and anyway it would be a "minuscule" amount of water.

This doesn't sound right to me. It could be several litres a day, and I have heard tales of potential fines, and of Thames Water themselves warning people who had run condensate into surface drains. So who's right? Is there anyone else I can try for a definitive answer, like at the local authority?
    "Einstein never said most of the things attributed to him" - Mark Twain
Page 2
    • Furts
    • By Furts 5th May 17, 11:15 AM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,884 Thanks
    Furts
    Originally posted by coffeehound
    OP was asking about surface drainage, and this does make it clear the discharge should be into foul drainage. It has always been considered good practice on all the sites I have been involved with for the connection to be foul drainage or a soakaway. Looks like these sites do follow the small print!
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 6th May 17, 1:26 AM
    • 5,384 Posts
    • 3,122 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    This is appalling advice from an alleged professional and would not be endorsed by Gas Safe.

Notwithstanding the chances of getting caught, discharging the condensate to surface water drains without a permit is a criminal offence under the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010, and subject to unlimited fine and 12 months imprisonment.

The condensate must go to foul/combined sewer or purpose designed soakaway.
    Originally posted by chrisw
    How do you know the gutters don't go to a soak away ?

What do you do if you aren't connected to the mains drainage but have a cess pit with perforated pipes, what do you think happens to the uric acid that leaves your body & soaks into the garden which I assure you is a lot worse than condense ?

If the OP feels that his only option is to have it go into the soil pipe then fine but he has to be prepared for unsightly pipes & extra cost, personally I think you both are making a mountain out of a mole hill
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • Emcla7
    • By Emcla7 12th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Emcla7
    I would check and double check, Iíve seen some people who give all the talk like they know but are still wrong, you can have all the qualifications but still have no idea.
    Anyone that has issues with you double checking should find something better to do than be sarky as one day when they are asking advice they may just get that sort of attitude back.....
    Easy to be rude behind a keypad
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 12th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 26,167 Posts
    • 94,971 Thanks
    Davesnave
    Originally posted by Emcla7
    Easy to be obscure too!

What is it, exactly, that has to be double checked?
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
    • bris
    • By bris 13th Apr 18, 12:15 AM
    • 7,906 Posts
    • 6,886 Thanks
    bris
    Thames water won't get asked the question very often, you local councils building regulation on the other hand will get asked it all the time.

The answer is foul water or soak way only. Do not terminate it to that drain.

Oops didn't realise this was an old thread
    Last edited by bris; 13-04-2018 at 6:50 PM.
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 13th Apr 18, 3:08 PM
    • 10,291 Posts
    • 11,573 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    I would check and double check, Iíve seen some people who give all the talk like they know but are still wrong, you can have all the qualifications but still have no idea.
    Anyone that has issues with you double checking should find something better to do than be sarky as one day when they are asking advice they may just get that sort of attitude back.....
    Originally posted by Emcla7

That may have been helpful to the OP a while ago but as the last post before yours was almost a year ago, I'm sure that one way or another the question has been answered.
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 13th Apr 18, 8:15 PM
    • 26,167 Posts
    • 94,971 Thanks
    Davesnave
    That may have been helpful to the OP a while ago but as the last post before yours was almost a year ago, I'm sure that one way or another the question has been answered.
    Originally posted by shaun from Africa
    Ah, it now becomes clear what should be "checked and double checked"..... the date!
    A garden is never so good as it will be next year....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

182Posts Today

1,017Users online

Martin's Twitter