IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

SCS Law letter received regarding outstanding fines. Please help!

Options

Comments

• safarmuk
    Options
    Hello, Please help me, I need a help re similar issue. Looking forward your reply.

Regards,
    Si
    I think you need to start your own thread, clearly articulating your issue and what you need help with after reading the Newbies thread at the top of the home page of this forum.
    When you start your own thread follow the golden rules, never identify the driver and never give away information that could specifically identify you or your case. Examples: naming the PPC involved is ok, telling us your PCN number is not ok.
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,035 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sibella88 wrote: »
    have you got a reply? Its urgent as i have the same problem

If it's urgent start your own thread and stop hi-jacking old ones please!
  • Doodakoff
    Doodakoff Posts: 50 Forumite
    edited 16 October 2017 at 10:37AM
    Options
    Hi all... back again! :)

A while ago, I was kindly helped by the experts on this forum in relation to a parking issue with Britania Parking and the firm that represents them. (http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5640952&page=2#topofpage - relates).

I was helped draft a pretty amazing letter that would hopefully put an end to it.

Unfortunately, these guys are relentlessness, horrible and unforgiving. They have now replied to said letter and sent my partner a massive package which includes their response (attached), photo's of the parking lot and every ticket/image of the car that they have on the database. Naturally, she's scared stiff and it's effecting her day to day.

To cut a long story short, these tickets amount to the value of over £3k (possibly more). The car park itself is confusing as there are 2 operators on what appears to be the same piece of land, one is pay and display, the other ANPR operated.. The only obvious separation is a raised curb. There are no fences.

Unlike my previous thread, for the benefit of myself and my partner, I refused to panic and allow myself to become a wreck.

My question is, given the content of the letter, is now the time to seek legal advise and get a solicitor to help us? I am fully expecting this to land in court. If not, should we just pay for the peace of mind.

Thank you for your time.

Letter1.png
    Letter2.png
    Letter3.png
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Is this a Letter before Claim or how is it titled?

You might want to reply to this and ask for all the information they have.
  • Doodakoff
    Options
    We have already had a letter that we were told to consider as a "Letter before Claim". That was back in May which is what we replied to. (I will take a photo of our letter later and post it up). That letter documented every fine my partner had received.

They have supplied us with every photo/ticket of my partners car. They have also supplied us with photos of the signs allocated around the car park and a map of the car park itself.
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Is this a Letter before Claim or how is it titled?

You might want to reply to this and ask for all the information they have.

@OP - read up on the new Pre-Action Protocol (PAP) which tells you what you are entitled to receive, as suggested in IAE’s post above:

https://www.hilldickinson.com/insights/articles/new-pre-action-protocol-debt-claims

http://www.lpc-law.co.uk/news/latest-news/2017/april/pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims/

Keep up the letter-tennis with them.
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I suspect that this has been sent due to the new protocols that came into being 2 weeks ago as listed by umkomaas above ^^^^^^^^^^

I hope you realise that its never over util the fat lady sings , in england and wales that is 6 years after the first invoice (or event)

very few if any "solicitors" will understand this topic and the cost of employing them for private parking sc@ms is prohibitive

perhaps the BMPA will help you ?
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    1. Since they are claiming familiarity with the CPR, point out to them that they should therefore know that:
    a. Part 31 does not apply in small claims track cases - see R27.2
    b. their claim that they do not have to provide any documentation to you at all is plainly wrong - see CPR Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct paras 3, 6(a) and 6(c).
    c. The Practice Direction applied at the time they first started corresponding with you, and a new Protocol (The Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims) came into force on 1 October 2017 regarding debt claims - they are likewise obliged to make certain disclosure pursuant to paragraph 3

2. The identity of the landowner is public record and will be held at Land Registry. It is absurd to claim that this is confidential.

3. The managing agent will have liability to the public in respect of its management of the site. Again, to claim that this is commercially sensitive is absurd.

4. Insofar as demanding that you identify the driver, this is their claim and it is up to them to prove it. You are not obliged to identify the driver. You are obliged to tell them that your case is that you are not the driver and that is what you have done. It is up to them to produce evidence of who was driving. There is no case law giving rise to any presumption that you were driving (Elliott v Loake and CPS v AJH Films having been held countless times not to apply to civil private parking cases).

Ask them to identify both the landowner and the managing agent, and to provide an unredacted copy of the contract.

Note 1: this is a high value claim. Please amend your post so you do not indicate who was driving: they may search the forum and be able to use your posts to prove who was driving. Because of the high value of the claim, I think that they are more likely than not to search the forum.

Note 2: the disclosure obligations in the PD and new Protocol swing both ways. Parties are supposed to put their cards on the table. So if there is any documentation proving the RK was not driving, produce it. If that identifies the driver, you're entitled to redact their name (eg an insurance policy). Things that will provide you are not driving may be things like texts, a google map history that might show where you were on the day (no idea how that works, but one of the experienced posters regularly recommends it), an email from your boss saying you were in work all day at a location far from the car park.

Note 3: read claxtome's recent thread - a carpark notionally divided into 2 and managed by 2 different entities with no proper demarcation or signage at the dividing point - he worked hard to show how confusing it was and he won on the basis of inadequate signage (as did another poster, kezza-something - she posted on his thread and had her own thread) - but both claxtome and kezza had complied with the t&cs of the part they drove into, although they'd unwittingly parked in the other part and that would have helped them because it showed good faith and was evidence of the confusion (why would they have paid at the ticket in the wrong part if it had been obvious that the ticket machine didn't apply to the bit they'd parked in?).

Note 4: I understand your wish to take legal advice. However, this is quite an obscure area of the law and tbh I think you'll get better advice on this forum than in a solicitors office. Plus legal fees are not recoverable in small claims track cases.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • Loadsofchildren123
    Options
    PS The Norwich Pharamacal order they refer to is an order for disclosure against a non party.
    Although a practising Solicitor, my posts here are NOT legal advice, but are personal opinion based on limited facts provided anonymously by forum users. I accept no liability for the accuracy of any such posts and users are advised that, if they wish to obtain formal legal advice specific to their case, they must seek instruct and pay a solicitor.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'd write back thanking them for noting your familiarity with the CPR. Indeed, it is such that you are aware that the provisions of CPR 31 do not apply to the small claims track. It may therefore be that (a) their client has been incorrectly/inappropriately advised or (b) that their correspondence is intended to mislead.

Where there is no legal requirement to provide the identity of a driver (and Parliament no doubt considered imposing such obligations when POFA 2012 came into being) it seems unlikely that the Court will make a Norwich Pharmacal order, where to do so would be both disproportionate to the sums in dispute and would, on the face of it, subvert the will of parliament.

The identity of the parties to the contract is highly relevant. Unless the PPC can show the correct chain of contracts then there are no enforceable tickets at all - quite obviously.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure