Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 22nd Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    • 1,905Posts
    • 10,910Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Lost in a good book? What are you reading?
    • 22nd Apr 17, 7:30 PM
    Lost in a good book? What are you reading? 22nd Apr 17 at 7:30 PM
    Quite simple, probably been done or tried before...
    MSE Readers' Club

What are you currently reading?

Favourite authors and genres etc

A wee place to talk about books...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Page 25
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 16th Dec 18, 7:08 PM
    • 712 Posts
    • 2,755 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Finished Amanda Stevens The Sinner the penultimate,and probably the most creepy and scary in the Graveyard Queen series,where even our intrepid and steady protagonist,Amelia Gray,who cleans and restores ancient abandoned cemeterieshas a terrifying time after she finds a ring of ancient graves around one containing a headless corpse,the leader of long ago satanists. Strangely all the graves have rare ''mortsafes'' welded on the graves,metal bars that were intended to prevent grave-robbers from stealing the bodies , long ago in Europe.But why on earth are they here in a wild little wood adjoining an abandoned graveyard?. It would normally be just an interesting conundrum for Amelia,until she sees the hands of a recently dead person reaching up and clasping the bars of a mortsafe.She had failed to escape being buried alive. Things go rapidly downhill from there. I love the spooky atmosphere and nailbiting tension Amanda Stevens brings to this series. I'm a bit sad that there is only one more book to go,book 6,The Awakening.
    Only 2 books in progress to be completed to FINALLY complete all this year's challenges,its been a tough reading year. I'm at least 30 books down on last year,and have been hard pushed to reach the end.I have about 400 pages to read to make it 144/144 in my 12x12 challenge.Trying to fit in reading 10 pages here and there when I can,but it makes for slow progress !
    SPC 2019 # 012 -House & Home Fund 2019 - 35 (+ c/f from 2018= 566) AF Mar-Nov 269 days+ Dec 19/24 Books read 2018:153 Prolific 5.20
    total savings 2018:1992card xmas savings 2018:1452 Savers 2018 - 220

• tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 18th Dec 18, 6:54 PM
    • 17,109 Posts
    • 45,155 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    Yellow Crocus

By Laila Ibrahim, it's the story of a slave who became a wet nurse for the baby daughter of a plantation owner, the affection between them and their lives.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I have just borrowed that book on kindle from the Prime lending library. I haven't read it yet..
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

• Ames
    • By Ames 19th Dec 18, 7:12 PM
    • 17,728 Posts
    • 31,353 Thanks
    Ames
    Phantom by Jo Nesbo.

OMG.

WOW.

O.M.G.

WOWWOWWOWWOW.

I think it's my favourite Harry Hole yet, I'm so glad that I ordered the next one just before I started it, I hope I don't have to wait too long to get it.

I can't see there being many more though - there's only so many scars that can fit on one human body!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th Jan 19, 3:07 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Currently re-reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Next on my TBR list is the rivers of london series that I got for Crimbo
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th Jan 19, 3:20 PM
    • 7,654 Posts
    • 10,518 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Is the Norse one any good? I have looked at it a few times and then changed my mind. Not that I am reading much at the moment as I am mostly writing!
    26.2.19/14.1.19: T MC 3629.26/3629.26 : VM 0% 1050/13876.59 : W 0% 100/1485 = 4409.26/18990.85 =25.17%
    28.1.19/28.1.19 Hubs 0% 400/2,977 =13.44%
    SPC 2019 #073

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 18th Jan 19, 7:08 AM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Yes, it is excellent
    It is basically the legends of the Norse retold in Gaimans' unique way.

When I read Neil's "American Gods" (if you've not read it, then get it!) I thought to myself how does he "know" the character of Odin, Grimnir, The All Father SO well... he has a very deep understanding of the lore behind it all having devoured the history and sagas of the scandanavian/gemanic peoples when he was a young lad. He details this in his intro to Norse Mythology
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 18th Jan 19, 8:01 AM
    • 25,925 Posts
    • 68,546 Thanks
    pollypenny
    So much Life Left Over.

By Louis de Berneires, I've just started it and am hooked. There are lots of characters and I have a feeling that it's going to as good as his Birds Without Wings.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Fruitcake
    • By Fruitcake 18th Jan 19, 10:35 AM
    • 39,381 Posts
    • 87,854 Thanks
    Fruitcake
    Currently re-reading Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman

Next on my TBR list is the rivers of london series that I got for Crimbo
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    I started Lies Beneath yesterday, the latest in the "Rivers" series. I do not think you will be disappointed.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister.

All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
    • Locky
    • By Locky 18th Jan 19, 10:38 AM
    • 970 Posts
    • 2,852 Thanks
    Locky
    I've just finished The Flower Girls by Alice Clark-Platts, which was a great, if rather harrowing at times, read!

I'm just about to start Missing Pieces by Laura Pearson, which sounds a tearjerker!
    • snapdoodle
    • By snapdoodle 24th Jan 19, 9:10 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 119 Thanks
    snapdoodle
    I am on a book buying ban till I've read the 82 paperbacks I have and 102 books on my Kindle. Currently reading "My name is Anna" borrowed from a friend at work.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 24th Jan 19, 10:32 PM
    • 6,188 Posts
    • 5,625 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Currently reading:

Arabia by Levison Wood
    Skunk Works by Ben Rich
    God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens
    Via Ferratas of the Italian Dolomites (vol 2) by Fletcher & Smith

all somewhere between extremely good and brilliant.

Genres: travel, aviation, science, secularism, almost anything non-fiction.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Mar 19, 1:09 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Reading "Early Riser" by Jasper Fforde... 'tis bloody good
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 6th Mar 19, 7:25 AM
    • 6,433 Posts
    • 9,270 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    This....

Ever wondered how the Diplomatic Service works? Here's an excellent read, just on the shelves, by an old colleague of mine.....

The Road to Deal Pier.....The Undiplomatic Memoirs of a British Diplomat

'Some of this book is true - maybe as much as 'a lot' - but there's also dishonesty, subterfuge, exaggerations, facts that are not facts, and historical inaccuracies in the mix too. So welcome to the world's first non-fiction semi autobiographical book, and it's written by a Diplomat. Don't pretend to be surprised.'

Written by Kevin J Lynch
    Recently published by I_AM Self-Publishing
    Available on Amazon @ 9.99
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 16th Apr 19, 1:07 PM
    • 1,905 Posts
    • 10,910 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    I am currently re-reading my way through the Johnny Maxwell series by the late great Sir Terry Pratchett and as it has been a good number of years since I last read them it has been great reaqquaniting myself with the characters. On to Johnny and the Bomb now
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Pension Geek
    • By Pension Geek 16th Apr 19, 1:55 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Pension Geek
    This....

Ever wondered how the Diplomatic Service works? Here's an excellent read, just on the shelves, by an old colleague of mine.....

The Road to Deal Pier.....The Undiplomatic Memoirs of a British Diplomat

'Some of this book is true - maybe as much as 'a lot' - but there's also dishonesty, subterfuge, exaggerations, facts that are not facts, and historical inaccuracies in the mix too. So welcome to the world's first non-fiction semi autobiographical book, and it's written by a Diplomat. Don't pretend to be surprised.'

Written by Kevin J Lynch
    Recently published by I_AM Self-Publishing
    Available on Amazon @ 9.99
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    Thanks for that, I will definitely be reading that!
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
    • Pension Geek
    • By Pension Geek 16th Apr 19, 1:57 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 133 Thanks
    Pension Geek
    So much Life Left Over.

By Louis de Berneires, I've just started it and am hooked. There are lots of characters and I have a feeling that it's going to as good as his Birds Without Wings.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    I loved that book! Cant believe that I haven't read any of his other work!

Currently reading 'The Jeeves Omnibus' by P.G. Wodehouse. Have read them all before, but thought i would dive in again.
    Not an expert, but like pensions, tax questions and giving guidance. There is no substitute for tailored financial advice.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 16th Apr 19, 7:51 PM
    • 25,925 Posts
    • 68,546 Thanks
    pollypenny
    The Silence of the Girls

By Pat Barker, it's the story of the women effected by the Trojan Wars. A female version of The Iliad.

Excellent.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,309Posts Today

7,029Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin