Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 22nd Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    • 1,670Posts
    • 9,080Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Lost in a good book? What are you reading?
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:30 PM
    Lost in a good book? What are you reading? 22nd Apr 17 at 8:30 PM
    Quite simple, probably been done or tried before...
    MSE Readers' Club

What are you currently reading?

Favourite authors and genres etc

A wee place to talk about books...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Page 22
    • elsien
    • By elsien 8th Oct 18, 11:21 PM
    • 17,411 Posts
    • 43,915 Thanks
    elsien
    I started Lincoln in the Bardo last night.

Couldn't put it down. Amazing story told by extracts from people at the White House and spirits in the churchyard. Sounds odd, but it works. We get their stories, too.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    Just got it out the library. No spoilers!
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 8th Oct 18, 11:32 PM
    • 14,573 Posts
    • 27,639 Thanks
    onlyroz
    The main problem with the Snowman film was that it was in English despite being set in Norway and all the characters having Norwegian names and largely played by Norwegians. This made it a very odd experience. It would have been better done in Norwegian with subtitles, or to have the whole story transposed to the US or the UK.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 10th Oct 18, 7:52 PM
    • 17,635 Posts
    • 31,135 Thanks
    Ames
    The main problem with the Snowman film was that it was in English despite being set in Norway and all the characters having Norwegian names and largely played by Norwegians. This made it a very odd experience. It would have been better done in Norwegian with subtitles, or to have the whole story transposed to the US or the UK.
    Originally posted by onlyroz
    I can see how that would be annoying. I don't like films that are a mash up like that either, pick one side and go with it. Although I suppose they'd have got stick whichever they chose.

------------------------------------

I'm feeling faint - I went into Waterstones and didn't buy any books

I did have a tea and a slice of cake though.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 13th Oct 18, 12:33 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    dustydigger
    I had similar thoughts with Kenneth Branagh as Kurt Wallander,everything was Swedish except him,and he stuck out like a sore thumb.He was OK,but I much preferred the subtitled Swedish version,with a much more time worn Wallander.Krister Henriksen.No glamorising of the settings,and much more ensemble acting than with Branagh.It was riveting stuff.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    2 Savers 2018 #19 178 Tesc* Xmas Savers 61.56
    Icel@nd bonus card 14 House & Home Fund 2018 - 322 (plus 174 from 2017 = 496)
    weight loss : 0/7lb AF Mar-Sep 208 days+ Oct 13/24 Books read Oct 4/8 Prolific 12.25

• Spidernick
    • By Spidernick 16th Oct 18, 11:41 PM
    • 2,928 Posts
    • 5,761 Thanks
    Spidernick
    We have the first winner of the Man Booker Prize from Northern Ireland:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45881852

Milkman, set in an unnamed city in Northern Ireland during the Troubles, is a coming-of-age story about a young girl's affair with a married man.
    Back in 1994 I was in a book club and got all six shortlisted books and read them all. Unlike much of the time (especially recently) I thought they were all good that year (How late it was, how late was the controversial winner, but I thought it was very good, although my favourite from the shortlist was Jill Paton Walsh's Knowledge of Angels).

Alas I have never been able to repeat that achievement.
    'I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my father. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers.' (Bob Monkhouse).

Sky? Believe in better.

Note: win, draw or lose (not 'loose' - opposite of tight!)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 17th Oct 18, 8:23 AM
    • 26,403 Posts
    • 56,253 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Yep, The Milkman has been added to my wishlist.

Not seen this thread before so looking forward to going through the recommendations. The Bookworm’s Thread 2018 (year 3) can be found on the OS board.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 17th Oct 18, 9:01 AM
    • 24,955 Posts
    • 65,230 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I'm reading Jo Nesbo's Macbeth at the moment. Interesting, but I'm not agreeing with everything he's done, of course.

Don't think it works as well as Anne Tyler's Vinegar Girl, her take on Taming of the Shrew.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Ames
    • By Ames 17th Oct 18, 11:34 AM
    • 17,635 Posts
    • 31,135 Thanks
    Ames
    Hmm, wonder if I have time to pop into Waterstones today...

I did something last night that I haven't done in a long time, and hate doing - I gave up on a book. It really was terrible and I was binge watching shows on Netflix just to avoid having to read.

Hopefully I'm back on form now!
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th Oct 18, 11:47 AM
    • 7,447 Posts
    • 9,609 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Sorry for being MIA. I have been lurking but, as I haven't read a page in weeks ( ), I have nothing to add...
    Tesco CC 020718: 3502.86/240918: 3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys cashed 14.84/cleared 21.45/pending 0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    50ps challenge:19.00 5ps challenge: 4.10

• onlyroz
    • By onlyroz 17th Oct 18, 1:31 PM
    • 14,573 Posts
    • 27,639 Thanks
    onlyroz
    Am half way through Lethal White, the new Cormoran Strike book from Robert Galbraithe (aka JK Rowling), on audio. As always it's very good and the narrator is excellent. Will report back when I've finished.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 17th Oct 18, 5:09 PM
    • 24,955 Posts
    • 65,230 Thanks
    pollypenny
    I've just been trying to sort my kindle on my iPad. It's very pretty, but annoying.

I prefer reading on my Kindle itself, lighter and smaller, but the app on the iPad doesn't pick up that's it's finished in spite of the sync option. And if I've only read on Kindlr, not at all on the iPad it's there too.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • Ames
    • By Ames 18th Oct 18, 11:41 PM
    • 17,635 Posts
    • 31,135 Thanks
    Ames
    I've just been trying to sort my kindle on my iPad. It's very pretty, but annoying.

I prefer reading on my Kindle itself, lighter and smaller, but the app on the iPad doesn't pick up that's it's finished in spite of the sync option. And if I've only read on Kindlr, not at all on the iPad it's there too.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    My Kobo is similar, it doesn't update the various apps. There are a lot of books on there that are to do with witches and I can't remember which I've read, which I haven't, and which I enjoyed. I have to fire up the Kobo to look through the list of read books.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 18th Oct 18, 11:52 PM
    • 17,635 Posts
    • 31,135 Thanks
    Ames
    My recent reads:

Good Morning, Midnight by Jean Rhys. I had to keep going back and checking when it was written, it felt so modern and far ahead of it's time. A woman who has had a horrible life experience is sliding into depression and poverty in Paris in the late 1930s. It was experimental in style and I sometimes lost track of the timeline, but my heart ached for the heroine. An absolutely amazing book.

The Burning Chambers by Kate Mosse. Set in Carcassonne (of course) and Toulouse during the mid seventeenth century - she's switched Cathars to Huguenots. A brilliant story with great, feisty characters. Another brilliant read from her. I've met her at a couple of signings and she's a lovely woman.

Ghost Hunter by Michele Paver. A disappointing end to the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. It could have been a bit longer, the final showdown was over far too quickly. I also wasn't keen on the new character who appeared from nowhere and solved several problems, allowing for a nice happy ending.

I'm now reading Blood by Michael Moorcock. It's interesting so far. I'm finding that if I concentrate and try and think about it I completely lose track, if I just let it wash over me it makes more sense and I enjoy it more. It's hard to describe - a book version of those old magic eye pictures, maybe.

I gave up on Bloodprint (can't remember the author). It was supposed to be about a small women led country fighting back against the 'Talisman', a patriarchal society taking over the region. Comparisons to the middle east were far too clunky, especially in names. It was sooooo slooooooow. And these feisty women who were supposed to be the elite fighting corps of their country kept needing rescuing by men. I tried it twice, but life's too short.

Does anyone who uses Goodreads know how to move a book from your 'currently reading' list to a 'did not finish' list?
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 19th Oct 18, 1:09 AM
    • 15,559 Posts
    • 131,987 Thanks
    zagubov
    I now have the box-set Stephen Baxter / Terry Pratchett series "The Long Earth" and the others...
    Happy Days
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    It's a fascinating and thought-provoking series. I wish they'd explore it further.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 20th Oct 18, 1:20 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Me and Mr Dusty have been ill on and off for a fortnight,and I have barely read more than 40 pages a day,usually in bed at night. I have finished a measly 4 books this month -down from 17 altogether last month - and my reading as a whole is right down. This time last year I had read 164 books by end of October,184 for the year. So far I am on a measly 132 for 2018
    I have revised this month's target down from 14 to 12,then 10,now 8!
    I have abandoned my plans to get most of the Hugos and Nebulas completed this year. Too mant 800 plus pages books involved.eg Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is an eye watering 1000 pages long alone So i have tweaked my 12x12 challenge,adding some shorter,lighter,dare I say less pretentious and more fun and exciting books? About 28 more books left to read for challenges in 2018. Going to be tough,hope I can do it. been doing book challenges since 2012 on book sites,and have never failed,even during years with a stroke,cancer,hysterectomies,and knee replacements so I am determined to do so this year.
    At lest I want to finish my ''E'' challenge this month. Have read 2 out of 3,but still almost 300 pages left of the third read
    Too many real life difficulties getting in the way of my reading life.Not amused.

SPC 2018 # 012 -
    weight loss : 0/7lb AF Mar-Sep 208 days+ Oct 13/24 Books read Oct 4/8 Prolific 12.25

• dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 22nd Oct 18, 11:06 AM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    dustydigger
    My third ''E'' book was very slow going,one of those reads where you have been reading ages and when you check,its only a dozen pages. So I have replaced it with !!!! Francis's Enquiry. Already read 80 pages in 2 days. Francis is still my all time favourite thriller writer,I have reread the vast majority of his books between 3 to 6 times. I love his stoically brave,principled heroes,his characterisation,and exciting plots.
    I have noticed for the first time that the pace,so often praised in his heyday now seems a bit leisurely at times,but still very enjoyable. But today's crime writing style has become so much faster,and influenced by TV style and pacing,so that older books may seem a bit slow now.
    Anyway I am really enjoying Francis's Enquiry,about a jockey unfairly suspended who is determined to uncover why he has been inexplicably targeted . Good stuff!
    Last edited by dustydigger; Yesterday at 11:09 AM.

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 22nd Oct 18, 3:07 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    Tallaght
    'Strangeways' by prison officer Neil Samworth

'Life behind bars with britains most notorious criminals'.

The guy himself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Mtl7zgFeo
    Last edited by Tallaght; Yesterday at 4:52 PM.
    • Tallaght
    • By Tallaght 22nd Oct 18, 4:40 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 548 Thanks
    Tallaght
    Peter Crouch 'How to be a footballer'.A very funny book by Peter talking about his time at various clubs.
    • dustydigger
    • By dustydigger 22nd Oct 18, 10:47 PM
    • 642 Posts
    • 2,116 Thanks
    dustydigger
    Finally finished a somewhat unusual Nero Wolf novel.Rex Stout's very fat,very sedentary detective notoriously extremely rarely leaves his New York home,and has his gofer Archie Goodwin to do all his legwork while he sits back and thinks.. So its quite startling when Wolfe agrees to go off to Virginia by train to be special guest at a gathering of some of the world's greatest chefs.Of course someone gets murdered,and Wolfe himself has a very narrow escape. Mild fun,but not the best in the series.That makes a not exactly huge 5 books finished this month,and I have about 40 pages of a 6th left to read..

SPC 2018 # 012 -

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 23rd Oct 18, 11:48 AM
    • 1,670 Posts
    • 9,080 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    It's a fascinating and thought-provoking series. I wish they'd explore it further.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    I'm afraid there won't be any more of this series as Stephen and Sir Terry completed it just prior to Sir Terry's passing
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,898Posts Today

8,820Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Pownerpuff: @MartinSLewis thanks to your guidance, my monthly outgoings (bills) are £400 cheaper PER MONTH than they were 2 years ago!!?

• The programme is primarily aimed at parents not kids. But I think mid teens upwards is likely fine https://t.co/SIJczfKJW8

• Even if u don't have kids, Id love u to watch my 10 things ur kids need to know doco tonight ITV 9pm. It mixes mone? https://t.co/YIqNbllX8h

• Follow Martin