Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    • 1,903Posts
    • 10,889Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 8:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 8:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 8:04 PM.
Page 91
    • Enjoying life more
    • By Enjoying life more 16th Apr 19, 8:47 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Enjoying life more
    Sorry to read you’ve been struggling and I hope you are looking after yourself and that things are getting easier. I too have periods of MH struggles so I know where you are coming from. Glad to read you have great support as it is a big help - take care and best wishes
    Total Morg and debt outstanding March 2019. 84,487.00
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 18th Apr 19, 6:31 PM
    • 3,840 Posts
    • 11,477 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Hope you are taking care of yourself US and being well looked after by all including the dog.

Just popping in to give you a wave and say thank you for mentioning Blurt. I hadn't heard of them before, and now I know they're good I sent one of their boxes to a friend today. So you have helped spread a little more support.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 6% ...
    Campervan loan progress 20%

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Apr 19, 7:32 PM
    • 62,577 Posts
    • 270,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    I bought some Blurt post its
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 19th Apr 19, 7:50 AM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 10,889 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks and thank you for checking out and supporting Blurt

I read yesterdays' Blog post on Blurt and it really rung true with me and I am sure it will with others, I have shared it below for anyone who may wish to read as permissible by the Blurt Foundation;

MENTAL HEALTH IS A SLIDING SCALE
    APRIL 18, 2019 | LIVING WITH DEPRESSION | BY BLURT TEAM |

When we hear the term ‘mental health‘, our minds often go straight to thinking about mental illness and if we’ve never experienced mental ill health, we don’t think the conversation applies to us. But it does, we all have mental health. The term ‘mental health’ encompasses a broader spectrum of experiences than mental illness. We can have good, as well as poor, mental health, and also be somewhere in between – our mental health is interchangeable, mental health is a sliding scale.

GOOD MENTAL HEALTH
    ‘Good’ mental health doesn’t mean that we never experience a negative emotion. It’s perfectly normal to feel a whole range of emotions – from grief and sadness to excitement and happiness, and everything in between.

When we’re feeling mentally healthy, we’re able to cope with and express these fluctuations in our mood. We’re normally able to cope with the things that life throws at us, including any change and uncertainty that crop up.

SOME OF US EXPERIENCE MENTAL ILLNESS
    We all have mental health, with around 1 in 4 of us experiencing mental illness. Mental illness occurs when our emotions go beyond what we would normally expect people to cope with at either end of the spectrum. This includes particularly low emotions, such as depression, and heightened emotions, such as mania.

Mental illness can affect the way that we think, feel, act, behave, and interact with other people. It can alter the way that we experience the world, and consequently the way that we respond to it.

Having a mental illness doesn’t mean that we will never feel mentally well again. For many of us, we will experience a period of mental illness, and then learn to manage it, or find that our illness goes into remission.

WE ALL HAVE DIFFERENT EXPERIENCES
    There are a huge range of diagnoses under the term ‘mental illness’, and two people with an identical diagnosis can have very different experiences. Under ‘depression’ alone, there are numerous different types of depression.

People with diagnosable mental health conditions will have different combinations of symptoms, all of which will affect their lives differently based on their personal circumstances. For example, someone might have two or three symptoms of depression. These symptoms could have an impact on their life and cause them to feel distressed at times. They might need some support from their GP and mental health team. Their illness could impact the way that they’re able to interact with their family and friends. This person might still be able to work. They might still be able to look after their children, with some support, might still be able to drive, and might see their friends occasionally.

Another person might also have a diagnosis of depression. They might experience 10 or 11 symptoms. They might find that they’re frequently distressed, and struggle to look after themselves. This person might not be able to go into work, might need someone else to support their family for a while, and might be totally isolated from their friends. They might not be safe enough to drive, and it might reach the point where this person needs to spend some time in hospital.

There can be a whole spectrum of experiences within a diagnosis. Within depression, diagnosis is sometimes broken down into ‘mild’, ‘moderate’ and ‘severe’. It doesn’t mean that one person’s struggle is more valid or more important than another person’s.

OUTSIDE INFLUENCES MATTER
    All sorts of things can affect our mental health, and these things can also have an impact on how we experience different symptoms. This is often related to our background, gender, ethnicity, family set-up, job, living situation, and lots of other things.

For example, one of the symptoms of depression is struggling to sleep. If we live in a noisy area, with lots of different people in the house, and have a job that we have to be up for at 5 am each morning, then we’re likely to struggle with sleep-deprivation more than someone who lives in a quieter area.

Additionally, outside influences can impact how much we’re able to help ourselves. For example, we know that exercising can be helpful when it comes to managing to depression. However, many people, such as those with chronic physical health problems, are unable to exercise.

All of the things that make up our lives can affect how we experience mental illness, how much our symptoms affect us, and how able we are to manage our condition.

TIMEFRAMES CAN VARY
    Those of us with mental illness are likely to live with our illness for different lengths of time. For some of us, our illness might be something that we will live with for the majority of our lives. We can learn to manage it, and reach the point where we’re able to keep it under control, but our illness might not go into remission. Others may experience a single episode, or recurrent episodes, of their illness, but have periods of wellness in between. Many people experience both periods of wellness and periods of illness. Illness isn’t usually a set way of being and can change over the course of our lives.

WE CAN HAVE BETTER DAYS
    When we have a diagnosable mental illness, such as depression, it doesn’t mean we’re always sad. We will probably have times when we smile, and times when we laugh. There might be minutes, hours, or days when we get the giggles, we have an amazing time, and we forget about our illness for a little while. Having good times doesn’t mean that we no longer have depression. Our mental health is always a sliding scale, we will always have better days and less-good days, even when mental illness is involved.

Please help us to help others and share this post, you never know who might need it.

Practicing self-care to take care of myself so that I can help to support others
    Thankful for all the help and support I am getting from everyone.

TFI Friday

Today after work I am off to see the mothership and then over the weekend I will be hiking and camping with the GF, mates, assorted dugs and other small creatures

Have a grand time folks wherever ye are and whatever you are doing
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 19th Apr 19, 7:10 PM
    • 62,577 Posts
    • 270,708 Thanks
    beanielou
    Will share the post on my diary
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 19th Apr 19, 7:21 PM
    • 7,018 Posts
    • 50,831 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Well posted US Lots of information there for those that need it. Where I work we have an active MH group which is brilliant.

Have a grand Easter weekend
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2019 £201.59
    Weight loss 7.5/9LBS
    Emergency Fund £3260/£10,000
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 19th Apr 19, 7:26 PM
    • 857 Posts
    • 4,399 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Just stopping by with my support, Uncanny. Hope you're taking care of yourself and you enjoy your weekend in nature!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 20th Apr 19, 7:46 PM
    • 1,786 Posts
    • 9,805 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    You, sir, are an inspiration.
    Your generosity of spirit as well as your willingness to help everyone shines through, and I'm glad, though not surprised, to hear that you have those sorts of people in your own life.
    I hope you are having a brilliant and restorative long weekend.
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 20th Apr 19, 11:19 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Thats a good post re Blurt uncanny. Any men on here struggling from my own experience i cant recommend these guys strongly enough too

https://www.thecalmzone.net
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

1,833Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin