Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,695Posts
    • 9,291Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 80
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 11th Sep 18, 2:58 PM
    • 7,468 Posts
    • 9,705 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    Well done facing up to it and GREAT news that it isn't a problem.
    Tesco CC 020718: 3502.86/240918: 3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys cashed 14.84/cleared 21.45/pending 0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    50ps challenge:19.00 5ps challenge: 4.10

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 11th Sep 18, 3:47 PM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 16,317 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I am pleased to hear that you got it all sorted out so quickly, UC. Obviously a weight of your mind.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Sep 18, 4:11 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 9,291 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks folks

Wish it was as easy getting a good deal on insurance...
    I have stayed with current insurer (despite them being expensive), as I couldn't find any other decent insurer willing to let me pay monthly.
    Due to my circumstances every one I tried wanted full payment. Current insurer was the only one that said "no problem" to a monthly DD. Admittedly it's first time in ages I've had car insurance and they were the only ones who accepted that I had any No Claims (as I had been with them previously) and granted a "discount" but 60 per month??? Hopefully, next year I'll be in a better position to find a better deal...
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Sep 18, 5:42 PM
    • 58,080 Posts
    • 239,314 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great news
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 11th Sep 18, 5:43 PM
    • 58,080 Posts
    • 239,314 Thanks
    beanielou
    Boo to car insurance though

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 12th Sep 18, 8:31 AM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 9,291 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

New day, fresh start an all that jazz...

Need to complete and return revised I&E to the trusty Trustee, looks like there will be no real change in what I have available for the DCO payment but will have to wait for their response...

This evening I shall be moving the brew onto second stage of fermentation and transferring from brew bucket to the fermentation barrels. It will brew in these for a further 12-14 days prior to bottling. The smell of the brew atm is asolutely gorgeous

Right, busy day ahead, must finish coffee and get to it.
    Have a grand day folks will pop in an oot as time allows throughout the day.

It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 12th Sep 18, 8:48 AM
    • 6,559 Posts
    • 24,695 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning Uncanny,

Boo to the car insurance, that's a pain but at least it's sorted for a year now.

The homebrew sounds great, hope it tastes as good as it smells.

Have a lovely day x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 5660.00 Lloyds: 9878.75 BC: GONE Cap One: GONE
    OD 0/500 LC 371.25/1500 Washer PAID
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 7219.86/7000
    Savings for Christmas 385.36/400
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 13th Sep 18, 10:44 AM
    • 965 Posts
    • 4,022 Thanks
    ladymay
    Delighted you managed to get the car situation sorted!
    Moved back to the UK 05/01/18
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save 10k
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 13th Sep 18, 9:01 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 43,809 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Glad all's well that ends well with the car. Shame about the insurance though. Home brew sounds great
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Sep 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 9,291 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning folks

Thanks everyone for input and support

I have another wee quandry...

As I am doing a bit o travelling for the company (with more in the pipeline...) my boss is considering giving me a company credit card to cover expenses, such as flights, accomodation, meals and other business travel expenses.

Boss knows that I am currently going thru Sequestration and that I was recently discharged with a further three years of DCO...

This will be, as I understand it, a business account operated by and for the company and I shall of course have to account for every spend made with receipts etc for everything each month. Which is not a problem, as it will only be used for work related expenses.

IF I am understanding things correctly, as I am discharged from my bankruptcy and therefore no longer under it's restrictions it is possible / OK for this to happen. My boss believes so and I may be worrying over nothing but thought I would put it oot among my good friends on here for discussion...

At the moment all my travel bookings are made by my boss and I am given "pocket money" cash to cover the other essential expenses. Boss thought it would be best now I am discharged to "have me on the company account"...

So, thoughts???
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 18, 8:18 PM
    • 58,080 Posts
    • 239,314 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think it is ok as I am sure someone else I know had a similar situation.

You could always check with your trustee.

Have a good weekend

***Keep plodding***
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 14th Sep 18, 8:24 PM
    • 6,332 Posts
    • 43,809 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I would think that a it's work related it's totally separate from personal use. It's only like claiming back expenses. Best to run it past the Trustee though to be sure.

Have a brilliant weekend
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 404.08
    Debt 2180
    Weight loss 0/6LBS
    Emergency Fund 4000/10,000
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 15th Sep 18, 8:26 AM
    • 1,686 Posts
    • 16,317 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I would think so too but check with the Trustee to be on the safe side.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 15th Sep 18, 8:35 AM
    • 4,489 Posts
    • 26,136 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Its not a form of credit as it is the businesses credit card and you wont even have to be credit checked or anything.

Basically your company is trusting you with the card rather than the credit provider.

By all means ask the Trustee but I bet he says the same as we are all saying.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 1 for August
    NSD - 9/15
    (up to 12/8/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Lucifa73
    • By Lucifa73 17th Sep 18, 3:38 PM
    • 7,468 Posts
    • 9,705 Thanks
    Lucifa73
    I think it would depend how the card works...

Hubbles had a work Amex but the terms of the card meant he was personally liable for spend and he got his cash back by claiming expenses from his employer.

Alternatively the card could be a company card with the bill going direct to the finance team to deal with and you only have receipts to submit to prove spend.

The former may be a problem, but not the latter I wouldn't have thought.

I echo the suggestion to check with the trustee
    Tesco CC 020718: 3502.86/240918: 3172.14 9.44%
    Surveys cashed 14.84/cleared 21.45/pending 0.90... (plus 600 YouGov points...)
    50ps challenge:19.00 5ps challenge: 4.10

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 17th Sep 18, 3:58 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 9,291 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Folks and thanks for input

Trustee has said 'tis all tickety boo.

As was thought, the card will not be in my name as it will be the company that is billed and it is therefore up to the company as to who they decide to allow to use the company account.
    Trustee actually said it is a good way of dealing with work related expenses and saves mucking about with petty cash etc.

...and when I told my boss they were happy to be able to say, "Told ya "
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 20th Sep 18, 8:13 AM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 9,291 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning folks

Not been blown awa by storm Ali... was awfy windy

Been going through things recently and changing / reducing / making savings in my budgets etc
    Just had my annual review with trustee and awaiting their response to new revised IE / SoA...
    Hopefully there will be no change or a wee reduction in my DCO (one can hope eh?)

Have a great day everyone, will pop in and out as day goes on
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • SeasideGirl
    • By SeasideGirl 21st Sep 18, 4:48 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    SeasideGirl
    Hey, just came for a read of your thread (well, dipped in & out to p60, then read the last 20... Well done, it sounds like things have really turned around for you, and personal life is going well too I'm sure sometimes once we have a bit of headspace beyond worrying about money (or other things) we give off different vibes to others - maybe that we have a bit more 'availability' to focus on ourselves too. Not that I do, lol! Love your little furbaby too, she is cute.
    Going off to subscribe now...
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 22nd Sep 18, 2:03 PM
    • 1,695 Posts
    • 9,291 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks for popping in SeasideGirl

The wee furbaby is lying on the rug catching the sun coming through the window and snoring her little furry head off

Today I dropped in to check out a new Tattoo studio near me and was so glad I did as the Artist and his staff were / are superb.
    Discussed ideas for the full sleeve I've been meaning to have done and they're going to draft up a few things for me. Hopefully hear back in a few weeks

Having a quiet day today, just me n the dog... I'm grabbing a cuppa and a scone before we head back out for another wee trek in the woods n hills...

Hope everyone is having a great weekend
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 22-09-2018 at 2:32 PM.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • SeasideGirl
    • By SeasideGirl 22nd Sep 18, 3:19 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    SeasideGirl
    I want a tattoo... Just a little one (a dragonfly I think, with three little hearts trailing after it, one each for my DD's). Thing is I've never had one before and I'm worried it's going to hurt A LOT!! But with a big birthday coming up I just really want to go for it. DD1 has got quite a few now, including a stunning sleeve (not something I thought I would like when she told me about it, but it is amazing), and the other two have both got something small each. I would also just really like to surprise them, lol..

Dozing in the sun (rain here) and snoring sounds blissful. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Sept 2018
    Virgin CC1..................... 3334...........33.34.....19.17 Virgin CC2..................... 5775...........57.75..... 0
    DFS Sofa....................... 251.84........41.98.....0 Wickes Kitchen..............3305.42...80.62....0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,076Posts Today

8,871Users online

Martin's Twitter