Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,706Posts
    • 9,409Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 77
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 29th Jul 18, 11:41 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 17,787 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely time

Thank you for keep checking in with me

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 29th Jul 18, 2:29 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 16,675 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Hope you are all having a wonderful time in the lovely north and the weather is not too dramatic.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,409 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hiya Folks!

Had a grand few days away and managed to avoid most of the nasty changes in the weather.
    We didn't manage to get oot to the islands this time around, however we hope to at sometime in the not to distant future. We went up roon Oban to Fort William then to Arisaig then up to Spean Bridge and the commando memorial to say hello to my late uncles and their comrades. Lovely to see all the memorials to special forces personnel together and despite their friendly rivalry Para's and Marines, SBS and SAS all together... Each of my uncles had some of their ashes interred in wee urns alongside their old comrades.

We had a grand time wild camping with the wee furries (no campsite fees and saved a fortune).
    GF returned to work yesterday as she only had a few days whereas I have rest of week

Today, the wee furrybum and I went and visited / met a Fellow MSE'r
    Popped along to meet Pippi at her lovely gardens (the gardens are gorgeous and well worth a visit folks) and Pippi is as nice a wee person in RL as she is on here folks
    Had the pleasure of a personal tour and my wee dug ran aboot daft with Pippi's younger hound.
    Thanks Pippi and hopefully my GF and her wee dug will make it next time.

Noo to make sumthing for our tea tonight...
    Hope awbiddy is doing grand
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 1st Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 58,684 Posts
    • 243,148 Thanks
    beanielou
    Our Pippi is indeed as lovely in RL as here
    You must have been fairly near to me!
    Glad that you had a good break
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 1st Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 16,675 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    What a lovely break, US. We used to go there with Himself's late sister all the way to Mallaig. Just one of the most scenic journeys and the fish is just fabulous.
    And how lovely for you to meet Pippi.
    You seem to be getting on really well with GF. So pleased to hear that. How's your wee Mammy?
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 1st Aug 18, 5:47 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,409 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Toni'sfriend

The wee mammy is doing grand thanks.
    She has met the GF and... the two of them get on great
    My wee mammy has NEVER liked any lassie that I've introduced to her as my GF so I'm really pleased but also shocked and joked with GF as to "what did you do to my mam? She likes you!!!"
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 1st Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 16,675 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Aw, that's lovely. Makes such a difference when your Mammy likes her. She must be a lovely girl then.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 3rd Aug 18, 11:01 AM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,409 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Toni'sfriend - she is a lovely girl and I am really glad my wee mam thinks so as well

I have been so glad of my week off this week. I really needed the break. Things have been so busy with work that I was close to burn out... this week has allowed me to get my breath back and regain focus.

I am hoping tomorrow to get away down to the Lake District and do some hills there over weekend.
    Dependent on the weather conditions possibly do Helvellyn via Striding Ridge.
    Or may just generally amble about the hills n lakes.

Hope everyone is doing grand and has a lovely weekend
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 3rd Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 6,559 Posts
    • 24,749 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning Uncanny,

It is so lovely that your mam likes your GF, she really must've made a great impression on you!

Enjoy your ramble this weekend xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £5660.00 Lloyds: £9878.75 BC: GONE Cap One: GONE
    OD £0/£500 LC £371.25/£1500 Washer PAID
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £7219.86/£7000
    Savings for Christmas £385.36/£400
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 12 2019 #003
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 58,684 Posts
    • 243,148 Thanks
    beanielou
    Enjoy your weekend

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 4th Aug 18, 12:55 AM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 17,787 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely weekend

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 3,611 Posts
    • 10,018 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Have a great weekend US. Hope the traffic in the Lakes isn't too bonkers.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 4.8% ...
    Campervan loan progress 6%

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 6th Aug 18, 5:23 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,409 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Had a nice weekend

Back to work this morning and honestly within half an hour it felt as if I had not been away at all...
    However, I have been told to take on another two members of staff and to employ a PA
    I've never had a PA before but then isn't a PA the expansion of a good secretary?
    No offence to any PA's or secretaries, I have been fortunate enough to have worked with an excellent office secretary in previous employment who was a fantastic woman and basically ran the entire office admin for myself and three other managers... I'm guessing, therefore, that she was a very, very, good PA then...
    I now have an idea of the type of person that I am looking for.
    Just a bit dazed at the changes tbh. Glad that my boss has now acknowledged how busy things are and has approved these changes.

Right, the wee furry one needs walked and then we'll get the tea on.

Hope awbiddy has had a grand weekend and today has been good too
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 6th Aug 18, 5:39 PM
    • 1,934 Posts
    • 17,787 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Glad everything's going in the right direction

x
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 6th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 1,703 Posts
    • 16,675 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Oh that is good news. You seem to have been working really, really hard recently and you could do with some support. A good PA/secretary is worth their weight in gold.
    Where did you go in the Lake District. I'm off to Keswick in December as usual. That's a great town if you have a wee dog.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 58,684 Posts
    • 243,148 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good news on the extra staff

***Keep plodding***
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 6th Aug 18, 6:17 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Good re the pa that will be a bit less stress for you once they are in place.

Did you make a decision on the bike front??
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD £74.66 Survey Earnings YTD Ish £550.84
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    Qmee £46.60 Since 3/11/2018
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 6th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,409 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Toni'sfriend - I was actually in Keswick. Myself and the furry one did a walk around Derwent water and we also visited the stones at Castlerigg. Keswick is my fave place in the lakes

It's great that good changes are happening and hopefully I shall be able to enjoy my job even more as there will (hopefully) be less stress involved.
    My boss had noticed my early starts and late finishes and told me that he didn't want any of his staff spending their own time on company matters. He is a great believer in maintaining a healthy work / life balance. So I got a friendly telling off and approval for extra staff and a PA to cover all my admin
    It will take a wee while for it all to sink in though.
    Happy days
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 6th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 1,706 Posts
    • 9,409 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi Scott

Going to have a look at a set of Clarks brakes, as it does look like they are the best ones to replace mine with... and they're much cheaper than their competitors too
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Scott-Weiland
    • By Scott-Weiland 6th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 313 Posts
    • 676 Thanks
    Scott-Weiland
    Hi Scott

Going to have a look at a set of Clarks brakes, as it does look like they are the best ones to replace mine with... and they're much cheaper than their competitors too
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    A friend has them on his bike there not up there with hopes but he rates them miles above Shimano's.
    Cashback Earnings Ish YTD £74.66 Survey Earnings YTD Ish £550.84
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."
    Qmee £46.60 Since 3/11/2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,810Posts Today

8,351Users online

Martin's Twitter