Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,372Posts
    • 7,630Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 66
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 10th Feb 18, 6:50 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,111 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Glad you had a good day. i've been following your journey with your dog as when I began my diary that was one of the things i was aiming for. Just got it agreed I can get a 4 day week and only in the office 6 days a month. So, just need to leave said dog home alone 6 days a month. Thinking that is feasible. Might start visiting the animal shelter in the next few months. Any tips gratefully received...

Have a good evening
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Feb 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 11,831 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Your day looked fab. I'm mighty jealous

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 10th Feb 18, 9:45 PM
    • 5,605 Posts
    • 36,201 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    I had to change my password too after 3601 days apparently. Hey ho.

Sounds like a grand day out with Lacey, still really pleased for both of you
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £250.33
    Debt £2572.50
    April NSDs 2 AFDs 3
    Weight loss 7/10LBS Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    Dining room fund £
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 11th Feb 18, 6:59 AM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 24,427 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Glad you had a good day. i've been following your journey with your dog as when I began my diary that was one of the things i was aiming for. Just got it agreed I can get a 4 day week and only in the office 6 days a month. So, just need to leave said dog home alone 6 days a month. Thinking that is feasible. Might start visiting the animal shelter in the next few months. Any tips gratefully received...

Have a good evening
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Doing, my 2 dogs are left home alone 5 days a week unless it is half term for DD or DS is back from Uni.

They are walked early in the morning for 20-30 mins and again in the evening as soon as I get back from work. They get much longer walks at weekends (unless it's too hot and then we only do short walks due to rescue dog not coping in the heat well)

In winter I keep my back door closed otherwise downstairs is too cold but in summer I leave the back door open and the dogs have access to our garden.

My neigbours tell me that the dogs dont bark when left alone, too be honest their dog barks more than ours but we dont say anything.

Our first dog we got from my brother as he was having to leave his accomodation, she got into our routine pretty quickly but does have a habit of chewing everything when bored, I think we went through about 20 TV remotes in 6 months (we ended up buying a job lot on ebay), numerous shoes etc - it certainly made us tidier. Since we got dog 2 she is much better although on Thurs she was bored and chewed all my daughters make up which she left downstairs!!) I think this is a staffie trait!!!

Our 2nd dog we got from a rescue, she is a failed foster dog. They were fine with us leaving her all day as we have the other dog. She is older (possibly 6 or 7 - no one knows her age) and is very well behaved and only chews the toys we give her

I think that the bigger rescues can be more strict with dogs being left at home alone ever whereas smaller organisations have more relaxed rules.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 34 for April
    NSD - 0/15
    (up to 2/4/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 11th Feb 18, 7:02 AM
    • 4,336 Posts
    • 24,427 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    PS will upload pictures when I get a chance as furrybum here is insisting on going for a walk (again...)
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    Can't wait to see the photos of Lacey, she must be loving these adventures!!

Do you know her history? I'm assuming she was well loved and trained at some point as she seems to do really well off lead (foxes not permitting).
    My staff x choc lab does well off lead but her recall is variable depending on what better things are about. Her first 6 months (not with us) lacked training and we haven't been able to train her 100% even with classes, she is very head strong.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 34 for April
    NSD - 0/15
    (up to 2/4/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 11th Feb 18, 7:48 AM
    • 6,017 Posts
    • 21,989 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning lovely,

Sounds like you both had a great day, despite the hail and rain.

Have a great day today xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6500.00 Cap 1: £417.28 BC: £8224.59 (temporary)
    AFD xxx LTW 12/16
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £3790.84/£7000
    Savings for Christmas £131.00/£365
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Feb 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 7,630 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Thanks for popping in

EE - I don't know much of her history tbh... All I know is she was previously fostered but there were issues with the foster family's resident dog and she was returned to the rescue / kennels.
    I've found her to be a very sociable wee dog who generally gets on well with other dogs. She has only retaliated to other dogs attacking her (a mongrel thingy that she quickly put in its place and some kind of bull breed cross that had a go at her too). She is always walked on lead, unless I am out in the great outdoors and reasonably sure that there is no one around and no livestock.
    Chewing, she only chews and plays with her toys. She's never really left on her own for long as I pop in and out to check on / walk her every 3 hours or so but I feel she is quite comfortable and could be left for longer if need be.

Have noticed we have spammers on the board and have highlighted this to the Forum Team for action...

I have bread baking atm and a batch of homebrew to prep.

Also busy getting prepared for an open day at the rescue / kennels... busy wee Sunday

Hope everyone has a grand day
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Feb 18, 12:25 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 11,831 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a lovely day US

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • ladymay
    • By ladymay 11th Feb 18, 1:36 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 3,810 Thanks
    ladymay
    Sounds like you and Lacey are a perfect match!
    Moved back to the UK 05/01/18
    New Job and New Business
    2018 Aim - Save £10k
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Feb 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,069 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    I also found that the smaller rescues are more flexible - Cats Protection told me I was not a suitable owner due to living in a one bedroom flat. Didn't want to hear about the size of the flat, the garden, my experience with pets - if one doesn't have a four bedroom detached sufficiently deep in the Home Counties countryside to be away from roads, and a trust fund/ somebody else's salary ensuring you can be home all day, not suitable. If I had thought about it beforehand, I would have realised exactly the type of person who would volunteer for CP in that particular town and avoided them

The local independent were much more sensible about it and funnily enough, felt that the moggies would be better off in a one bed flat with a garden and a human of their own than stuck in the shelter. They've also been fine about me asking about a dog, including my explaining that it would have to have either a walker at lunchtime or doggy day care, but don't get many who can live with cats.

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 11th Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 2,898 Posts
    • 14,111 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Uncanny Scot and Rosa, your posts have been helpful. I was obviously overthinking it. I now realise I could have a dog tomorrow and it would be fine. A rescue makes more sense to me so I will start looking. Thanks.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 11th Feb 18, 5:48 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 9,069 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Uncanny Scot and Rosa, your posts have been helpful. I was obviously overthinking it. I now realise I could have a dog tomorrow and it would be fine. A rescue makes more sense to me so I will start looking. Thanks.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    Yay!!

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... MFW progress 2.3 2.8% 3.1% 3.3%

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 12th Feb 18, 8:05 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 7,630 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Was SO busy yesterday I didn't get a chance to get back on here...

It's a white out North o the wall, loads of snaw everywhere.
    Be careful folks, it's slippy.

Hope to get back on again this evening with a better update and to catch up with folks.
    Have a grand day and be careful in the snaw

PS furrybum was very quick about her business this morning, she doesn't like it when it's snowing I think...
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Feb 18, 10:40 AM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 11,831 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I think I agree with Lacey, way too cold to be hanging round today!

Have a lovely day

x
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Feb 18, 7:47 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 7,630 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Hellish weather North of the Wall...

Yet another busy day ahead.

Last night I got home, walked the furrybum, had dinner watched some telly, walked the wee yin again and then collapsed into bed... today may be just the same, it's hectically busy atm

Hope everyone has a good day today and be careful of the weather
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 13th Feb 18, 8:17 AM
    • 6,017 Posts
    • 21,989 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    The weather is rather harsh this morning this end too.

Have a great day and don't work too hard xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £6500.00 Cap 1: £417.28 BC: £8224.59 (temporary)
    AFD xxx LTW 12/16
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD £3790.84/£7000
    Savings for Christmas £131.00/£365
    20p Savers 2018 £2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 13th Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 11,831 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Agree on the weather

Have a lovely day

x
    • Lilith1980
    • By Lilith1980 14th Feb 18, 6:46 AM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    Lilith1980
    The weather was bad here on Monday with all the snow but it seems to have gone now, although I hear more might be forecast! It's always a bit hairy driving to work when it's snowed but I just leave earlier and drive slower. Still don't like it though
    My debt-free diary
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 14th Feb 18, 7:31 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 7,630 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Had another message about changing log-in details for here... hmm changes happening?

Was wiped out again last night and had an early night. This time of year is mega busy for us...

Hope everyone has a grand day today
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 15th Feb 18, 7:33 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 7,630 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Was same again for me last night. Got in, walked the wee yin, had our dinner, watched some telly and did a few bits about the house, walked wee yin again and bed...

The mega busy work period should end soon and drop back to just the usual busy.

Hope to get on during day and this evening when I get home

Have a grand day everyone.

R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

18Posts Today

3,796Users online

Martin's Twitter