Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,470Posts
    • 8,251Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 59
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 9th Jan 18, 8:41 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Hello Uncanny! I don't think I've ever posted on your thread before but what wonderful news about the rescue dog! I don't know what I'd do without my wee furries... Currently sitting with my heart-rat Samwise in my lap snuggling. He's getting on a bit, he's about 2 and a half now and that's 75 in human years! I still call him my wee boy though. I would love to have a dog or a cat one day (I had cats before and they were brill). Ratties are lovely but their lifespan is far too short (only about 3 years) so it's pretty painful, you do get the same sort of attachment but it's all over far too soon.

I liked the post about Excel. It's what I use for my budgeting... I did download YNAB in August last year but just didn't click with it. Excel is so easy and can tailor it to your needs really well I think. I've got a book with a few different sheets on. I've got my 'Overview', 'Savings Projection' and
    'Historical' (because looking back at how bad things were makes me feel more positive ). I've also recently added in a sheet for my OH as well. I've got a Chromebook as my laptop so I use google sheets and keep it all on my google drive. I've got the sheets app on my phone so I can update things while out and about if I need to which I find really handy.

I remember I started to read your thread a while ago and you were baking and brewing your own beer. Is that all still happening?
    Total Debt: 900 / 7266.93
    Outstanding Debt: Santander CC 250 - Virgin CC 650
    Weight Loss: 11.6kg/ 38kg
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Jan 18, 9:05 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,701 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope you get to adopt your Staffie soon US, she will be a lovely companion for you and will be very loved .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jan 18, 9:08 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hi lonelyrat Thanks for popping in...

I use Excel a lot in my work and although I am by no means an expert, I find it really good for organising things. As I have gotten used to working with it I have found myself learning more and more about what it can do.
    Seen a few folks posting about using YNAB but my thinking on it is,
    "Hey, you know your rubbish at budgeting right? Use our app, that will cost you ££ a month to show you just how rubbish you are!" erm... NOPE...

So, I thought, I could maybe share what I have done with folks for free so that they can try and do it for themselves.

Plan is to do a wee bit on it at least once a week (more often if I can find time) so folks can put together a workbook that suits them.

Yes, I still bake and brew Actually supping a brew whilst writing this post

A few of my friends have rats too so I know just how good they can be as pets

Cats are great, I have been blessed with a few in my life but I would never claim to having owned them... cats are never owned, they merely tolerate our existence because we feed and adore them
    As the late Sir TP said, "Cat's were once worshipped as God's... they have not forgotten this..."

I'm really looking forward to meeting and making friends with the doggies at the rescues kennels and then going through the foster / adopt process with them. Love their approach and how they do their best to match dogs to particular homes / people. I currently have options on four (so far...)

Thanks too HHOD
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 9th Jan 18, 9:12 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 38,582 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Dogs have owners, cats have staff
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Jan 18, 9:14 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Dogs have owners, cats have staff
    Originally posted by Sun Addict
    that is absolutely bang on the button
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 9th Jan 18, 9:50 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I never came back to read the post Sorry.

I don't have office yet I don't think. I actually don't even know I will definitely get time to catch up with it and investigate tomorrow. I need to do something! Pen and paper is unreliable I keep losing it
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 10th Jan 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Another busy day today...

Wannabe - don't worry if you haven't got Office as you can use Open Office which is FREE

I'm gonna try and get more done on the walkthrough tonight, if I can...

Have a grand day folks...

R.I.P. T.P.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 10th Jan 18, 2:33 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 8,639 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    What a kind thing to do. I have a super basic excel spreadsheet that I use and it's ok as long as I don't get ambitious but I'll bet yours will be better.
    Cat and dog in this household - they get on just fine as long as muttley allows pusscat to do whatever she wants despite the fact that he was here first. The first few days were a little tense but they're mostly good now. They will even share a bed on chilly evenings.
    Hope you don't have to wait too long to start your doggy adventure.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 11th Jan 18, 7:07 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Evening Folks

Really tired tonight, have had clients visiting yesterday and today and whilst it has been a very good and productive couple of days I feel totally drained tonight

I haven't even got the mental energy left to work on the next bit of my walk-through thingy that I wanted to do

Feet up, big mug o tea, read on here for a bit and then I think it will be an early to bed for me.
    I will get back to the walk-through once I've recovered the wandering brain cells that are required

I am also working on revising my budgets for this year both at work at for home, which isn't really helping me any either... roll on the weekend and doggie visits

Hope you've all had a grand day today
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 12th Jan 18, 10:44 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Friday at last YAY

Another busy wee day today...

Tomorrow, I am visiting doggies
    Have been contacted by the rescue kennels and have arranged visiting for tomorrow morning to meet with the doggies

I am SO excited

Last night I ended up watching a prog on 4more, "Walks with my Dogs", I think it was called... and I just thought, "That'll be me and my dog soon"

Hope everyone has a grand day today
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Jan 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    So excited for you

Have a good day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • FiscalPickle
    • By FiscalPickle 12th Jan 18, 5:09 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    FiscalPickle
    Yay for doggie visiting! Hope it goes well, I bet you fall in love :-)
    DFD - 26/10/19
    In the process of shedding £20k and 35lbs
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 12th Jan 18, 8:06 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Evening Folks

Thanks for popping in and the good wishes for doggie visits

Has anyone else had issues with forum today? When I've finished reading a post and click on the "thanks" I'm getting a forum pop up message saying that I can't do that ???

What's occurring???

Anyhoo, busy day done n dusted, feet up a brew and a read / catch up on the go.

Hope you've all had grand days today
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jan 18, 8:23 PM
    • 55,039 Posts
    • 219,840 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope the morra goes well.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger.
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 13th Jan 18, 8:30 AM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 25,240 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Has anyone else had issues with forum today? When I've finished reading a post and click on the "thanks" I'm getting a forum pop up message saying that I can't do that ???

What's occurring???
    Originally posted by UncannyScot
    I am having problems this morning, I tried to look at someone's posts to find their newest diary and it told me to wait 15 seconds between searches but I haven't searched this morning and technically its not a search.

I waited a few minutes and tried again and it says the same so I am guessing there is a bug in the system.

Hope the doggie visits go well today. Photos will be a must once you have her/him home.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 17 for June
    NSD - 8/20
    (up to 16/6/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 13th Jan 18, 8:31 AM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 25,240 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    When posting the post above I got a message to say it was a duplicate message even though I only pressed submit once....

Will see if I can report the issues.
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 17 for June
    NSD - 8/20
    (up to 16/6/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 13th Jan 18, 8:32 AM
    • 653 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    117pauline
    Enjoy the visit today

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Jan 18, 1:23 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Afternoon Folks

Doggie visit went VERY well this morning
    Had a great chat with the lady who runs the kennels and her daughter; they really do love and care about the dogs.

I met the two dogs that I was there to see.
    The older dog was lovely and gentle and will definitely make a lovely dog for someone who wants a more sedate companion. I could tell from walking her that she would not be a dog to take on a hill walk or camping trip, she's definitely a curled up in her basket with a blankie kinda girl... she didn't really show very much interest in me when we met and has a very obvious bond with the lass at kennels who brought her out as when I was taking her for a walk she didn't want to go without her at first. I think she may be a dog for a lady...
    Lovely dog but not for me, hope she does find a lovely home...

The wee younger dog is a gorgeous wee thing and was all over me the minute she met me
    Had no problems coming with me for a walk about.
    We had a good walk and she was great on the lead. She loves her ears scratched and cuddles and she listens to what you say; I had sit and paw and lie down right off from start
    When we got back to kennels she sat at my feet while I spoke with the kennel owner's daughter and we have arranged for me to begin the initial foster / trial next weekend
    Next Saturday morning I will pick up and bring home a lovely wee staffie girl

SO happy and SO excited
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 13th Jan 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Such amazing news US I was going to drop a Text in to see how you got on. So glad it went well.

x
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Jan 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Thanks Wannabe
    It's wee Lacey that I will be fostering / adopting she just won me over instantly...
    R.I.P. T.P.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

595Posts Today

5,741Users online

Martin's Twitter