Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    • 1,470Posts
    • 8,251Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Rambling on...
    • 21st Apr 17, 9:01 PM
    Rambling on... 21st Apr 17 at 9:01 PM
    Where do I begin? This is hard...
    OK, I'll begin with my SOA:

Household Info
    Number of adults - 1
    Number of children - 0 (they are with their Mum)
    Number of cars - 0

Monthly Income
    After tax - 2104
    Benefits - 0
    Other Income - 0
    Total Monthly Income - 2104

Monthly Expenses
    Rent - 295
    Council Tax - 80
    Elec - 30
    Gas - 30
    Home Phone/TV and Broadband - 45
    Mobile - 12
    TV Licence - 13
    Shopping - 170
    Clothes/Shoes - 30
    Childcare/nursery - 500
    Other Child related expenses - 500
    Haircuts/Shaving - 10
    Entertainment - 20
    Emergency Fund - 15
    Total - 1750

Assets

Cash - 0
    House value - 0 (N/A)
    Shares/Bonds - 0 (N/A)
    Car - 0
    Other Assets - 0
    Total - 0

Secured/HP Debt
    Mortgage - 38500
    Secured Debt - 19500
    Total - 58000

UnSecured Debts
    Loans/Short Term/Payday - 6060
    Credit Cards - 1450
    Old Mobile Account - 330
    Total - 7840

Monthly Budget Summary
    Total Income - 2104
    Expenses - 1750
    Available for debt repayments - 354

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total Assets - 0
    Total Secured Debt; -58000
    Total Unsecured Debt; -7840
    Net Assets; -65840
    there may be a few wee errors here as I had to type it all out as it wouldn't let me paste it in...

As you can see, it's BAD... How did it get so bad?
    When I left home and got my home of me own I thought I was doing great. Single lad, I had a good job, good income, social life etc.
    I had the mortgage with the bank, credit card with the bank, then a loan for my first car...then other loans... and so it began to build up.
    After a while I managed to clear the loans and the cards and was able to keep myself in the black.
    Eventually, I met a nice lassie, we got married, had kids and started to build up debts again... Loans for holidays, cars, furniture etc. Used Credit cards and the bank overdraft for emergencies... we thought we were doing alright.

I rented out my old pad, the rent covered the mortgage.
    Then out of the blue I lost my job...
    I lost the the old place cos my tenant moved out, got married and set up on her own. I couldn't get another tenant who stayed long enough and paid the rent to keep it going... I lost it... repossessed.

My marriage fell apart, I left my family and the family home... had a total meltdown/breakdown.
    I ended up homeless, going from friend to friend, whoever would put me up for a bit, let me have somewhere to sleep.
    This went on for a few years, until I was fortunate enough to land another job. The friend I was staying with encouraged me to apply for a flat with the local council and eventually I got one.

I began to get back on my feet again, furnishing my wee place with second-hand furniture and other basic household items from the local charity shops. I don't have anything much (the old laptop I'm using is held together with duct tape and is veerrrryyyy sllloooooow...).

Now, i am being chased for my debts, it's time to face up to the mess that I have made of my life and wipe out the debt and become and stay debt free....
    Last edited by UncannyScot; 21-04-2017 at 9:04 PM.
Page 56
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 31st Dec 17, 3:07 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Its hard not to get excited

We got our girl same time as DS was born she will be 9 this year Choose her at a day old from a breeder local and she's been part of the family since. She doesn't have the run of the house though But she is the smalls bestie so get's away with cuddles on the sofa etc
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 31st Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Aww, a wee nanny dog right enough, bet she's been dressed up and everything eh?

Bestie has a cracking photo of one of his Staffie's from when he was a kid with a bandana round his neck and a cowboy hat on and the biggest, cheekiest grin I've ever seen on a Staffie... wee Charlie, he was a lovely lad
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 31st Dec 17, 4:07 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 12,734 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Aw I do hope it works out for you. I'm a cat person but the other two won't let me have one because they were so upset when our last one passed away. I love dogs as well. We always had one when I was growing up. How will you manage when you are at work? Do you have someone who could take her for for a walk and check on her or would she be OK by herself until you get in. My niece sends hers to Doggy Daycare. I am not joking - costs a fortune.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 31st Dec 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 12,242 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Enjoy your Hogmanay tonight Uncanny (but I don’t have to tell you that do I?)

And heres to a prosperous 2018.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 20/05/2018: £646.59
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 35!
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 31st Dec 17, 4:18 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 12,734 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Just wanted to say as well that you have done so amazingly well since your initial post. Very well done. I know there are many people on here who have appreciated your support and inspiration. Happy New Year and here's to a happy, healthy and prosperous 2018. xxx
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 31st Dec 17, 4:22 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Its hard not to get excited

We got our girl same time as DS was born she will be 9 this year Choose her at a day old from a breeder local and she's been part of the family since. She doesn't have the run of the house though But she is the smalls bestie so get's away with cuddles on the sofa etc
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    Aw I do hope it works out for you. I'm a cat person but the other two won't let me have one because they were so upset when our last one passed away. I love dogs as well. We always had one when I was growing up. How will you manage when you are at work? Do you have someone who could take her for for a walk and check on her or would she be OK by herself until you get in. My niece sends hers to Doggy Daycare. I am not joking - costs a fortune.
    Originally posted by Toni'sfriend
    Fortunately, I will be able to check in on the pup on a regular basis as my boss is a huge dog lover
    May even be able to take pup to work lol
    Looking positive but not letting myself get too carried away
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 31st Dec 17, 4:44 PM
    • 1,311 Posts
    • 12,734 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    May even be able to take pup to work lol
    That's great. You seem to have all bases covered so I can't really see a problem. Fingers crossed.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 31st Dec 17, 4:45 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 38,581 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Fingers crossed for the staffie, it would be fantastic if you got her - and such a lovely home for her with you. Dogs are such loyal friends.

Have a brilliant Hogmanay and here's to a cracking 2018
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 31st Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Evening Folks

Prepped for Hogmanay

We were going to do the usual and see in the Bells with Jool's... until we seen the utterly p**s poor line-up

Seriously? Jools, if you just wanna give up doing the New Years Hootenanny, just say to the BBC2 controller, "Sorry mate, nah, don't wanna do it this year." Don't put on a load of why's, who's and honestly WTF's A very long-standing NYE tradition totally ruined...

So, accessing the archives of the old external HD and an extensive collection of top class bands and artists and we shall have ourselves a grand Hogmanay Hootenanny of our very own... playlist selected and hit random... and here we go with...

I feel free - Cream (1966)

Wherever you are, have a wonderful New Year Folks, all the very best for 2018
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 31st Dec 17, 10:58 PM
    • 653 Posts
    • 7,282 Thanks
    117pauline
    Happy New Year

May all your hopes and dreams come true in 2018

Take care
    Pauline

Thank you for popping in on my thread, your support is so appreciated
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • CP2016
    • By CP2016 1st Jan 18, 12:25 AM
    • 104 Posts
    • 263 Thanks
    CP2016
    Happy New Year.

Lang may yer lum reek.
    “Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
    Wiliam Morris
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 2nd Jan 18, 10:05 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hiya Folks

A dark wet n dreary day here North o t' wall...

Last day of holibobs, back to work tomorrow...

May need to get a tyre for my wee car. Hit a pothole last night on way home from mammy's and when I got home tyre was flat... may just be a pressure shock deflation or the tyre may be fubar. Going to try re-inflating it and see if it holds pressure, if not it's a new tyre... and there goes part of the car EF but, that's what it's there for eh? Was planning a day's walking but depends how quickly tyre can be sorted out.

Right off to check tyre now. Will report back later...

Have a grand day wherever you are
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 2nd Jan 18, 10:49 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Boo to the tyre hope it's not too expensive!

It's very wet today out there isn't it.

Have a lovely day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 2nd Jan 18, 5:31 PM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Hiya Folks

Well, tyre was gubbed right enough so £50 out of car EF for a new one...

Made it out for a wee hike in the hills, weather was tolerable as we were well wrapped up and weatherproofed

Bestie and his missus got me a lovely Staffie wall calendar

Back to the usual routine tomorrow... what's the bets I won't get a decent sleep tonight due to having to get up for work in morning lol

Hope you've all had a grand day despite the weather
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 2nd Jan 18, 9:16 PM
    • 5,840 Posts
    • 38,581 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Boo to the tyre but at least you have the emergency fund.

Hope your first day back at work is ok, at least it's a short week
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £296.07
    Debt £2400
    June 4 NSDs 4 AFDs
    Weight loss 0.5/6LBS
    Emergency Fund £2000/£10,000
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd Jan 18, 12:49 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope the first day back at work goes well x
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 3rd Jan 18, 8:33 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Back to work this morning and with the exception of Happy New Year greetings, after half an hour it feels like I'd never been away lol

I was right about not sleeping well last night though, kept waking through the night...
    Hopefully, once I get back into routine I'll be fine.

Hope everyone has a good day today
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 3rd Jan 18, 8:38 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Have a good day x
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 4th Jan 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 8,251 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Morning Folks

Well, after a busy first day back at work I got home last night had my dinner, watched a little TV and was in bed and sound early (for me anyway lol)

Feeling a little better this morning, so hopefully be back in the groove by next week

I am still working away on the promised, "How to put a budget workbook together" thingy and fingers crossed, hoping to have it up on here over the weekend...

Right, need to crack on now, will pop on n off as per

Hope everyone has a good one today
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 4th Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 3,498 Posts
    • 9,346 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sorry to hear about the tyre, but isn't it a lovely feeling when you remember about the EF for just that thing?

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 3.3% ...
    Campervan loan progress 0%

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,574Users online

Martin's Twitter