Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    • 370Posts
    • 194Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 4:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 4:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 60
    • irishesman
    • By irishesman 15th May 19, 7:02 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 27 Thanks
    irishesman
    I stand corrected. You are, of course, perfect right. Iím 2 weeks ahead of myself

• fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th May 19, 12:17 AM
    • 370 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    fewkeste
    I've just received my account credit refund from PS
    I've just received my credit refund from PS. I left on 24th April and received my outstanding credit today.

From what I've heard about other companies hanging on to customers' credit for quite a long time, this is quite refreshing news.

Well done Powershop
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 16th May 19, 4:43 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Yes I received mine today too fewkeste. We followed the exact time scale

I also had an email from one of powershops customer services reps (who I have been in regular contact with since I decided to depart).

He emailed me Monday to say it was being processed and if it didn't hit my account by Monday coming to let him know

You can't get better than that can you. As I've said before I'll miss being a customer

I find it inexplicable when I read reviews criticising powershops customer service as I have nothing but praise for them

Farewell powershop it's Been a pleasure
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th May 19, 1:01 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Probably from customers who don't understand how to use it
    I find it inexplicable when I read reviews criticising powershops customer service as I have nothing but praise for them
    Originally posted by Tafrock
    I expect a great deal of them will be from customers who haven't really understood how to operate and optimise their accounts.

I remember all the confusion I had at the start but thanks to a very patient CS person (Hannah) I eventually came to understand and then optimise my account.

I expect the rising number of complaints they had from customers not able to grasp how to operate their account, or unwilling to put the effort in to monitor their account, probably caused them to create the 'Lite' version of the account.

I intend to email them to thank them for excellent CS, to suggest they encourage customers to download the app in addition to viewing their account online (because you can see future bill estimates in real money) and to tell them I will return if they become competitive again.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 16th May 19, 3:15 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I told them the exact same fewkeste that if they became competitive again I would return.

I can still access my account via the website at moment. Don't know for how long but it's useful because it contains two years of daily meter readings

I exported them for my personal use and have found a useful app for logging new readings on the android appstore but it's nowhere near as good as powershops excellent app was

I no longer have access via the app
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th May 19, 3:29 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    fewkeste
    What is the app?
    I exported them for my personal use and have found a useful app for logging new readings on the android appstore but it's nowhere near as good as powershops excellent app was
    What is the name of the app?

I bought a cheap second hand Android smartphone (a few pounds from eBay) just so I could download and use the PS app.

Normally I put my meter readings in a spreadsheet but if there's an app I'd like to try it.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 16th May 19, 4:00 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    It's called usage calculator. It's not perfect but it's the best I could find after quite an extensive search.

I ended up putting in my meter readings from last two years manually. Only one per month though I wasn't going to type daily ones In

It will do for now
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th May 19, 6:46 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Clarification of the exact name
    It's called usage calculator. It's not perfect but it's the best I could find after quite an extensive search.

I ended up putting in my meter readings from last two years manually. Only one per month though I wasn't going to type daily ones In

It will do for now
    Is it called only 'usage calculator'? I can find 'fuel usage calculator' and 'gas usage calculator' but nothing just titled 'usage calculator'

I'm electric only so a gas usage calculator would be no good for me.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 16th May 19, 6:57 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.enricoweinhold.verbrauchsrechner
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 16th May 19, 7:48 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    fewkeste
    It needs Android V 5.0 or higher
    @Tafrock - I found out why I couldn't see it in the Play store on my phone. It requires Android V 5.0 or higher and my old Alcatel Pop C1 phone is on V4.22

Maybe it's time to start looking for a more up to date smartphone. To be fair it only cost me a few pounds on eBay.
    • Umiamz
    • By Umiamz 17th May 19, 4:25 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Umiamz
    I only switched away on the 13th but have already received my final gas review from PS. That is really quick, considering the meter reading has to go from new supplier to industry 3rd party to old supplier.
    In my experience, the electricity reading takes a few days longer to be verified and sent to the old supplier.
    In fact, when I joined PS, the shop opened for gas around a week before the electricity.
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 18th May 19, 10:54 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Powershop Gas Prices
    Because of the unique way Powershop operates it's not easy to compare prices but using their Bill Information on my online account and the Which Comparison site I discovered the following.
    From 2/10/2018 - 2/5/2019 I used 13,039 Kw costing £322.61
    With Utility Point this would have cost. £388.99
    and Zog. £413.89
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 18th May 19, 2:00 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Looking back on my time with powershop the 1st year was outstanding. Kind of like an introductory capped deal where the cap is your first year promise. It really was a great 12 months where I bagged a lot of high discount packs. So many that the credit I built up enabled me to stay with powershop for 22 months

But after the initial introductory tariff I was baselined. My discounts dried up and my standard tariff went up in price. In effect a double whammy. Whilst my discounts decreased newer customers reported huge discounts being achieved. Why?? because they were in that initial 12 months.

I started using my credit quicker than I could replenish it so I jumped ship to a cheaper supplier ahead of my tariff review in September whilst prices were low with other providers
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 18th May 19, 2:35 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    fewkeste
    What happenpens if/when we return?
    Enjoy it while it lasts. Looking back on my time with powershop the 1st year was outstanding. Kind of like an introductory capped deal where the cap is your first year promise. It really was a great 12 months where I bagged a lot of high discount packs. So many that the credit I built up enabled me to stay with powershop for 22 months

But after the initial introductory tariff I was baselined. My discounts dried up and my standard tariff went up in price. In effect a double whammy. Whilst my discounts decreased newer customers reported huge discounts being achieved. Why?? because they were in that initial 12 months.

I started using my credit quicker than I could replenish it so I jumped ship to a cheaper supplier ahead of my tariff review in September whilst prices were low with other providers
    I absolutely agree with everything above. Now, the big question is if/when we ever return, will we also get big first year customer discounts and, if we do, they will presumably be discounts off a much higher Baseline Tariff?

The judgement call will then be 'will I get sufficient first year customer discount to bring these high baseline tariffs down to a competitive rate?' It's a big risk I guess.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 18th May 19, 5:16 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Yes it is fewkeste and unless people post the discounts achievable its very difficult to judge what can be achieved

When I jumped to powershop it was because top shopper was easily the best rate achievable. In hindsight I even beat the top shopper rate in that first year

However now top shopper rates are some 60 to 70 pounds dearer than the best achievable rates with other suppliers which are of course guarantee

I'd say its unlikely I'll return unless top shopper rates come back to market leading prices
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 18th May 19, 5:59 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    Enjoy it while it lasts
    I certainly will. I've never paid so little for my energy and had so much fun doing it. Hopefully you both will return with your sage advice and as dual fuel customers as Powershop seems to offer bigger discounts to new duel fuel customers rather than electricity only.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 18th May 19, 8:15 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    A year ago I was the same as you tlc. But once I was down to using 19.4% simple saver discount powerpacks the costs were rising. Basically I paid for nearly two years electricity up front with powershop. I virtually bought no powerpacks in my last twelve months (well I did but they were so low discount I ended up getting them refunded when I left)

Here's what I paid for powerpacks in my last 12 months

June _ 12.90 July 13.48 August and September zero October 27.45 November 38.10 December 21.73 January 22.92 February 20.62 March 14.09 April 14.64 may 4.84

Bear in mind my actual bills were between 28 and 31 pounds. You can see I was mostly using my credit that i bought upfront over a year ago when discounts were high. Only in November did I buy more powerpacks than I used.

My rules for buying powerpacks were anything less than 18% I disregard. I needed an overall discount level of 28% to make powershop viable. Come September and tariff review time that would have gone up too

Like yourself I enjoyed the experience. Was getting electricity at record low levels but it doesnt last. Powershops duel fuel offer was never low enough for me. Their customer service guys admitted to me they couldn't match zogs level of pricing when I took out my 24 month fix
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 18th May 19, 9:23 PM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Just checked. Got a quote for duel fuel with powershop. Still nowhere near competitive enough for me

Powershop top shopper duel is 921.10.

My current symbio and zog contract 851

But powershop baseline quote is horrendous at £1245

Which means a saving necessary to get to my current costs of 31.5% across 12 months

That's not possible
    • tlcgrantham
    • By tlcgrantham 19th May 19, 12:59 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    tlcgrantham
    According to my powershop app I've bought my energy up to the middle of October and paid £895.11 saving £414.28 which if true means I've got 31.6% discount.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 19th May 19, 1:15 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Tafrock
    How long have you been a customer. Less than a year I guess
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,814Posts Today

7,086Users online

Martin's Twitter