Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    • 182Posts
    • 129Thanks
    fewkeste
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop
    • 21st Apr 17, 5:18 PM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop 21st Apr 17 at 5:18 PM
    I'm just in the process of switching from Robin Hood Energy to Powershop and would like to receive feedback and comments about this new supplier. Apparently they are well established in Australia and New Zealand and are operating in the UK under the Npower licence at present.
Page 19
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 28th Feb 18, 9:41 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    fewkeste
    But I like to know where I stand
    Sorry but life's too short to be doing all this spreadsheet business. I'm paid up until about 4 weeks short of my 1st anniversary on 7 October. Taking that into account, I will have paid about £150 less on the anniversary than I would have done had I not changed. Actually it is probably more than that as the old supplier was putting its prices up for this year. That's all I need to know and no degree in maths required!
    Originally posted by Essexuser
    I know what you mean but I like to know exactly what it's cost me so that when I do an energy comparison on a website I can judge if the alternative suppliers offers are better or worse than what I can achieve with Powershop. Because of the way Powershop works I don't find it easy to accurately calculate how much I've spent for a given time period and associated consumption. To make informed decisions you need to know what your current costs are - not that easy on Powershop.
    • griffb
    • By griffb 1st Mar 18, 10:49 AM
    • 40 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    griffb
    I am paid up to almost the end of June, but with only 4 out of 15 allowed future packs for the April-June months, due to the discounts being relatively low around the 12.5% mark.

The packs on offer from 1st March do not look enticing:
    Snack Pack - 24% but a tiny pack
    Simple Saver - 10% discount
    Jumbo - 5.7% discount
    July Future Packs - 10.8%, maximum 4 instead of 5 and only £6 packs instead of the usual £10

With regard to the Future Packs, I wonder if they are thinking that my usage will drop significantly over the summer. It won't, as my heating is oil.

At these levels of discount from July onwards Powershop will compare poorly with the next best offering, from Outfoxthemarket.com, at least until the winter discounts kick in again

I'm wondering if it is worth the hassle to switch for a few months from July, or June or even May. A half decent 18 month fix from Outfoxthemarket also caught my eye.

Image already added
    Last edited by griffb; 01-03-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Trying to remove strange "Image already added" phrase
    • rob879
    • By rob879 1st Mar 18, 1:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    rob879
    I switched to Powershop in May ’17. By buying the appropriate ‘Powerpacks’, they claimed that I would receive a discount of around 18% on their ‘Standard Rate’. If I achieved this discount, it would represent one of the best rates on the market (and still does, I think).

In the first few months I was disappointed - as the discount achieved was around 12% - not the 18% claimed (see my post on 20th August). In response, Powershop did state that discounts were lower in the Summer months.

I have now been with Powershop for 9 months and am happy to say that my cumulative discount is over 21% - so I’ve exceeded my target – and I am not sure I could have found a better deal elsewhere? Powershop were true to their word that powerpack discounts would be significantly higher for winter months.

There is one big caveat, however: in order to achieve this discount I have had to pre-purchase powerpacks for future months – as these have the most generous discounts. This results in my account being significantly in credit - currently I have paid for electricity through to August 18.
    • griffb
    • By griffb 1st Mar 18, 2:13 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    griffb
    In the first few months I was disappointed - as the discount achieved was around 12% - not the 18% claimed (see my post on 20th August)..
    Originally posted by rob879
    I'm the other way round - I joined December, so for the first 6 months to May I am well ahead of the next best supplier. Problem is for the following six months (based on the discount levels currently available) I will be well behind. Over the full 12 months I will probably still be ahead, but not by a vast amount.

The more I think about it the more I convince myself that I should jump ship at the end of April or May.
    Image already added
    Last edited by griffb; 01-03-2018 at 2:14 PM. Reason: What is this "Image already added" thing?
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 1st Mar 18, 4:47 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    Interesting their max has dropped from 5 to 4. Also rather cheeky they haven't informed customers - I'd view that as a rather significant change to the relationship.

Almost certainly justified within their T&Cs but still not good IMO.

My max is 4 x £1.39.... as my usage has been non-existent this winter (I've been at home about 15 nights out of 80 or 90). I am a full year ahead (at least!), but still. If that discount was 20%, why can't I buy 5 (or 4!) x £10... why it is 4 x £1.39 in line with my usage.

Luckily I'll almost certainly be moving on from my rental property by the time my stack of credit runs out - and as a homeowner, I'll hopefully pass credit scoring for a 'standard' tariff.

I may not get as good a deal elsewhere, or struggle to save as much money, but the manner in which these changes have been implemented are what bugs me - not the changes themselves.

I was unlikely to buy July future pack whether they let me buy 5 x £10 or 7 x £100... but taking it down to 4 x £1.39 is just taking the pee.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 1st Mar 18, 11:15 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tafrock
    Very small discounts on offer
    4 x 3.82 for me. Mere 10% discount. Even appetiser is renamed snack pack and is down from 28 up 24 percent.

I wasn't intending to buy any packs for a few months anyway to get my over 200 pounds credit down. This month's poor discounts makes that a whole lot easier
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 2nd Mar 18, 1:42 AM
    • 182 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Low Future Pack discounts
    The low July Future Pack discount on offer (10.8%) confirms it was important to have maxed out on November, December, January and February Future Packs if funds were available at the time. This month I'll give the Simple Saver (10%) and the Jumbo (5.7%) a miss. I'm surprised the Jumbo discount is so low given how cold things are at present.

I'm guessing that when the August 2018 Future Packs are available they will probably be around the 12.8% level - similar to the May and June Future Packs.
    • Z0rba-cheeks
    • By Z0rba-cheeks 2nd Mar 18, 3:44 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    Z0rba-cheeks
    Dual Fuel Pilot - get your quote now!
    PS are giving quotes for a "Pilot" Gas supply now.

You can request to join the pilot through their Facebook page :

In response to this you get an email with an invitation to get a quote for Gas supply.

The basic figures that are quoting are as follows (applies to Yorkshire):
    Daily Standing charge: 0.22155 pence per day
    Standard Rate: 0.03875p per kWh
    Powerpack Rate: 0.03108p per kWh
    Very Disappointing!

My current supply is with Daligas who charge me:

Daily Standing charge: 0.21 pence per day and 0.0275p per kWh

So for my annual Gas consumption of 28,000 kWh the totals are:

Daligas
    Annual cost = £846.65
    Powershop
    Shop for Powerpack offers - pay as little as £951.11 (+£104.46)
    Easy Saver Promise - pay as much as £1033.43 (+£186.78)
    Our standard price £1165.73 (+£319.08)
    NOTE: The Bold Red figures are the PS estimates of the increase to my Gas bill if they supply me rather than Daligas!

So I'll not be taking up that offer!

It is also Very Disappointing! to see the sub-10% discounts being offered for the Simple Saver and the Jumbo packs.......
    #

PS: Where did the appetiser pack for March go?
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 2nd Mar 18, 6:14 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    fewkeste
    They've called it 'snack pack' this month

PS: Where did the appetiser pack for March go?
    Originally posted by Z0rba-cheeks
    I think they called it 'Snack Pack' this month. Someone else also pointed out the discount has dropped from 28% to 24%
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 3rd Mar 18, 4:26 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I'm with zog for gas and I'm probably staying with them and going onto saturn 24 v1. Annual estimate is 445 for me. With no exit fee and fixed for 24 months. Standing charge with zog 10.5p (market leading i believe). Unit rate
    2.973p.

I got a quote from. Powershop for gas and it's disappointing (at least 60 pounds dearer than zog). Standing charge is more than double zogs and that's the main difference

Here's my quote (west Midlands region)

The annual cost figures are based on the estimated usage figure of 13694 per year
    Shop for Powerpack offers - pay as little as - £506.48 per year
    Easy Saver Promise - pay as much as - £546.74 per year
    Our standard price - £611.44
    The applicable unit rates are below:
    Easy saver rate: 3.108 pence per kWh
    Easy Saver Promise rate: 3.402 pence per kWh
    Standard rate: 3.875 pence per kWh
    Daily standing charge: 22.155 pence per day

However For electricity I'm very happy with powershop I must say.
    Last edited by Tafrock; 03-03-2018 at 4:37 PM.
    • Somerset La La La
    • By Somerset La La La 4th Mar 18, 10:48 AM
    • 537 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    Somerset La La La
    I wonder if you could trick Powershop into giving you a large discount.....

Enter a high reading (not ridiculous, but something dramatically higher than you actually use) - for example my annual is estimated at 1500kWh, and roughly 100kWh per month when I'm here for the whole month and it's not freezing cold!

If I entered say 350kWh for this month, would they calculate my account review and subsequent powerpack amount on that? E.g. my pathetic £1.39 would jump up to £8 or something as it's above their expected usage for me and they then re-calc everything??

Then correct the reading a few days after buying the powerpack....

Not ethical, but I don't think they way they've done these changes is ethical either.... They only send a reader round every 3 months as presumably they have to pay for it?? But they do reserve the right to refuse to accept any reading if they deem it too high or low!

Powershop now aren't the cheapest for me - Scottish Power are by about £5. Only issue I have is I'm sure my bills are cheaper than Uswitch predictions (as I piled in on the 20%+ discounts), and another credit check! Exit fee for Scottish Power too.

With my use it's all going to be similar, everyone is within about £15 of each other. For others, these paltry discounts could make a significant difference to ongoing custom - although I suspect that's what PS secretly want.

They don't want people like me building up a £180 credit balance at 20% discount (even if they are earning interest/investment income on it) - they want people who can't be bothered to do the easysaver, claim the 1st year guarantee and then stay past the first year because PS send them some good promo mails etc!

The advise on here to snap up all the winter discounts and 20%+ packs was certainly good advice. I wonder if it's worth doing ahead of next winter, as hopefully I won't be here for much longer but I know the supply is 'portable' - so that means my ridiculous credit balance will also be portable?? Run that down to near 0 (at whichever property I'm in) and then switch away I feel
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 4th Mar 18, 4:53 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Interesting idea
    .... For others, these paltry discounts could make a significant difference to ongoing custom - although I suspect that's what PS secretly want.
    Originally posted by Somerset La La La
    I don't understand what you're getting at here - can you expand on this thought/logic please?

Interesting idea about trying to 'fool' their systems to get a bigger discounted pack. Perhaps try it and see what happens. Maybe it might have been better to keep quiet about the idea, try it and see what happens
    • Nmach24
    • By Nmach24 7th Mar 18, 7:40 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nmach24
    My experience with The Powershop has been terrible. They constantly mess up payment dates, their model is opaque and designed to rip you off and the customer service has been terrible. Steer well clear of using this energy provider
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 7th Mar 18, 8:40 AM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 3,530 Thanks
    Hengus
    My experience with The Powershop has been terrible. They constantly mess up payment dates, their model is opaque and designed to rip you off and the customer service has been terrible. Steer well clear of using this energy provider
    Originally posted by Nmach24
    Hi - welcome to the forum. You can only call it as you see it but my experience of Powershop was that their offer is different and, at first, somewhat complicated; billing periods can be irregular but bills are always clear and comprehensive, and customer service was always good.

That said, Powershop is not a supplier that I would recommend to potential customers who just want to sign up and take no further part in the management of their account.
    • griffb
    • By griffb 7th Mar 18, 12:02 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    griffb
    I can only agree with what Hengus says above. Powershop is definitely not for those who just want to join up and forget. You have to be very active in the management of your account, by buying the discounted powerpacks as they become available. Not sure what you mean by "messing up payment dates" - if you buy a powerpack you trigger a direct debit which leaves your account a few days later. Are you by chance not covering your usage with powerpacks, thereby leading Powershop to charge the balance at full price via the monthly account statement? The Powershop model does work best if you build up a credit balance with powerpacks.

I have only used Customer Support a couple of times, via email, and their response has always been within a few hours.

I think the jury is still out on whether the large disparity in discounts between the winter months (high) and summer (low) is viable, particularly for those of us whose usage does not vary much through the year. At the moment PS are wildly underestimating my annual usage, and I think this may be having a detrimental effect on the powerpacks being offered to me. We shall see....
    Image already added
    Last edited by griffb; 07-03-2018 at 12:04 PM. Reason: If anyone knows what this "image already added" message is, do let me know!
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 7th Mar 18, 3:50 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    fewkeste
    I do not accept this view of Powershop
    I cannot agree with what you have posted here. I have been with Powershop since April 2017 and I think their customer service is excellent. There were problems when I first joined them caused by my previous supplier not passing relevant information to Powershop. A consequence of this lack of information was there was a delay between going on supply and having an online account.

Powershop made sure I did not lose out because of this and compensated me for the Future Packs I wasn't able to buy because of the delay in my online account going live.

As a new customer learning the ropes I had loads of questions and Powershop customer service were excellent at providing answers to my many questions.

As other previous posters have written - if you're going to join Powershop you need to get involved in your account and proactively monitor your account to check for the best value Powerpacks when they become available.

A natural consequence of this is you do become more aware of your energy consumption and cost - which is one of the underlying principles of the Powershop model.

Also as posted above you shouldn't join if you just want to pay a monthly direct debit and do nothing else. The Powershop model is designed for those customers who wish to get more involved in their energy supply usage and cost and wish to reduce costs by optimising their future purchase of credit to reduce their energy bill.

It is not for everyone but I suspect those who 'get it' are very pleased with the offer with perhaps the differential level of discounts between summer and winter being the only irritation.

So, I have a different opinion of Powershop to you.
    • Tafrock
    • By Tafrock 7th Mar 18, 6:25 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    Tafrock
    I simply cannot agree with the negative comments posted here.

When I took out a contract with powershop I knew it was a unique and different way of buying electricity

I had my reservations as standard rate power is quite expensive but I thought I'd give it a go

Month one I bought everything I could. Built up a hefty credit (its now around £190) and guess what it works

The only reason it will not work for you is if you don't follow the golden rules

1 - read your meter regularly (I do it daily)

2 - buy powerpacks regularly (I buy all packs over 20% discount)

3 - use the app regularly to monitor your usage and ensure your costs are covered come billing period end. Under no circumstances let powershop buy energy for you. Standard rate is too expensive

My unit rates started at 11.49 p per kwh (not bad I thought). They've gone as low as an incredible 7.99p per kwh

Please don't criticise powershop because you fail to understand how it works. It's your choice to sign up so ensure you know how it works before you do so

All the above relates to their electricity

Their gas is another story its not competive by any means

Over 40 tariffs are cheaper for me than powershops gas

But for electricity it's a big thumbs-up
    • By 155695 9th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    I fully agree with the last few positive posts. I have never had a poor experiece with Powershop and I am heading for circa £150 annual saving on what would have been a £600+ bill with my old supplier. I sometimes wonder what the motives are of posters who come on a forum just to give a totally negative view when the experience of the significant majority is positive.
    • fewkeste
    • By fewkeste 9th Mar 18, 7:52 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    fewkeste
    Maybe they're either thick/lazy or from a rival!
    I sometimes wonder what the motives are of posters who come on a forum just to give a totally negative view when the experience of the significant majority is positive.
    Originally posted by 155695
    Perhaps they are thick or lazy and haven't really bothered to check out how to run their account OR could they be from rival suppliers trying to dissuade people from joining what is a very competitive supplier?
    Last edited by fewkeste; 09-03-2018 at 7:54 PM.
    • MattR1972
    • By MattR1972 12th Mar 18, 11:18 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MattR1972
    Powershop tips
    Hello all,

I am with Powershop and I use very little electricity (only), my average bill being £18-£22 all year.

For anyone with low usage, I recommend the following to get maximum value for money;

1. In the early months, Powershop will still be working out your usage pattern. I noticed the first "power packs" had a much larger % discount (up to 20% from memory) - tip buy up all of these packs - maximum 5 £10 packs a month

2. After six months, my discount on power packs (futures for April, May and June), have flat lined at 12%

3. Buy all the event packs, such as the monthly "taster pack" and check any calendar dates such as Christmas, Easter, Mothers Day.... these are normally a better discount

4. Get pre-paid as much as you can, while the % discount is good.

I am still prepaid by six months, but I think will switch when I have used this, as they are trying to claw back the initial good deals.

I do have one question, related to the points above;

- can anyone share their current discount offers on powerpacks? I suspect the discounts are "tailored" to individual usage.

Work the system and I believe Powershop is a great way to make short term savings there is no minimum contract length!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

3,241Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin