Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• geoffW
    geoffW Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 July 2017 at 10:00PM
    geoffW wrote: »
    What I don't like about Powershops Powerpacks is that you are relying on them to keep giving you a decent discount (20 to 30%) to make it worth your while, they could stop or reduce them at any time.
    The Easy Saver Promise is poor compared to many other companies tariffs.
    I have signed up with IRESA as I like a challenge.:rotfl:
    I was tempted by Powershop and even put the app on my phone.
    I will keep an eye on this thread to see how Hengus, Fewkeste et al get on.
    Hope you all make the full discount.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have signed up with IRESA as I like a challenge.:rotfl:
    I was tempted by Powershop and even put the app on my phone.
    I will keep an eye on this thread to see how Hengus, Fewkes et al get on.
    Hope you all make the full discount.

What's the problem with IRESA? Hengus alluded to problems with them in a previous post and they are the next cheapest option for me after Powershop. They were my backup option if Powershop impose a price increase so what do you know?
  • geoffW
    fewkeste wrote: »
    What's the problem with IRESA? Hengus alluded to problems with them in a previous post and they are the next cheapest option for me after Powershop. They were my backup option if Powershop impose a price increase so what do you know?

There is a thread about them, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5477354
    Most of the complaints seem to be about gas though. I believe they were stopped from operating by ofgem but have recently got their act together, got a new website and hopefully should now be OK.
  • fewkeste
    There is a thread about them, http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5477354
    Most of the complaints seem to be about gas though. I believe they were stopped from operating by ofgem but have recently got their act together, got a new website and hopefully should now be OK.
    Just read some of the thread - wow! I didn't realise you were into S&M:eek:
  • geoffW
    Just read some of the thread - wow! I didn't realise you were into S&M:eek:
    I'll let you know how I get on via the other thread.
  • fewkeste
    Just bought the maximum (5 X £10 - £50) of the December Future Packs. I'm surprised the discount is only 23.4% - actually less than the 23.5% discount for the November Future Packs.

If anything I expected the December discount to be higher. I don't know how they're going to hit the 22% average across the year if the winter Future Packs discounts are only just over the annual average they are hoping proactive customers achieve.

I would have thought to balance out the lower spring/summer discounts in the 12-15% range I would have expected winter Future Pack discounts to be higher than 23.5/23.4 % we've seen so far - even allowing for the fact that the per month consumption in the winter is much higher than the spring/summer months. I hope I'm proved wrong:D

I hope PS know what they are doing:)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I confess that I haven't a clue whether I need to buy them or not as the App suggests that my energy costs are fully covered until mid January 18. I am also wary of adding further to my credit balance until Ofgem confirms that it is fully covered under the Consumer Levy in the event of PS Energy's liquidation? As it is now three weeks since I posed the question to Ofgem, I guess that the answer isn't that clear cut.
  • fredandwilma
    fredandwilma Posts: 1,251 Forumite
    Chutzpah Haggler I won, I won, I won! Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Hengus wrote: »
    I confess that I haven't a clue whether I need to buy them or not as the App suggests that my energy costs are fully covered until mid January 18. I am also wary of adding further to my credit balance until Ofgem confirms that it is fully covered under the Consumer Levy in the event of PS Energy's liquidation? As it is now three weeks since I posed the question to Ofgem, I guess that the answer isn't that clear cut.

Hengus - I would have thought you, more than anyone else, (or an app,) would know when your costs are covered until. :)
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hengus - I would have thought you, more than anyone else, (or an app,) would know when your costs are covered until. :)

If only it was that simple. Today, I have purchased 2 small packs of energy at a total cost of £4.94. Based on the last couple of months, I can expect similar small packs at the beginning of each month. Mid month I bought £1.59's worth of energy (another small pack). I could buy a Jumbo Pack today for £8.23 (worth £8.87 = discount of 7.3%).

The App gives an assumed monthly usage cost but as I have PV Solar it is wide of the mark for the Winter months. It assumes that I will spend c.£130 on electricity up until mid Jan 18. Yet another spreadsheet has appeared on my iPad which based on the average monthly consumption for the past 2 years shows that the cost through until mid January is more likely to be £180: a shortfall of £50 on the SVT. In theory then if I purchase £40 worth of December packs (worth £52.20), then I am sorted until mid January; however, this doesn't take into account the funny little gimmicky packs that appear from time to time.

To complicate matters further, I have already paid £183 less 2 a bit months of usage which gives a credit balance of £130. Do I really want to go back up to £180's worth of credit which seems the norm to secure the highest discounts on meaningful usage packages?

F&W, you are right. After another hour of playing around with figures, I do have some idea; however, I am fortunate to have the time to sit and play around with a computer spreadsheet.

The PS app would be a lot more useful if the end user could input future monthly usage figures. If the PS computer is basing its offers on the App then I can see a shortfall in the discounts offered.
  • geoffW
    Just bought the maximum (5 X £10 - £50) of the December Future Packs. I'm surprised the discount is only 23.4% - actually less than the 23.5% discount for the November Future Packs.

If anything I expected the December discount to be higher. I don't know how they're going to hit the 22% average across the year if the winter Future Packs discounts are only just over the annual average they are hoping proactive customers achieve.

I would have thought to balance out the lower spring/summer discounts in the 12-15% range I would have expected winter Future Pack discounts to be higher than 23.5/23.4 % we've seen so far - even allowing for the fact that the per month consumption in the winter is much higher than the spring/summer months. I hope I'm proved wrong:D

I hope PS know what they are doing:)
    With British Gas starting the winter price rises with a 12% increase on electricity I can't see PS offering very high discounts in future, they should still be able to achieve their saving promise though.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback