Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 5,333Posts
    • 31,589Thanks
    in need of direction
    A whole new world, for now
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    A whole new world, for now 20th Apr 17 at 3:59 PM
    So, hereís the new thread Iíve been promising myself for a few months. My old one, that served me so well, is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4855808

A potted history of me. Iím 49, live in NI with OH, DD and dog and DS is London based.
    Have been in debt for a lot of my life and came here post personal debt but with the aim to clear my mortgage. I believe DFD to be the right place for me as a lot of whatís outstanding on the mortgage related to consolidation of other debts. The rates were lower and I just didnít consider the payback period.
    Having been a wage slave for some 30 years, I recently jacked in my well paid and secure job for a number of reasons. While I love what I do, I hated the environment in which I did it. I regularly travelled 6 hours a day, on my own time and had to ask others to do likewise. That was the downside about caring for my clients. While I continued, and got others, to deliver at the expense of my home life, my health and my finances, the firm continued to let me. I decided that Iíd sooner have some self respect than stay there. We also had an unexpected and untimely family bereavement last year which sparked the whole ďlifeís too shortĒ train of thought. The downside is this is the first time since I was 17 that I donít have an income and itís a big adjustment.
    To address this, Iíve decided to go the self employed route, for now (hence the title). One problem though is timing. We have booked a holiday in May for OHís big birthday and Iíve decided that is set in stone. We will be travelling half way round the world for two weeks to initially see pandas and then the delights of Tokyo. Weíve only been together just over 10 years so this is really our first landmark birthday to be properly celebrated, we were still bedding in last big date.
    So, work wise, Iíve created my website, taken out a separate mobile contract and opened a business bank account. Iíve also registered with HMRC to keep things tidy.
    Otherwise, since being unemployed, Iíve had a parking ticket refunded, gained a free overnight stay following a complaint to a hotel that disappointed and have signed up for a new loyalty card for my local Co-Op. I also switched to a cheaper mobile service and got my boiler serviced which restored the hot water! First world pleasure that is so easy to overlook. I've donated two bikes to a local charity, done a number of strolls to offload donations to charity shop, claimed topcashback, £20 from PA, £5 swagbucks voucher and am trying to declutter. My last car went with the job so I realised what a paucity of local shops there in despite being only 15 mins by bus from the city centre.
    The lack of car was proving to be an issue for family and other reasons so today we get a PCH car delivered that we have committed to for 4 years. This takes us into the realm of needing to use the mortgage off set savings to fund expenses. It also gives me a minimum level of income to achieve as eating into savings bothers me.
    So, whatís the plan?
    I lodged £2000 in my business bank account at the start of March and most of it is still there. By September, Iíd like to have this repaid to either the savings or the mortgage or to have secured an income stream that will enable that to happen shortly thereafter. Iíd also like a £1k buffer in the business account to make sure that I can take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
    I have applied for a few part time consultancy type posts, been unsuccessful at interview for the first, but will actively seek out these opportunities. Iíve provided associates with my contact details but come June, I will start more actively promoting myself. Iíve sought input from my LA business support services but to little avail so far. Iíve attended a few courses and networking events and will continue with these to keep some kind of a profile and, post holiday, will be creating an event that will hopefully income generate and/or build profile.
    I will continue to seek out vouchers and deals and will try to live cheaply but donít feel I can ask this of the others in the house as giving up the job was down to me. I will also get rid of extraneous items, for cash where possible.
    What I can see is that despite living semi frugally, or so I believed, we wasted A LOT!
    Today my outstanding mortgage is £83,478.58. By 31 Dec, based on just making standard payments, this will be £78,900. My target is for this to be £75,000.
    Today my available off set pot is £3,415.43. By 31 Dec, Iíd like this to be at £5,500.
    The truth is Iíd like the first figure to be a lot lower and the second to be a lot higher but I need to start somewhere.
    We still have our emergency fund intact and hopefully enough in the current account to address our living expenses shortfall at least to the year end. Spends for the holiday are ringfenced with any left overs going on extras for all.
    I have to confess to having what Iíve heard described as an internal Verucca Salt! When I want it, I want it now. I need to learn some restraint both in terms of shopping and also sugar consumption. Itís weird but one thing |I really struggle with is what to have for lunch.
    Anyhow, now that the car is here, Iím off to the dry cleaners and to pick up some groceries as I have a £5 voucher off a £25 shop. I may also buy a new toilet brush!
    Today I am grateful for
    The support I have consistently received from here

Company from the dog

E Mail
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £72,374.15, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £377.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £1,100/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Page 51
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 14th Sep 18, 8:27 AM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 31,589 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I was such a muppet. I was at the client until 7.30 then had to go back after dinner as I had forgotten my phone.

Dinner was amazingly good especially given how little the voucher cost. I would go back there paying their menu prices and still think I got value for money.

I managed to make a hair appointment for half nine tomorrow as my roots are in a bad state. I was holding off until just pre holiday. I am needed at the client on Sunday. I am tired. Dinner tonight will be leftover from Wednesday and I need to start sourcing stuff to bring with me as gifts for family. I also need to get currency sorted in the next week. My house is grubby. I'm such a muppet that I used a long handled dustpan and brush for a quick sweep of the kitchen floor. I then forgot to empty the dustpan!

Today I am grateful for
    Having my clothes ironed and ready to wear.
    Having moved one matter forward
    Nice time with DH
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £72,374.15, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £377.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Sep 18, 8:14 PM
    • 57,965 Posts
    • 238,462 Thanks
    beanielou
    Nice time with your DH is always good
    Have a good weekend.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Sep 18, 7:24 PM
    • 3,518 Posts
    • 19,411 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    You deserved a nice dinner out. Glad you enjoyed it
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 5/30
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 15th Sep 18, 9:43 PM
    • 15,336 Posts
    • 51,357 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    Just had to say you are not a muppet. probably just a tad shattered

Glad dinner was good

XXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Sep 18, 8:40 AM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 31,589 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Thanks Buffy but what else would you call someone who sits in the hairdresser than discovers that they don't have a purse?

Yesterday, for some unknown reason, I spent a lot of my time moping around and crying which was a waste of a visit to the hairdresser. Today, due to staff shortages, I am at the nightmare client. I then have 2 other major work tasks to get done plus a few others.

I am fed up living and working in mess. While at the client, the office I use is being tidied. This is not healthy. I need to start looking at what I'm bringing away with me. I have never had so little time to prep.

Today I am grateful for
    Sunday breakfast of bacon and mushroom sarnies
    That my conversation with mr wii only showed a one lb increase
    Contact from dd
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • gallygirl
    • By gallygirl 16th Sep 18, 3:19 PM
    • 16,657 Posts
    • 109,953 Thanks
    gallygirl
    but what else would you call someone who sits in the hairdresser than discovers that they don't have a purse?
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    A: "Busy"
    B: "Normal"

C: "Momentarily distracted" .

Look after yourself INOD. Yes, I know you 'don't have the time' - but if your client asked you for an extra hour a day would you find it? Exactly .
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    Mortgage Balance = £0
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Sep 18, 7:52 PM
    • 1,985 Posts
    • 9,627 Thanks
    milann
    Sorry you have been feeling weepy and down - hope you get back on track soon.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 18, 8:06 PM
    • 57,965 Posts
    • 238,462 Thanks
    beanielou
    Keep plodding

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 16th Sep 18, 8:16 PM
    • 2,003 Posts
    • 12,406 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Head down and batter on - but not a muppet, just distracted and busy. I'd do the same at the moment.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 16th Sep 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 13,844 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    You're definitely NOT a muppet! It's amazing how much you get done work wise in often very difficult circumstances so a little light headedness is bound to happen occasionally. I hope you're feeling a lot brighter tonight.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 07/11/2018 - £1771.05
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 30
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • Buffythedebtslayer
    • By Buffythedebtslayer 16th Sep 18, 8:37 PM
    • 15,336 Posts
    • 51,357 Thanks
    Buffythedebtslayer
    I hope you are in bed with a good book and a nice cup of tea.

Bloody work is a PAIN In the !!!!.

Take care of you XXX
    Frugal Living Challenge, Pound a Day challenge, Sealed Pot Challenge Debt 4990 (March)
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 57,965 Posts
    • 238,462 Thanks
    beanielou
    What Buffy says from me too

***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 16th Sep 18, 8:55 PM
    • 5,677 Posts
    • 39,958 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You're tired and stressed INOD, that's why you're weepy and forgetful. You have an awful lot on your plate. Can DH do more around the house? I think you'll feel much better when your association with the nightmare client ends.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £17
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Sep 18, 9:02 PM
    • 57,965 Posts
    • 238,462 Thanks
    beanielou
    Good point from HHD.
    When does the contract with those who we do not like finish?

***Keep plodding***
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Sep 18, 10:01 AM
    • 9,204 Posts
    • 29,287 Thanks
    jwil
    I hope you are feeling a bit brighter today xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 18th Sep 18, 8:21 AM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 31,589 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Thanks for all the lovely support. Client will continue to be a problem until Friday but I completed one of the other major tasks and have the other with my subcontractor for review. It needs uploaded by three tomorrow so I'm hoping to get it done tonight. It'll be a late one though as I'm at the nightmare this morning, another client this afternoon, pick up our foreign currency which is the wedding present, back for a management committee meeting this evening. Plus, their funder is insisting on coming in for an inspection tomorrow. This however has caused me to put my foot down. I'm not running about like a mad thing trying to get stuff sorted for them. The inspectors will find what they find. Maybe they will get through to the trustees where I haven't been able to.

On other news, I have been booked by a quite well and prompt paying client for a day in mid October. It clashes with my revised hospital appointment date but I'm gonna rearrange that as I need this client work. I have put too many eggs in the nightmare client basket.

As for DH helping with housework, he doesn't have much capacity as he's doing the cooking, laundry and single handedly taking forward another big piece of client work for me. He also arranged travel to airport, etc. we are supposed to be at the cinema tomorrow evening. I really can't spare the time but am kinda loath to say as he is making an effort.

On other matters, I need to get invoices issued. Nightmare client owes me money, I owe myself money for expenses that I need to hit my account before I go otherwise the start of next month dd's may not get paid.

Today I am grateful for
    Resolve and some focus on my business needs
    Lunch with a friend yesterday, it was good to take time out and catch up
    Avoiding the take away splurge so far. This generally happens in the run up to holidays
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th Sep 18, 3:45 PM
    • 57,965 Posts
    • 238,462 Thanks
    beanielou
    Get those invoices/expenses in

***Keep plodding***
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 18th Sep 18, 9:55 PM
    • 2,238 Posts
    • 13,844 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I'm glad to hear you put your foot down with the nightmare client.

Hope you're not too late tonight with work.
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 07/11/2018 - £1771.05
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 30
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 19th Sep 18, 8:28 AM
    • 5,333 Posts
    • 31,589 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Well, the take away happened last night. I spoke to DH on the drive between clients and he sounded dog tired. Persuaded him to finish early and go home for a nap. So, I got out of the client at 9 and grabbed his fav KFC. This was inhaled by me and I got the second big task finished and uploaded with confirmation arriving within minutes at 10.20.
    So, I got a cheque from the client yesterday evening which is a big plus. Unfortunately, my earlier invoice remains outstanding. I will chase that up today. Got decisions on 3 matters yesterday so there is some progress.
    I am also being hounded by another client for some stuff and I also need to follow up an invoice that I issued to them a while back.

Managed a very brief chat with dd. Not sure that she's settling as well as she expected. She gets home the weekend after our holiday to drop off the dog. She has already submitted a request for stew and a cinema visit.

Yesterday at 2.35, the inspection team confirmed that they will be at the client today at 9.30. Offices are available and after that it's over to them. This is a 24/7 facility and I invited them to engage with night shift but they declined. Clearly there are boxes that need ticked with the minimum disruption to them.

Cinema trip tonight has been cancelled. Expenses will be done and various other admin things.

Today I am grateful for
    Payment
    Access to fast food, a sometimes necessary evil when winding down supplies pre holiday
    Others being willing to pitch in
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 19th Sep 18, 8:35 AM
    • 3,518 Posts
    • 19,411 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    All sounding good and yay for the cheque

Stew and cinema sounds like a fantastic request. I might gift myself both soon.

Have a good day
    Emergency fund 1060/1000
    NSD November 5/30
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,381Posts Today

8,052Users online

Martin's Twitter