Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 5,194Posts
    • 30,369Thanks
    in need of direction
    A whole new world, for now
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    A whole new world, for now 20th Apr 17 at 3:59 PM
    So, hereís the new thread Iíve been promising myself for a few months. My old one, that served me so well, is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4855808

A potted history of me. Iím 49, live in NI with OH, DD and dog and DS is London based.
    Have been in debt for a lot of my life and came here post personal debt but with the aim to clear my mortgage. I believe DFD to be the right place for me as a lot of whatís outstanding on the mortgage related to consolidation of other debts. The rates were lower and I just didnít consider the payback period.
    Having been a wage slave for some 30 years, I recently jacked in my well paid and secure job for a number of reasons. While I love what I do, I hated the environment in which I did it. I regularly travelled 6 hours a day, on my own time and had to ask others to do likewise. That was the downside about caring for my clients. While I continued, and got others, to deliver at the expense of my home life, my health and my finances, the firm continued to let me. I decided that Iíd sooner have some self respect than stay there. We also had an unexpected and untimely family bereavement last year which sparked the whole ďlifeís too shortĒ train of thought. The downside is this is the first time since I was 17 that I donít have an income and itís a big adjustment.
    To address this, Iíve decided to go the self employed route, for now (hence the title). One problem though is timing. We have booked a holiday in May for OHís big birthday and Iíve decided that is set in stone. We will be travelling half way round the world for two weeks to initially see pandas and then the delights of Tokyo. Weíve only been together just over 10 years so this is really our first landmark birthday to be properly celebrated, we were still bedding in last big date.
    So, work wise, Iíve created my website, taken out a separate mobile contract and opened a business bank account. Iíve also registered with HMRC to keep things tidy.
    Otherwise, since being unemployed, Iíve had a parking ticket refunded, gained a free overnight stay following a complaint to a hotel that disappointed and have signed up for a new loyalty card for my local Co-Op. I also switched to a cheaper mobile service and got my boiler serviced which restored the hot water! First world pleasure that is so easy to overlook. I've donated two bikes to a local charity, done a number of strolls to offload donations to charity shop, claimed topcashback, £20 from PA, £5 swagbucks voucher and am trying to declutter. My last car went with the job so I realised what a paucity of local shops there in despite being only 15 mins by bus from the city centre.
    The lack of car was proving to be an issue for family and other reasons so today we get a PCH car delivered that we have committed to for 4 years. This takes us into the realm of needing to use the mortgage off set savings to fund expenses. It also gives me a minimum level of income to achieve as eating into savings bothers me.
    So, whatís the plan?
    I lodged £2000 in my business bank account at the start of March and most of it is still there. By September, Iíd like to have this repaid to either the savings or the mortgage or to have secured an income stream that will enable that to happen shortly thereafter. Iíd also like a £1k buffer in the business account to make sure that I can take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
    I have applied for a few part time consultancy type posts, been unsuccessful at interview for the first, but will actively seek out these opportunities. Iíve provided associates with my contact details but come June, I will start more actively promoting myself. Iíve sought input from my LA business support services but to little avail so far. Iíve attended a few courses and networking events and will continue with these to keep some kind of a profile and, post holiday, will be creating an event that will hopefully income generate and/or build profile.
    I will continue to seek out vouchers and deals and will try to live cheaply but donít feel I can ask this of the others in the house as giving up the job was down to me. I will also get rid of extraneous items, for cash where possible.
    What I can see is that despite living semi frugally, or so I believed, we wasted A LOT!
    Today my outstanding mortgage is £83,478.58. By 31 Dec, based on just making standard payments, this will be £78,900. My target is for this to be £75,000.
    Today my available off set pot is £3,415.43. By 31 Dec, Iíd like this to be at £5,500.
    The truth is Iíd like the first figure to be a lot lower and the second to be a lot higher but I need to start somewhere.
    We still have our emergency fund intact and hopefully enough in the current account to address our living expenses shortfall at least to the year end. Spends for the holiday are ringfenced with any left overs going on extras for all.
    I have to confess to having what Iíve heard described as an internal Verucca Salt! When I want it, I want it now. I need to learn some restraint both in terms of shopping and also sugar consumption. Itís weird but one thing |I really struggle with is what to have for lunch.
    Anyhow, now that the car is here, Iím off to the dry cleaners and to pick up some groceries as I have a £5 voucher off a £25 shop. I may also buy a new toilet brush!
    Today I am grateful for
    The support I have consistently received from here

Company from the dog

E Mail
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £74,745.76, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £297.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Emergency fund £860/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Page 47
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 56,147 Posts
    • 226,944 Thanks
    beanielou
    We'll, we saw iron maiden and it was better than expected for me and as good as DH hoped. We did appear to be seated in the small bladder section as there were constant comings and goings from attendees. This may be a reflection of the age profile of the fans!

I worked all day Thursday on my submission, got paperwork witnessed Thursday evening and got it scanned, uploaded and confirmation received at 8.34 yesterday morning. I then went to the nightmare client and wasted a number of hours. The manager left at lunchtime as he felt he'd done his hours for the week.
    They are being investigated by the regulator but still thinks he can finish early every day. I escaped when he was leaving and went and bought lunch and a take away coffee that was more an essential than a treat. I spent more than I should have and then felt guilty as it was the second time in a week that lunch was purchased. I am worried about the interest rate rise but am so grateful that our mortgage is our only borrowing.

I contacted my friend yesterday and have pushed lunch back to possibly next week. Obv didn't give the real reason but today I am tackling the bedroom and things are being cleaned. Another friend advises that if you do the non public rooms in your house first, there's a better chance of getting it all done as you're less likely to leave the on view rooms a mess.

Today I am grateful for
    Having submitted my proposal, it's the first time using this method and I did it!
    A chat with a friend
    That Monday is aback holiday in the south so I can play catch up with work for clients based there
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 6th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 30,369 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I could have sworn I posted yesterday. We gave ourselves a bit of a lazy weekend. I should have done more but didn't. We pretty much ate from stores and DH made a meal plan from the freezer for the rest of this week.

I am absolutely dreading tomorrow as I have been summoned under oath to appear in front of the nightmare client's regulator. I am unable to focus properly on anything and my ibs has flared up. My sleep is also disturbed.
    Today however I will sort out my last month's expenses as my credit card bill needs paid and unfortunately last week's PA payout won't cover it.

The clear out is staggering along at a not very fast rate. We did tackle the post pile yesterday by feeding the shredder and the recycling. I also got around to reading a 2017 mag, extracted 3 pages and this also went to be recycled. Some small spaces have appeared but the house is still cluttered. Yesterday we threw out an incredibly old discoloured sheet. I have a constant struggle between just wanting things gone and wanting to recycle, rehome, generate funds, etc. I also can't be the only one who feels guilty about using plastics, etc. and then seethes when news comes out that most of what we send for recycling isn't suitable but government isn't tackling this with producers. Somedays I just get fed up being made to feel inadequate by those who could do something but don't.
    Anyhow, the rant needs to end as there's lots to be done.
    Today I am grateful for
    Access to the drugs that will help my tummy. It's easy to whinge about the NHS while forgetting the bits we can take for granted
    Contact from dd
    Tasty food in the freezer
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £74,745.76, target £65,000 by 31/12/18 Offset fund today £297.27 target £5,500 by 31/12/18
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 6th Aug 18, 9:18 AM
    • 3,894 Posts
    • 11,199 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Hope you get on okay today and you feel better once its over and done with.

I would get very stressed about stuff like that too so you are not alone in that.

Dxxx
    CWP Goal Weight 25lbs/91lbs
    Debt Free Wannabe £3,269.39/£6,649.97
    3-6 Month EF, £140/£7,000
    5th August 2018 - I have 2 Nationwide Referrals available, PM me if you want £100 to switch accounts
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 6th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 56,147 Posts
    • 226,944 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all goes as well as it can today xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 6th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 2,379 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Regarding tomorrow, all you can do is tell the truth as you know it. I'm sure if figures etc are involved that you are already on top of that.... sending positive thoughts your way and hoping that the ibs settles down quickly. X
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 6th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 17,179 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Not surprised you have IBS with all that is going on. Wishing you a calm and positive day.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 10,347 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Popping in very hastily as I need to get to work... lots of good wishes for tomorrow.
    My priority list for guest-wise cleaning is different, possibly because I never get some areas clean. Bathroom, kitchen and lounge are my priorities in the hope that the guests will think I'm at least clean and that I totally hadn't expected anyone to borrow the bathroom, and therefore they are getting an insight into my ordinary life when they see it gleaming
    MFW #30 Paid off £2,481.24/£3770 as of 4/8/18
    • jwil
    • By jwil 7th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Good luck today xx
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 7th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 4,608 Posts
    • 13,838 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Hope it went well.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 8th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 30,369 Thanks
    in need of direction
    you could not make it up. manager suffered a family bereavement and ive been in covering all week! yesterday went better than expected but im struggling to keep on top of other client work. im tired
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Aug 18, 10:00 PM
    • 56,147 Posts
    • 226,944 Thanks
    beanielou
    you could not make it up. manager suffered a family bereavement and ive been in covering all week! yesterday went better than expected but im struggling to keep on top of other client work. im tired
    Originally posted by in need of direction
    You could just not make it up.
    Like a black commedy.
    No wonder you are tired.
    Take care xx

***Keep plodding***
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Aug 18, 11:21 PM
    • 1,913 Posts
    • 10,347 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hope you can get some sleep.
    MFW #30 Paid off £2,481.24/£3770 as of 4/8/18
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 9th Aug 18, 8:04 AM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 30,369 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Slept like the dead last night. Could do it all over again if I had time. There's so so much to do on so many fronts and panic is kicking in as time motors on. On the really plus side, the Irish revenue commissioners were exceptionally helpful and processed my tax clearance cert so efficiently and it came through yesterday. I also got my business insurance renewal through and it's ok and the course provider for the qualification I need is now willing to move a little on price!
    However, I need to get invoices etc issued to bring in some pennies.
    The bad news is that within a week of having made my hospital appointment, they have already deferred it by three weeks. I'm incredibly frustrated. My gp won't engage on diabetic related matters as I'm under hospital care and I was supposed to be reviewed in April and it's now moved to October.
    On Mse news, nothing much is happening. I made a small tt this week but otherwise it's just a case of bills getting paid.
    Today I am grateful for
    Sleep, it makes everything so much better
    The prospect of the weekend
    Feeling valued
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 9th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    • 3,229 Posts
    • 17,179 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Sounds frantic. Maybe prioritise processing the invoices. Sorry your diabetic appointment has been deferred. Glad you slept well that will help. Have a good day.
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Aug 18, 3:08 PM
    • 56,147 Posts
    • 226,944 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sounds frantic. Maybe prioritise processing the invoices. Sorry your diabetic appointment has been deferred. Glad you slept well that will help. Have a good day.
    Originally posted by doingitanyway
    This.
    From me too.

***Keep plodding***
    • milann
    • By milann 9th Aug 18, 9:35 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 8,584 Thanks
    milann
    Life is sounding busy - hurray for a good nights sleep.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 10th Aug 18, 2:53 PM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope you have a restful weekend x
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 12th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 30,369 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Yesterday DH went on a photographic walking tour that I had bought for him. It bothers me that he has no social circle outside of mine but I felt like I was sending him to his first day at school. Called into the bakery after I dropped him off and scored a massive bag of one day old bread for £1.40. It's mainly stuff to be toasted like soda, wheaten, potato bread, pancakes, etc. so it's fine at a day old. I also picked up tiny pies for my mum and stopped off to grab her some groceries before I called in.
    It was a long visit as I couldn't get her to stop talking. She must have been desperate for company as she even turned the sound off on the tv, she has been known to turn it up when she hears someone walk up the hall. Her health isn't great but she's refusing to engage with the NHS. I think she's afraid of what they might tell her or that they may try to put her in a home. Her mind is sharp as is her tongue. I managed not to respond when she was telling me about how much my stay at home sister has on. My mum pays her to clean a half day a week but otherwise she has no working commitments and an empty nest with just herself and her husband! She also asked me if I was planning on having any work done to my house. I told her I couldn't afford it but have been wondering since what she feels needs done.

This afternoon I have meetings with the nightmare client but want to go in early as it's a staff member's last day. He created so much work for me but I will miss him. He just wanted to make the place better. I also need to grab some supplies for the coming week so will need a trip to the shops. I had my weekly conversation with mr wii and there was a slight incline but no extra poundage which is good.

On other news, dd called to advise that she has sorted out dog friendly accommodation from the start of September so we will be losing our dog. I'm devastated and also think the dog is too old to be uprooted like this and am not sure how she will cope with the lengthy road journey and boat trip needed to get back here. Still, it is what it is.

Today I am grateful for
    Bacon and mushroom bags with a mug of tea for breakfast
    Some forgiving clothes that still fit
    Recognising that some cleaning is better than no cleaning
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 13th Aug 18, 8:36 AM
    • 5,194 Posts
    • 30,369 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Another week, another backlog to tackle. Today I am going to nightmare client to hand over to manager re what I did in his absence. He won't be happy but hey, I did what I could. That's what I find so frustrating. He's inept but highly critical and negative if anyone tries to move things forward.
    I can only do a short time as a friend has offered me a free massage treatment at 11.30 as she had a client cancel on her. I used to go once a month but stopped when funds dried up.

Yesterday I had a voucher for the local co op that was due to expire so stopped there on way home. I used 2 vouchers for 75p off the milk and salad that I would have been buying. Got whoopsied potato bread, 4 pack for 30p plus 2 whoopsied ready meals that we had for last night's dinner. Total outlay 3.02 with 19p going to my card. I'm now sitting at over a £5 so will make use of this on a freezer deal when we have cleared more freezer room. I'd previously had to buy a bottle of pink gin as a gift so no NSd for me anyway. Really need to get a wiggle on.

Today I am grateful for
    Toasted reduced fruit soda for breakfast
    A free treat to look forward to
    Getting one thing out of my in tray and into someone else's.
    Weight 8 July 14st 4lb
    Progress not perfection.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 8,789 Posts
    • 27,474 Thanks
    jwil
    Sorry to hear about the dog

I think you are doing the right thing encouraging Mr INOD to be out and about meeting new people.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

119Posts Today

1,508Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin