Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    • 6,236Posts
    • 39,191Thanks
    in need of direction
    A whole new world, for now
    • 20th Apr 17, 3:59 PM
    A whole new world, for now 20th Apr 17 at 3:59 PM
    So, hereís the new thread Iíve been promising myself for a few months. My old one, that served me so well, is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4855808

A potted history of me. Iím 49, live in NI with OH, DD and dog and DS is London based.
    Have been in debt for a lot of my life and came here post personal debt but with the aim to clear my mortgage. I believe DFD to be the right place for me as a lot of whatís outstanding on the mortgage related to consolidation of other debts. The rates were lower and I just didnít consider the payback period.
    Having been a wage slave for some 30 years, I recently jacked in my well paid and secure job for a number of reasons. While I love what I do, I hated the environment in which I did it. I regularly travelled 6 hours a day, on my own time and had to ask others to do likewise. That was the downside about caring for my clients. While I continued, and got others, to deliver at the expense of my home life, my health and my finances, the firm continued to let me. I decided that Iíd sooner have some self respect than stay there. We also had an unexpected and untimely family bereavement last year which sparked the whole ďlifeís too shortĒ train of thought. The downside is this is the first time since I was 17 that I donít have an income and itís a big adjustment.
    To address this, Iíve decided to go the self employed route, for now (hence the title). One problem though is timing. We have booked a holiday in May for OHís big birthday and Iíve decided that is set in stone. We will be travelling half way round the world for two weeks to initially see pandas and then the delights of Tokyo. Weíve only been together just over 10 years so this is really our first landmark birthday to be properly celebrated, we were still bedding in last big date.
    So, work wise, Iíve created my website, taken out a separate mobile contract and opened a business bank account. Iíve also registered with HMRC to keep things tidy.
    Otherwise, since being unemployed, Iíve had a parking ticket refunded, gained a free overnight stay following a complaint to a hotel that disappointed and have signed up for a new loyalty card for my local Co-Op. I also switched to a cheaper mobile service and got my boiler serviced which restored the hot water! First world pleasure that is so easy to overlook. I've donated two bikes to a local charity, done a number of strolls to offload donations to charity shop, claimed topcashback, £20 from PA, £5 swagbucks voucher and am trying to declutter. My last car went with the job so I realised what a paucity of local shops there in despite being only 15 mins by bus from the city centre.
    The lack of car was proving to be an issue for family and other reasons so today we get a PCH car delivered that we have committed to for 4 years. This takes us into the realm of needing to use the mortgage off set savings to fund expenses. It also gives me a minimum level of income to achieve as eating into savings bothers me.
    So, whatís the plan?
    I lodged £2000 in my business bank account at the start of March and most of it is still there. By September, Iíd like to have this repaid to either the savings or the mortgage or to have secured an income stream that will enable that to happen shortly thereafter. Iíd also like a £1k buffer in the business account to make sure that I can take advantage of opportunities as they arise.
    I have applied for a few part time consultancy type posts, been unsuccessful at interview for the first, but will actively seek out these opportunities. Iíve provided associates with my contact details but come June, I will start more actively promoting myself. Iíve sought input from my LA business support services but to little avail so far. Iíve attended a few courses and networking events and will continue with these to keep some kind of a profile and, post holiday, will be creating an event that will hopefully income generate and/or build profile.
    I will continue to seek out vouchers and deals and will try to live cheaply but donít feel I can ask this of the others in the house as giving up the job was down to me. I will also get rid of extraneous items, for cash where possible.
    What I can see is that despite living semi frugally, or so I believed, we wasted A LOT!
    Today my outstanding mortgage is £83,478.58. By 31 Dec, based on just making standard payments, this will be £78,900. My target is for this to be £75,000.
    Today my available off set pot is £3,415.43. By 31 Dec, Iíd like this to be at £5,500.
    The truth is Iíd like the first figure to be a lot lower and the second to be a lot higher but I need to start somewhere.
    We still have our emergency fund intact and hopefully enough in the current account to address our living expenses shortfall at least to the year end. Spends for the holiday are ringfenced with any left overs going on extras for all.
    I have to confess to having what Iíve heard described as an internal Verucca Salt! When I want it, I want it now. I need to learn some restraint both in terms of shopping and also sugar consumption. Itís weird but one thing |I really struggle with is what to have for lunch.
    Anyhow, now that the car is here, Iím off to the dry cleaners and to pick up some groceries as I have a £5 voucher off a £25 shop. I may also buy a new toilet brush!
    Today I am grateful for
    The support I have consistently received from here

Company from the dog

E Mail
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £64761.98 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £946.16 target £1000 by 31/12/19
    Emergency fund £4266/5.5k & £200/200 cash.
    Weight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 13st 5lb
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
Page 115
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Jan 20, 2:57 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 23,087 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Work does sound difficult: not just the delicate situation but the extra hours, then the funeral today. Your professionalism shines through. I saw a definition of 'professional' as either someone who does the right thing when no one is looking, or words to that effect. I hope today is easier.

Well done on the baby steps, by the way.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018
    Overpaid by £3,259.33/2,880.00 to 29/11/19
    Decluttered in 2019: 2,041/2,019 as of 21/10/19
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 20, 4:09 PM
    • 68,504 Posts
    • 313,030 Thanks
    beanielou
    Baby steps are always good.
    Keep plodding xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14. MFW. 14 months to mortgage freedom.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 11 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • milann
    • By milann 14th Jan 20, 10:13 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 20,772 Thanks
    milann
    Hope the funeral went as well as it could.
    Canít get over staff walking out and leaving work short staffed.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 15th Jan 20, 9:05 AM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 39,191 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Thank you all. The worst thing is that when they walked off shift it was part of a row over shift numbers needing to reduce.

Yesterday was hectic though with a bit of positive feedback about a talk I’d arranged particularly from people who did not want to be there. One hissy fit was had that showed the staff member in a poor light. Early finish to get dh to a doctor appointment re his dodgey holiday hip and I only used the laptop to check if payments had been received.

Went to bed around half nine then dd called after ten. Cue another disturbed night. Tonight I am having eyebrows and a file and polish done. I am aiming for one such thing every fortnight and this is the first of the year and coincides with an important meeting tomorrow. This should be a confidence boost. Right, gotta get going but it’s cold out there.

Today I am grateful for
    Positive feedback
    Managing to get dh to his appointment on time even though he was kept waiting an hour to be seen
    A sounding board
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £64761.98 target £65,000 by 05/04/19 Offset fund today £946.16 target £1000 by 31/12/19
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 20, 3:47 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,191 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Eyebrows, file and polish will give you a lift. Small treatments but they give a high return.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 16th Jan 20, 8:22 AM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 39,191 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Can I have oodles of positivity flowing my way please around half ten. Am a bit of a nervous wreck for this meeting that most of the trustees aren’t bothered enough to attend. I need to get a wiggle on to make sure all my ducks are in a row and that I am completely prepared.

Today I am grateful for
    Free nail and eyebrow treatment
    Bakery bargains
    Fitting in a visit to my mum
    Progress not perfection.
    • Dolly Rocker
    • By Dolly Rocker 16th Jan 20, 10:23 AM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 14,449 Thanks
    Dolly Rocker
    Best of luck and a ton of positivity coming your way not that you need it!!

Dxxx
    DF 2018 £12,754.09 - PIF 30.11.18
    My Home Fund £3,000.00
    Goal Weight by December 2020 0lbs/91lbs
    I have 4 Nationwide Referrals left, PM me for £100 to switch accounts, link in 1-2 working days
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 16th Jan 20, 11:17 AM
    • 7,783 Posts
    • 30,348 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hope that the important meeting went well x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    BC: £4000.00 Lloyds: £7850.00 OD £2000 MBNA: GONE
    Jan LTW 17/22 ~ Jan NSD 2/10
    PAYDBX 2020 #041 PD £296.03/£8000
    Xmas Pot £52.85/£500 ~ EF £280/£500
    20p Savers 2020 £2 Savers 2020 50p Savers 2020 SPC 13 2020 #003
    • milann
    • By milann 16th Jan 20, 6:31 PM
    • 3,283 Posts
    • 20,772 Thanks
    milann
    Hope the meeting was a good one and that your nails and eyebrows helped you feel confident.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 16th Jan 20, 6:43 PM
    • 68,504 Posts
    • 313,030 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all went well xx

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Keep plodding***
    • jwil
    • By jwil 17th Jan 20, 8:04 AM
    • 11,530 Posts
    • 42,958 Thanks
    jwil
    Hope everything went well x
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Jan 20, 8:35 AM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 39,191 Thanks
    in need of direction
    I have no idea how the meeting went. They sat, told us stuff we know then pointed out they were on the clock. I bit my tongue. This is a public body notorious for breaking rules taking the e must safeguard resources moral high ground. No one present from the charity has more than 2 years involvement whereas they sat back for 15 years and watched it fail and now are judgemental. If ever I needed a reminder of why I left public sector security, that was it.

To cap it off, I then fell on my way back to the client in a busy street at lunchtime. Am now stiff and sore but jumped up at the time more worried if anyone had seen me.

Got back to find someone else has submitted a 4 week med cert and two contractors turned up half an hour early for a meeting. tbh, I’m not sure I can keep going. Me and the monster had an early night until dh sent her to her real bed.

Right, today’s another day and I need to get motoring.

Today I am grateful for
    A staff member going the extra mile
    Client matters being outside of my gift therefore not currently requiring attention
    Only a little stiffness from a fall in a busy road
    Progress not perfection.
    • misstara
    • By misstara 17th Jan 20, 4:14 PM
    • 3,371 Posts
    • 24,477 Thanks
    misstara
    to your fall but glad there's no injuries. Sorry to hear work is not great at the moment.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £0
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £470.32 (41% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 27/60
    Emergency fund - £30/£1000. Car fund - £150/£1000.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 17th Jan 20, 6:33 PM
    • 68,504 Posts
    • 313,030 Thanks
    beanielou
    I think for the sake of your mental health & wellbeing it is time for you to look at other options.

***Keep plodding***
    • jwil
    • By jwil 18th Jan 20, 8:50 AM
    • 11,530 Posts
    • 42,958 Thanks
    jwil
    I think for the sake of your mental health & wellbeing it is time for you to look at other options.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I agree with beanie - you are doing a fab job but it does sound like you are battling against the tide constantly. It must be exhausting for you.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jan 20, 9:51 AM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 23,087 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I hope you're okay after your fall. How busy is your weekend?
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 18th Jan 20, 10:27 AM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 39,191 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Thanks for the concern. I’m just a bit achy rather than any major damage.
    I know I need to get out of there but the changes are happening and I’d like to see them through. I also want to finish off the project that completes on 31 March. The worry is that I will than panic about income next business year that starts in April.

It’s a busy weekend. Grant audit is scheduled for ten on Monday and prep is needed. I’m also picking some stuff up from a shop today and am doing a shift from around 4 to about 10 today. There is no one else due to sick absences.
    I really need to get last year’s accounts done and my tax return prepped. I’m toying with the idea of keeping my premium bonds and paying my tax bill from current year income. Dh and I still haven’t clarified what our finance targets are for the upcoming year and that is absolutely needed as otherwise we drift.

Yesterday I finished up early and came home to unleash the furry one. I spent an hour or so with her before we headed to a 45 minute snow patrol gig in a small venue followed by dinner. The band were great and seemed to enjoy a home crowd in a venue they were lucky to play 20 years ago. Dinner was good though pricey for two courses with no alcohol.

While home with the four legged fiend, I managed to identify a magazine that has now gone for recycling. One more item leaving the house. I will update my list and post the scores on the doors here tomorrow.

Right, I need to get a wiggle on. Today I am grateful for
    A really good concert followed by a nice meal
    Managing an early escape so I wasn’t worrying about the dog
    A catch up with ds.
    Progress not perfection.
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 18th Jan 20, 12:21 PM
    • 5,052 Posts
    • 32,191 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hope you are okay after your fall. These things can leave us a bit shaky psychologically so take care.
    Pleased to read about the meal and concert
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Jan 20, 9:03 PM
    • 3,577 Posts
    • 23,087 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Good to hear you aren't too damaged. These things shake us up.

The concert and meal out sound like a well-deserved treat, glad you got to go.

If you are possibly hanging on to your Premium Bonds, could they be put towards a safety net to allow you to take a break from the client come March? That would enable you to see your current project through this financial year and give you a bit of leeway to find alternative income. It might even be that new clients would approach you once word got out that you had left one that ties up a lot of your time. and energy.
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 19th Jan 20, 11:21 AM
    • 6,236 Posts
    • 39,191 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Cherry I hear what you are saying and don’t disagree but if we don’t cash in the premium bonds now,they’ll be going towards next year’s tax bill as I’m heart scared of ever messing things up there.

I did the full shift yesterday. It was not quiet as we had to call an ambulance for one of the service users around twenty past nine which meant it was ten before things got sorted and then the paperwork had to be sorted. We were so lucky that the volunteer who was on was highly competent and very measured. It meant I got home just after 11.

Before going in, we picked up dog meds from the vet and have arranged a prescription that will allow for cheaper on line ordering of meds. We also did a charity shop drop and came home and kicked myself for finding we had overlooked one or two items. I sorted through the shopping bags that live in the car and found one that does not spark joy. This will be hung on a hook on the kitchen door and used as a charity shop bag.

I went to Iceland to take advantage of 10% off a £20 minimum spend. I ended up spending over £30 post discount as they had some good reductions including big jars of the poisonous marmite for £2 for dh and cut price tetleys for me plus some staples eg milk.

Today I will be working from home as I’ve lots to do and a busy week ahead. It’s also too cold to want to venture anywhere.

Today I am grateful for
    Having new slippers which I received for Christmas. I love how new slippers feel on bare feet.
    Hearing this morning that the service user is ok
    Being welcomed home by a barky tail wagging dog after a late shift.
    Progress not perfection.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,613Posts Today

8,469Users online

Martin's Twitter