Dual sim phone, more complicated than I thought, anyone help?

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,570 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Most dual SIM handsets are 'dual standby', where calls and texts can be received on either SIM regardless of which one is selected for data.

However the SIM which is not being used for data connection will operate only on 2G - The only exception (reportedly) being the Moto G4, which somehow gives 3G/4G connectivity for both SIMs at the same time.

The OP's problem with using a Three SIM as the non-data SIM in a dual SIM Moto G5 indicates that the unique characteristic of the G4 has not been carried over to the G5, which is a pity.

In Singapore all 2G networks have already been discontinued since February, which means that a dual SIM phone can now only operate on one SIM at a time. However, I read somewhere that in UK the 3G networks are due to be switched off before 2G.

Convenience for travelers and other dual SIM users will be lost if countries phase out their 2G networks, and handsets with the Moto G4's particular dual SIM capability are no longer available.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • The Moto G5 user guide can be downloaded here:
    http://www.gsmarc.com/motorola/moto-g5/manual/

It mentions dual SIM, or rather how to insert 2 SIMs, but no info on their use... unless I missed something.
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I don't know the G4/G5, but I do have a dual sim Samsung Galaxy S7.

It's a singapore model (dual sim not available in UK), that I "flashed UK rom" onto (for those who understand what I mean - this doesn't 'Trip Knox').

With this setup, I could choose (and change at will), the primary outgoing phone, outgoing text, and outgoing data. Sim 1 can handle 2G/3G/4G, and Sim2 can handle 2G/3G. I had my company sim (vodafone) in Sim 1, and my private (O2) in Sim 2. Only issue I encountered was that switching the data between them upset my companies' BYOD software (Mobile iron) policies which meant it'd block my phone from receiving company email until they reset something on the server.

Peter.
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    I have a Moto G5 dual SIM, SIM 1 is 2G, 3G or 4G, SIM 2 is 2G only.
  • easy
    easy Posts: 2,516 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all your interesting comments.
    Can anyone actually answer the question I posed ?
    do you know if any of the networks still support 2g, and have wifi calling (is that even technically possible)? If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on the cake
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say. :)
  • eDicky
    easy wrote: »
    Thanks for all your interesting comments.
    Can anyone actually answer the question I posed ?
    Your first reply answered the first part. All main networks and MVNOs work on 2G, except Three (and presumably any MVNO that uses Three). As for WiFi calling I'm not sure, but all main networks probably provide it in some form. All provide PAYG.

You may find a network that works ok in your house, by ordering free PAYG SIMs from each one and trying them in your phone for 2G reception.
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If they also have PAYG which doesn't expire that would be icing on the cake

Most of them require you to top up a minimum amount every 6 months to keep number live
  • eDicky
    nyermen wrote: »
    I do have a dual sim Samsung Galaxy S7... It's a singapore model ... Sim 1 can handle 2G/3G/4G, and Sim2 can handle 2G/3G.
    That's interesting, perhaps all or most dual SIM phones now available in Singapore have this capability, as a necessity. I am going to check...
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Most dual sim phones used to only support 3G/4G on one sim, and 2G on the other. The three sim won't work on 2G.

Moto G4 was the first I found that could support 3G on both sims at same time.

Perhaps Moto G5 has reverted to cheaper hardware which doesn't support dual 3g.

Your supposition is right, the G5 has had cost cutting and uses older dual sim hardware that only allows 2G on sim2.
    ====
  • devizes18193
    devizes18193 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a wiley fox swift witch runs plusnet and three for data on sim 2 wich works fine on 3g/4g
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure