Hotel\hostel doesnt care about thieves

In my first case i thought it was some isolated case but it seems that most of the hotels/hostels in London dont care about thieves, especially the smalls ones. Where can i complain about it & if i can get some refund.

Thank you

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I think you need to tell us a bit more if you expect to get an answer. Having said that, theft is a police matter, call 101 to report it (but don't expect them to give you a refund).
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,039
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    That depends...

The general advice is to NEVER leave anything of value in a hotel room unless it is locked in a safe.

If something was stolen from a locked safe, then either claim on your house insurance, or contact the police.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Depends who had the responsibility of care for the item; read the Ts and Cs of your contract with the hostel.

If you were responsible for the care of your items then you'll need to make a claim against the person who stole your item(s), and not the hostel.

If the hostel were responsible for the care of your items then you can take the hostel to Small Claims Court (or do what pinkshoes said)

They will not care one bit about stealing if they are not legally obliged to do so.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,288
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    last holiday I was on someone was complaining about thefts from room , turns out they had tried to save the 30 euro deposit on the room safe by not bothering and leaving all their stuff laying round the room.

I know technically people shouldn't be able to get in your room BUT its your own fault if theres a safe available in the room or reception
    I'm a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Shopping and Freebies, Phones and TV and Over 50s boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing . All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Hostels don't have a security guards sitting over your bed 24/7, of course they care about thieves but there is nothing they can do about them.

The only person responsible for your belongings is you. You can't leave them lying about it's just to risky in a hostel which is no where near as secure as a hotel. Hotels aren't perfect but there are also thieves about but again leaving items unsecured in a room is the risk you take.

Safes are available in every hotel I have ever stayed in and I also believe that hostels have safes available you can rent.
  • Hello,
    It usually happens in the common areas, like lounge/tv room, interior locked garden, etc, where there is CCTV. I call the police when the value exceeds 10£ but in most cases it's under this value.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Enervant wrote: »
    Hello,
    It usually happens in the common areas, like lounge/tv room, interior locked garden, etc, where there is CCTV. I call the police when the value exceeds 10£ but in most cases it's under this value.
    That's even worse, you're now admitting you leave your stuff lying about in common areas. You really do make it easy for them.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Unless you can prove that the hotel was negligent, the hotel is not liable.
  • Hermia
    Hermia Posts: 4,473
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Browntoa wrote: »
    last holiday I was on someone was complaining about thefts from room , turns out they had tried to save the 30 euro deposit on the room safe by not bothering and leaving all their stuff laying round the room.

I had a student job in a hotel and remember people doing that. One thing to bear in mind is that when the maid cleans the room the door will be kept open so they can access their cart and also for safety reasons. When I used to clean the bathroom I obviously couldn't watch the room. No one ever pinched anything when I was doing that, but it would have been possible for someone to have nipped in and picked something up without me noticing. I think the hotels I have stayed in have all had notices up stating not to leave valuables in your room so I don't think they will be liable.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    That depends...

The general advice is to NEVER leave anything of value in a hotel room unless it is locked in a safe.

If something was stolen from a locked safe, then either claim on your house insurance, or contact the police.

A while back, I bought a small safe from a hardware store. It's just like the ones in many hotel rooms.

When you open the safe in a hotel room, it will contain a little leaflet telling you how to set your own combination.

But when I looked in my shiny new safe, I was rather surprised to see the leaflet telling me how to set both the combinations. There are two different combinations, which are set using different sequences of keypresses. I wonder who in the hotel knows the other combination for the safes in each room.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure