Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 19th Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    • 98Posts
    • 192Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Debt Free by December 2017
    • 19th Apr 17, 1:08 PM
    Debt Free by December 2017 19th Apr 17 at 1:08 PM
    I have been lurking on here for a while and decided to start my own debt free diary! We had to buy a new car last year and along with various other circumstances (broken boiler, sick cat, bathroom with tiles falling off and broken shower), we are currently repaying our debt.

The amount stands at 6750.02 and I would like this paid off by December 2017 as we will be saving for a wedding from January 2018 (it is taking all the willpower I have to not start buying wedding things!)

Have seen that lots of people on here are really supportive so would appreciate it as I work towards a DFD.

Current debt:
    4100 to parents - interest free
    2650.02 credit card - interest free
Page 3
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 9th Dec 18, 10:15 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Low spend day yesterday, 1.50 on parking at the local shopping centre to get some banking things done and other errands .

Spent 40 at the shops, but that included 10 on birthday gifts. 186 to get through to 26th Dec (the end of the "month") although have food for this week. Hoping for a NSD tomorrow.
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 12th Dec 18, 8:22 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Spendy day yesterday, effectively got 35 to last until 26th Dec, so going to try and stick to this as much as possible, but will need at least one lot of petrol which is 25.

Have some food in the freezer so going to try and do as many use up teas as possible. Need to reduce our food spending. Been a NSD today though, and had news of a payrise, so will money shuffle when I get paid on Friday.
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 28th Dec 18, 11:56 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Had a few low spend days, although feel like Christmas has taken me off track with budgeting slightly. Determined to fix this in January and hoping to re-negotiate TV/Internet package as well, hoping for a good deal. Will post an SOA once this is done and see if anyone can suggest places we can save money.

Also, pay council tax/water over 10 months so will get money for those in Feb/March, will put any of this money not spent on service/MOT for the car into the pot .

Heading into town shortly and hoping for wrapping paper bargains to be put away for next year .

Also need to do more essay writing and research as I'm on my dissertation (exciting)! However keep getting distracted by TV and chocolate
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 28th Dec 18, 4:09 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 3,645 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    Good luck with that dissertation I remember how much stamina I needed to fo mine

I save with nat west savers account but interest is going to be Measly wherever it goes but it was the best I could find at the time

I am not going Christmas clear out shopping yet, I do bake all my gift bags and all the family give them back for the next year fabric is expensive but I can do them throughout the year

Good luck with the spends this year

I started a diary the other day and have started a few of the challenges
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) 18 Pot 2 10
    total 22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    40/1000 plus some in my bank 138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 30th Dec 18, 5:14 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Thank you , easy going so far done about 3,500 words on Lit Review while I've been off for Christmas so next stage is methodology .

Have you tried Nationwide for saving? They do 5% on up to 2,500.

Thank you, last few days have been low/no spend which has been nice and food from stores for food tomorrow and Tuesday so two more NSD's hopefully .
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 2nd Jan 19, 9:47 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    18.12 spend at the supermarket today , not bad but still spending money .

318 left in the household budget - includes food, fuel and toiletries - until the 26th so having lots of use up teas and food from stores.

Trying ynab again, didn't like how it did the credit card last time (I use one for household and then pay off in full), but just showing one of the accounts as "overdrawn" which works better for me and will just be reset to zero each month when paid off.

Onwards ��
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 3rd Jan 19, 9:29 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    5.67 spent at the shops today for a few bits I forgot yesterday. Updated ynab and just over 300 left for the month which should be do-able if we behave with takeaways.

Got a few bits on eBay that I'm hoping will sell too, and did some Uni work today.

Fairly steady day all in .
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 5th Jan 19, 12:45 AM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Tried for another NSD but spent 1 on something I had forgotten for tea, I'm blaming Christmas brain .

Two more days off and back to work on Monday, both excited and would prefer to continue doing not very much
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 13th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    150 left for the rest of the month for food/petrol/household things (although I have enough bath bombs to last me until Christmas 2019 ).

Still unsure what to do about TV packages, merger seems not to be happening until June, but worried I will sign up for 12mths with new provider and then see some really good deals in June . Hoping threatening to cancel will help get me a temp good deal.

Booked honeymoon today, only 30 deposit from wedding pot, and family have offered to pay the rest . My payday tomorrow so looking forward to a YNAB money shuffle.

Having leftovers for tea and haven't left the house today so just spending on heating and household appliances .
    • Aaleigha
    • By Aaleigha 16th Jan 19, 8:41 PM
    • 567 Posts
    • 3,645 Thanks
    Aaleigha
    Mondays are usually our left over day I think most people have them

payday already in the month lucky you

I used YNAB but just couldnt get on with it now have a spread sheet to use and still use the old paper and pencil method before entering in

I love my not leaving the house day need to go out tomorrow to get to solicitors tomorrow which is near town am going to attempt to not spend money

hope you are having a few spendthrift days
    SEALED POT CHALLENGE # 100
    pot 1 (unknown starting amount) 18 Pot 2 10
    total 22.50
    EMERGENCY FUND
    40/1000 plus some in my bank 138 total 178/1000
    DECLUTTER. 183/2019
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 30th Jan 19, 9:43 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Haha, yeah I quite like cooking with leftovers, feels like much less effort ��. Quite liking YNAB so far, have got one year free as a student so will have to see how I get on with it . Hope the solicitors appointment was as you expected and not too expensive.

Decided to switch TV/Internet provider, pay less and for various offers which means not paying the new company until March. Also hopefully less spends on the bridesmaid dresses as so far 3 of 7 are the correct length (hoping for a fourth) so hopefully just that plus shoes now.

Saving coming slowly, reduced a few other things and trying to keep food spending under control , changing working hours in Feb so might help with keeping track of everything.

Most of the bills and the car servicing go out on Friday so will see where I'm at from there .

Hoping to get some studying done over the next few weeks too, busy, busy, busy!
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 31st Jan 19, 11:03 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Spent a little today, went into town and bought a shampoo bar so that was 8, but will last aaaaaages. Then work and catching up with a friend . Most of the bills will go out tomorrow so will be able to see where I am at after that.
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 10th Feb 19, 6:30 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    All the bills are paid, as expected, discount with switching to another internet/TV provider. More expensive than expected car service though (always something!). Bought a couple more wedding bits but doing my best to keep the food spend down, 30 earlier in the week for a meal out for a family birthday . Hoping for NSD’s this week, think the only necessary purchase at the moment is cereal. Will do as much as I can with the food we already have in. Will keep on plodding
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 20th Feb 19, 4:33 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Having another eating out of the freezer week and seen a couple of friends for lunches this week. Savings going well and plodding with the MA. Have split some of the wedding goals into smaller chunks so feels a bit more manageable . Hope everyone else on half term is having a good week.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

57Posts Today

1,876Users online

Martin's Twitter