PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Packing Service?

Options

Comments

• stinabean
    stinabean Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm trying to convince the OH that we have this done when we move, but our (rented) house is such a tip as we've not been here long so didn't unpack a lot of it properly, plus there's zero storage so everything is constantly "out" and it looks a state.

How do packers deal with this?
    Pushing through to Jan 2020 to start saving and debt busting!

£8k loan
    £0 savings
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    stinabean wrote: »
    ... tip as we've not been here long so didn't unpack a lot of it properly, plus there's zero storage so everything is constantly "out" and it looks a state.

How do packers deal with this?

They don't make the choices and judgement calls you do over what's what and what to do.... they just pack it. They're mechanical. Box, thing, wrap, secure, into the box ... repeat. All they see are "an assortment of objects to put into boxes" and so they're as fast with "clutter/junk/chaos" as with a neat row of books.

Item, wrap, into box; item, wrap, into box; item, wrap, into box. No thinking, just doing.

Relentless little robots....
  • stinabean
    stinabean Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    That's a relief!

Does anyone have any company recommendations?
    Pushing through to Jan 2020 to start saving and debt busting!

£8k loan
    £0 savings
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,960 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    stinabean wrote: »
    That's a relief!

Does anyone have any company recommendations?

Try facebook for local recommendations or failing that contact BAR for a list of firms in your area.

When we moved we found each egg had been taken from the fridge and wrapped in newspaper and arrived intact in our new home!

The best is when I asked what I could do to help and they suggested I go for a walk out of the way!

Generally they pack and leave you to unpack. So some removal of rubbish before you move may make unpacking easier.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,218 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for getting the packing done by the removal company. It is so much better to have everything packed in a few hours than weeks of chaos with half packed boxes around the house.

You are likely to find that breakages are only covered by their insurance if they do the packing - another good reason!
  • Grampus8
    Grampus8 Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Yep, Pack n Move service for us as well. We did this early March and were very impressed. Least stressful move ever!
  • Ezhilan
    Options
    Hi,
    Usually, movers will charge for that. They will charge for packing material and is depend on materials and number of helpers. Try to do the packing by your selves and buy the backing boxes from shops. But the charge here is very high. Just refer FMCSA for more details about the Movers rules.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I have never been charged extra for packing materials or number of helpers. You will be charged one fee (unless using man + a van sort of service).

Strange first post - and unnecessarily bumping an old post. The cynic in me thinks... hmmm, let's wait and see.
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • aneary
    aneary Posts: 921 Forumite
    Options
    Do they pack your clothes?

my last move filled up my entire car (medium/large with seats down) with just my wardrobe clothes my clothes in my drawers was another trip?
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    aneary wrote: »
    Do they pack your clothes?

my last move filled up my entire car (medium/large with seats down) with just my wardrobe clothes my clothes in my drawers was another trip?
    The clothes in drawers were left in the drawers last time I moved. The clothes hanging in the wardrobe were put into a special tall hanger box made for the job.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure