Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Mrs_Chelle
    • By Mrs_Chelle 18th Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Changing children's surnames by deed poll - for free?
    • #1
    • 18th Apr 17, 8:40 PM
    Changing children's surnames by deed poll - for free? 18th Apr 17 at 8:40 PM
    Hello all,

    I've recently separated from my children's father, and managed to get him to agree to me changing their surnames so that they have the same name as me

    However, I'm baffled by the options I have to do this - please can you shed some light?

    I initially downloaded all the forms from the government website - it will cost 36 each plus solicitor's fees and requires a witness, and I think it goes through court and gets printed in the London Gazette!? (why??)

    However, I've stumbled across a Guardian article advising which deed poll websites to avoid - and this article advises that we have a basic right to legally change our names for free(it's from 2013 however - and I can't include the link here as it thinks I'm a spammer).

    There are various sites that offer name changes, but I do want it to be above board and accepted by the passport office/banks etc.

    Please can you advise - if I can change their names for free, without having to involve solicitors, how do I go about this?

    Thank you
Page 1
    • busiscoming2
    • By busiscoming2 18th Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    • 4,332 Posts
    • 11,520 Thanks
    • #2
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    • #2
    • 18th Apr 17, 9:05 PM
    I don't know if things have changed but my dd changed her name some years ago. I found a template online and used that, the only other thing I had to have as she was under 18 was a letter of consent from her father.

    Once it had been done we sent it off with her passport to change her name there as I thought they would be the ones to refuse if anyone would! We encountered no problems so try it yourself first before shelling out any monies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

652Posts Today

6,151Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line?

  • RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

  • Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

  • Follow Martin