Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

the snap general election thread

Options

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    Says the chap who points out dead people would vote Tory.

I'm flattered you've wasted some of your oh so valuable time to respond.

Been on the sauce tonight have we?

Probably explains your inability to actually have an opinion on anything.
  • Moby
    Moby Posts: 3,916 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 3 June 2017 at 6:53AM
    Options
    the reality on nuclear is no one wants to press the button, and no leader should want to press it first.... period

anyone that can easily say yet i will press the button, really you dont want in power as they are saying yes no problem i will kill millions of people no problem.

its a touchy subject, but personally having corbyn come out with his honest approach of talk talk talk and dont let it get that far does work.

but the public as a whole wont think like that, and simply think oh he is weak and scared...cannot elect that.....

There is a difference here between age groups though. Young people are drawn to his principles on the nuclear issue. The older multilateralists already know what his position is. He has always held it. I support him anyway, despite my belief we should keep trident. Those that think he's weak because of it don't support him anyway. Its priced in so to speak already.
  • wotsthat
    wotsthat Posts: 11,325 Forumite
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    Been on the sauce tonight have we?

Probably explains your inability to actually have an opinion on anything.

I don't need a drink to enjoy the fun times on here.

The Tories U-turned within 5 minutes of issuing their manifesto and the final policy is still unknown. If the media can rile up enough hysterics we know May can be persuaded to 'listen'. You can't trust them.

Meanwhile Labour are promising to put £8bn of other people's money into social care. Ain't going to happen. Partly because, even now, I find it hard to believe May has thrown a nailed on landslide down the toilet.

My strategy remains the same. Have a bit of fun as people argue about their favourite lies and continue to take steps to minimise the effect on my wealth that a need for social care would entail. I don't worry about the IHT frenzy either - my estate won't have to pay a penny.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    If you have something in the manifesto that strikes the wrong cord, is it so wrong to be the bigger person and change it? If you walk across grassland and suddenly realise you are walking into a marsh, would you keep going just because you had made that decision?

I personally admire anyone that has the balls to admit they have made a mistake and correct that mistake.

What I do not like is people that try to rewrite history. Corbyn is now trying to say he helped bring about peace in NI and helped in the negotiations. In actual fact he delayed the political agreement by enabling the IRA, he was on the board of a magazine that applauded the Brighton Bombing and said Margaret Thatcher was a legitimate target, and he voted against the Good Friday agreement.

It will be a sad day if Corbyn comes to power, and we would certainly be the laughing stock of Europe if not the world, especially when he starts giving away all our own money as an apology for slavery, when we were at the forefront of the abolition of slavery.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • ThinkingOutLoud_2
    Options
    Yes - AFTER it had devalued.

The price of wine didn't shoot up in a month either - but it sure is now...
    So why do you think the price has gone up?
    Did you find a "fact" that could be twisted to your purpose

Here is why wine is more expensive.

Cheers.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/wine-price-rise-production-close-20-year-low-a7373461.html%3Famp
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you have something in the manifesto that strikes the wrong cord, is it so wrong to be the bigger person and change it? I

There was nothing wrong with her policy when she first wrote it. It provided care to those without the means, prevented people losing their homes while alive, and ensured those that do have the means to pay contributed more from their estate. It provided the safety net required without raising taxes. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem raising taxes either, but it would need to be done for the general population.

The problem with the UK is that want Scandinavian-style social services paid for with US-style taxes.

To me, May's U-turn shows she is weak. She's not said what the cap is, and could have sold the original policy on the grounds of fairness to the next generation of tax payers.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • ThinkingOutLoud_2
    Options
    Why is the cap a U-turn?

It is right turn - but not an about face.

It is an improvement and provably necessary.

But, it is not a false claim about WMD.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,282 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why is the cap a U-turn?

It is right turn - but not an about face.

It is an improvement and provably necessary.

But, it is not a false claim about WMD.

The Manifesto doesn't mention a care cap. Because there wasn't going to be one. The policy was sold as taking the burden of costs away from the taxpayer where the person needing care had assets.

Unless there is no cap (or one much higher than the current £72K), the policy cannot achieve its central aim and has failed before it's implemented.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    edited 3 June 2017 at 9:16AM
    Options
    setmefree2 wrote: »
    Personally I think Trump made a great case for pulling out of the Paris deal. Why should China be able to carry on polluting - it is the biggest polluter in the world? Why does China get away with everything from currency manipulation to theft of intellectual property? Why should the US, who has enough poor of its own, foot the bill - why can't Germany, France, Russia, etc stump up more.

Tell me this - who put Merkel in charge?

Hats off to TM.

Finally Trump has done something for Women.

He's promoted Angela Merkel to the leader of the Western World.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • ThinkingOutLoud_2
    Options
    kinger101 wrote: »
    The Manifesto doesn't mention a care cap. Because there wasn't going to be one. The policy was sold as taking the burden of costs away from the taxpayer where the person needing care had assets.

Unless there is no cap (or one much higher than the current £72K), the policy cannot achieve its central aim and has failed before it's implemented.
    You are right the abscence of a cap in the plan was a fundamental omission and the implementation had not been properly described or even possibly thought through.

But if say Labour see through a policy for which say a rise in corporation tax was supposed to fund but doesn't - will that be a U-turn because they have to fund by borrowing or just a failure.

Or will spending so much on trident which you would never use or having a review of a manifesto commitment in the same parliamentary term as you said it was a commitment be a u-turn?

None of the parties are perfect IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure