Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 17th Apr 17, 9:38 AM
    • 6,801Posts
    • 19,691Thanks
    Doc N
    Clarks shoes, brand new, rotting in their thousands - check your wardrobes now!
    • 17th Apr 17, 9:38 AM
    Clarks shoes, brand new, rotting in their thousands - check your wardrobes now! 17th Apr 17 at 9:38 AM
    Check your cupboards and wardrobes for any Clarks shoes you might have put away for later use - even if they're brand new.

You'll probably find that they're rotting away, leaving a sticky gooey mess where you thought there was a nice new pair of shoes.

Take a look at this video: https://youtu.be/BUKSxV_6ZHU

There's a well-documented problem with hundreds of thousands of Clarks shoes caused by their use of unsuitable materials for the soles, and it causes them to rot and fall apart, thanks to something called hydrolysis.

Problem is, Clarks are doing practically nothing for their unhappy customers, even though they know all about it. If you thought Clarks was a good reputable British company turning out good quality shoes, think again. They're nearly all cheap imports now, sold at inflated prices, and poor quality issues like this are just laughed off by the company, who don't give a damn about the money people have wasted on their expensive self-destructing shoes.

Bear that in mind when you're next buying shoes for yourself or your children. Clarks is all about high prices, poor quality, and high profits - customers come a very poor second.

https://youtu.be/BUKSxV_6ZHU
Page 4
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 28th Jun 17, 11:33 AM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 19,691 Thanks
    Doc N
    I don't support Clarks, i think they sell overpriced mass produced shoes, i'm surprised anyone thinks they are any better than other shoe shops really. I just dont see the point in making an issue over stuff thats years old now.
    Originally posted by meer53
    I think perhaps if you and your wife had several pairs of new or barely used quite expensive shoes which had just rotted and fallen apart in a perfectly dry and normal environment, you might view it differently.

Expensive shoes should not self-destruct after a while, and if they do you'd expect a company like Clarks to look after customers it's happened to.

The fact that they haven't means that a lot of their ex-customers (check online) won't now touch them with a 50 foot bargepole.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 28th Jun 17, 4:17 PM
    • 9,335 Posts
    • 13,623 Thanks
    meer53
    I think perhaps if you and your wife had several pairs of new or barely used quite expensive shoes which had just rotted and fallen apart in a perfectly dry and normal environment, you might view it differently.

Expensive shoes should not self-destruct after a while, and if they do you'd expect a company like Clarks to look after customers it's happened to.

The fact that they haven't means that a lot of their ex-customers (check online) won't now touch them with a 50 foot bargepole.
    Originally posted by Doc N
    I dont have a wife or husband, I'm a single Mum with 2 children.

I don't call Clarks shoes expensive, but thats just my opinion, I don't think many people would have more than one pair of shoes affected like this, i also don't think Clarks are the type of company to be worried about this issue. I view from a "it's happened, move on" point of view.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 28th Jun 17, 6:17 PM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 10,708 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Seeing as this is a money saving site I wouldnt be happy at having to have a seldom worn pair of shoes re heeled when they were over £150 , 5 or 6 years is not old for shoes
    Originally posted by Art Deco
    I don't have the receipt and I can't even remember which country I bought them in let alone which store. Camper is a Spanish brand so dealing with the manufacturer wouldn't be easy. I'm happy to take the only option available which is to pay to get them mended as they are particularly "interesting" shoes, each being completely decorated with a watercolour of boats in the harbour on Majorca - a slightly different scene on each shoe.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 28th Jun 17, 6:26 PM
    • 21,213 Posts
    • 57,216 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I don't call Clarks shoes expensive, but thats just my opinion, I don't think many people would have more than one pair of shoes affected like this, i also don't think Clarks are the type of company to be worried about this issue. I view from a "it's happened, move on" point of view.
    Originally posted by meer53
    I've had it happen to 2 pair of Clarks, a pair I bought from New York and a pair of Dunlop sandals.
    But I'm a lady who has a lot of pairs of shoes.

All had similar composition soles.

I have quite a lot of pairs of Clarks, another pair of Dunlop sandals, plus several pairs of Ecco (another brand that have been linked to disintegrating soles. Hotter is another). All these shoes are fine, I've checked today as I've been having a clearout. The soles are different to the ones that disintegrated.

I'm happy to take the only option available which is to pay to get them mended as they are particularly "interesting" shoes, each being completely decorated with a watercolour of boats in the harbour on Majorca - a slightly different scene on each shoe.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Loving the sound of these shoes.
    • Art Deco
    • By Art Deco 28th Jun 17, 6:58 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Art Deco
    I don't have the receipt and I can't even remember which country I bought them in let alone which store. Camper is a Spanish brand so dealing with the manufacturer wouldn't be easy. I'm happy to take the only option available which is to pay to get them mended as they are particularly "interesting" shoes, each being completely decorated with a watercolour of boats in the harbour on Majorca - a slightly different scene on each shoe.
    They sound great I do like Camper shoes, Ive had a few different pairs but none have disintegrated yet!!
    :
    • 7roland8
    • By 7roland8 5th Sep 17, 1:14 PM
    • 3,573 Posts
    • 6,832 Thanks
    7roland8
    Well I redeemed my voucher yesterday and got some everyday shoes.

I did mention to the assistant about the crumbling soles and asked if they'd changed the composition now. She said they hadn't (!) but did I wear them ofetn - 'no' I said as they had been 'best' sandals. She said if they're not worn ofetn then they will crumble!!!

Great marketing and does not make you wnat to buy many of their pairs does it!!
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
    • Jac2018
    • By Jac2018 7th Oct 18, 8:51 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jac2018
    Clarks disintegrating shoes.....another unhappy customer!!
    I too have had the same issue with a pair of Clarks winter boots. I wrote to Clarks and their reply was to be expected, bearing in mind the comments posted here.
    It is quite obvious that they have comprised on quality while products remain at a premium price.

There was a time when footwear ended up unwearable through natural wear and tear. Now, the company's claim that disintegration through storage is to be expected and indeed acceptable, This claim is extreme but gives of course, qualification to inferior materials and conveniently transfers liability from them, as trusted retailer, to the hapless customer.

The £10 e-card is an insult ….. valid for 2 years and to be spent within the store.... it's a win win for Clarks... but why should they think we want more of their shoddy goods....?

Goes without saying, I won't be shopping with Clarks again. My footwear needs to be exactly that....something that wears out on my feet, not in the cupboard.
    Last edited by Jac2018; 07-10-2018 at 8:55 PM.
    • Jac2018
    • By Jac2018 8th Oct 18, 8:15 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jac2018
    I too have had the same issue with a pair of Clarks winter boots. I wrote to Clarks and their reply was to be expected, bearing in mind the comments posted here.
    It is quite obvious that they have comprised on quality while products remain at a premium price.

There was a time when footwear ended up unwearable through natural wear and tear. Now, the company's claim that disintegration through storage is to be expected and indeed acceptable, This claim is extreme but gives of course, qualification to inferior materials and conveniently transfers liability from them, as trusted retailer, to the hapless customer.

The £10 e-card is an insult ….. valid for 2 years and to be spent within the store.... it's a win win for Clarks... but why should they think we want more of their shoddy goods....?

Goes without saying, I won't be shopping with Clarks again. My footwear needs to be exactly that....something that wears out on my feet, not in the cupboard.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 8th Oct 18, 9:05 PM
    • 1,462 Posts
    • 2,163 Thanks
    pearl123
    Clarks have deteriorated in my honest opinion. The leather on the shoes seems to be either blended with something else or very thin. I'm going elsewhere as a result.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 8th Oct 18, 10:47 PM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 19,691 Thanks
    Doc N
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUKSxV_6ZHU
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Oct 18, 11:24 PM
    • 33,163 Posts
    • 20,882 Thanks
    DCFC79

Originally posted by Jac2018
    You do know you posted the same reply Sunday evening at 8 51pm ?
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 13th Oct 18, 3:56 PM
    • 5,730 Posts
    • 8,035 Thanks
    deannatrois
    When I was a child, Clark's were a good make. When I tried several times to buy my children shoes (we all have wide feet) for school and there were none of the right size in stock, I realised things had changed and there was no advantage to buying shoes compared to cheaper brands.

So I stopped buying from them or even going near them.

I'm afraid nowadays there is nothing special about Clark's at all.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 13th Oct 18, 4:05 PM
    • 11,276 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Might the deterioration of the quality of Clarks' shoes be attributed to the fact they are no longer made in Street, Somerset, but have been made in various factories in Asia since 2006
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Oct 18, 5:09 PM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 19,691 Thanks
    Doc N
    I'm afraid nowadays there is nothing special about Clark's at all.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    Might the deterioration of the quality of Clarks' shoes be attributed to the fact they are no longer made in Street, Somerset, but have been made in various factories in Asia since 2006
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    deannatrois, there is something special about Clarks still, to be fair - the very high price unmatched by the quality.

And as you say, lincroft1710, it has everything to do with stopping production at Street.

Clarks then was a very different animal, with a highly moral Quaker background.

Clarks now however seems to have no morality whatsoever. It churns out cheap, badly made shoes in the far east, sells them at outrageous prices by exploiting its brand name, and when customers dare to complain about their shoes disintegrating they do nothing about it and blame the very materials they chose to use to keep costs to a bare minimum.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 13th Oct 18, 7:58 PM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 10,708 Thanks
    LilElvis
    deannatrois, there is something special about Clarks still, to be fair - the very high price unmatched by the quality.

And as you say, lincroft1710, it has everything to do with stopping production at Street.

Clarks then was a very different animal, with a highly moral Quaker background.

Clarks now however seems to have no morality whatsoever. It churns out cheap, badly made shoes in the far east, sells them at outrageous prices by exploiting its brand name, and when customers dare to complain about their shoes disintegrating they do nothing about it and blame the very materials they chose to use to keep costs to a bare minimum.
    Outrageous? Men's office shoes start at £55 and women's court shoes start at £45. At that price point you're getting what you pay for. I paid more than that for good shoes thirty years ago!
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 13th Oct 18, 8:16 PM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 19,691 Thanks
    Doc N
    Outrageous? Men's office shoes start at £55 and women's court shoes start at £45. At that price point you're getting what you pay for. I paid more than that for good shoes thirty years ago!
    Outrageous in the sense that those prices are about twice the price of the equivalent shoes sold without the magic word 'Clarks' stuck to them.

Doubling the price doesn't improve the quality in any way, and while those shoes you bought thirty years ago would have lasted well - and taken repairs - the Clarks ones now at that price certainly won't.

This thread is all about Clarks shoes that self-destruct even if not worn - the soles just disintegrate into a crumbly, plasticky, gooey mess because of the materials used. That's bad enough (and some of the shoes that did it for me cost around £70 some years ago) but what makes it worse is the complete absence of any remorse or recompense from Clarks for brand new but disintegrated shoes.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 13th Oct 18, 9:03 PM
    • 3,973 Posts
    • 10,708 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Outrageous in the sense that those prices are about twice the price of the equivalent shoes sold without the magic word 'Clarks' stuck to them.

Doubling the price doesn't improve the quality in any way, and while those shoes you bought thirty years ago would have lasted well - and taken repairs - the Clarks ones now at that price certainly won't.

This thread is all about Clarks shoes that self-destruct even if not worn - the soles just disintegrate into a crumbly, plasticky, gooey mess because of the materials used. That's bad enough (and some of the shoes that did it for me cost around £70 some years ago) but what makes it worse is the complete absence of any remorse or recompense from Clarks for brand new but disintegrated shoes.
    Where can you buy shoes with leather uppers at circa £25 per pair?
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 14th Oct 18, 11:23 AM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 19,691 Thanks
    Doc N
    Where can you buy shoes with leather uppers at circa £25 per pair?
    Not at Clark’s, for sure - unless they’re reduced and in the sale.

M&S however (not exactly noted for low prices) sell some well reviewed ones at a standard price of £35, and I’d back their shoes against Clarks any day.
    • Miró
    • By Miró 14th Oct 18, 1:32 PM
    • 5,819 Posts
    • 25,214 Thanks
    Miró
    Not at Clark’s, for sure - unless they’re reduced and in the sale.

M&S however (not exactly noted for low prices) sell some well reviewed ones at a standard price of £35, and I’d back their shoes against Clarks any day.

Me too...I've never had the 'crumbling sole problem' with any of M & S's shoes, (yet!). I too have had the problem with, perhaps, half a dozen pairs of Clark's, Hotter and Ecco shoes over the years.
    Remember how far you have come not how far you have to go
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 26th Nov 18, 7:48 PM
    • 6,801 Posts
    • 19,691 Thanks
    Doc N
    Anybody who's had problems with Clarks shoes falling apart, despite being unused or barely used - Watchdog ran a story about this last week and are looking for more people to let them know of any problems.

Let them know, and bring Clarks to book on this one for knowing about the problem, keeping quiet about it, and failing to offer help when asked.

Contact details

Email: watchdog@bbc.co.uk

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/bbcwatchdog/

Twitter: @BBCWatchdog
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,012Posts Today

7,123Users online

Martin's Twitter