TSB's contactless card offer

Comments

• AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    annoying when it happens.

Why do you, once a month, take the cards to an ATM.
    Punch in the pin and get a balance.

In theory you should get have a few goes for con-tactless to work
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Two TSB CS people have told me that, if a PIN is requested but not used, it makes no difference to future use of the card.ie It is likely to work contactless next time ...This was upheld when Tesco's machine requested the PIN on one card, which I then intended to use with PIN for a small purchase, but the PIN was not needed.

Big surprise...The first card I tried today worked fine : £4.07 in cash and £30 on the card, to satisfy a Tesco £6 off a £40 spend. ( A nice bonus of £7.50)

My husband always buys Tesco petrol with his card and is very good at measuring the exact amount for £30.
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Checking your balance might be enough
    No, I found it wasn't. But what did work every time was going to the ATM beforehand and using the 'Unlock PIN' process. That 'clears' it long enough for a few contactless transactions.

But, yes, TSB are taking the wotnot and [in my view] deliberately making it hard to get your monthly fiver. I had one of the earlier accounts and it was all quite easy to begin with. Then the PIN requests started. There's nothing 'random' about it.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    There have been other threads about the TSB card, which seems notorious for frequent PIN requests - that was certainly my experience - whereas I don't think I've ever had a PIN request on my Smile debit - though of course no 5% either!

My 5% with TSB ran out last December and in many ways it was a relief - I simply stopped using the card altogether.

If you have an iPhone it might be worth checking if that's a way of getting around the PIN checks - but I don't know if the 5% still applies if you use Apple Pay.
  • ThemeOne wrote: »
    There have been other threads about the TSB card, which seems notorious for frequent PIN requests - that was certainly my experience - whereas I don't think I've ever had a PIN request on my Smile debit - though of course no 5% either!

My 5% with TSB ran out last December and in many ways it was a relief - I simply stopped using the card altogether.

If you have an iPhone it might be worth checking if that's a way of getting around the PIN checks - but I don't know if the 5% still applies if you use Apple Pay.

That's my experience as well. As soon as TSB signed up to Android Pay, I put the card on the phone and in the last few months leading up to December I used Android Pay. No more PIN requests and the 5% was paid. I assume the same would be the case for Apple Pay.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I'm an old dinosaur and don't have a Smart phone; just an old brick.

I only use the contactless for the 5% anyway and won't bother once the offer ends. Typing a PIN takes seconds, anyway.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    If you use Apple Pay you still earn 5% cashback under the TSB offer; I've been able to go several transactions before needing to enter my PIN.

I've done a balance check beforehand *if* I think it's likely to request a PIN and it worked for me.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • I regularly had the same issue so get around it now by using my TSB card via AndroidPay.

Works every time now.

Just make sure mobile data is switched on.
  • glosoli
    glosoli Posts: 739 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    In the years I have had contactless with TSB, I cannot remember ever being asked to enter a pincode!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    glosoli wrote: »
    In the years I have had contactless with TSB, I cannot remember ever being asked to enter a pincode!
    Ah, but were you getting the 5% cashback each month?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure