Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • The Green Hornet
    • By The Green Hornet 13th Apr 17, 11:49 PM
    • 378Posts
    • 613Thanks
    The Green Hornet
    Iresa Closes Door to New Customers
    • 13th Apr 17, 11:49 PM
    Iresa Closes Door to New Customers 13th Apr 17 at 11:49 PM
    The independent energy company behind the retail market’s cheapest deal has shut its doors to new consumers amid concern over its mounting complaints and wafer thin cash reserves.

Iresa Energy is one of almost fifty challenger brands to the big six legacy suppliers but it has set itself apart by offering a rock bottom dual fuel supply tariff at an average price of £834 a year.

However, the company has slammed the brakes on its rising popularity after the regulator warned the company to get a handle on an increasing number of complaints from its customers.

A spokesman for Ofgem said it became aware that Iresa’s customers were struggling to get hold of customer service representatives raise queries and complaints.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/13/uks-cheapest-energy-supplier-closes-doors-new-customers/

http://www.iresa.co.uk/not-taking-new-orders/
    6 x Sharp 220 W panels. 1.32 kWp. SMA Sunny Boy 1200 inverter. South facing 30 degree pitch roof with no shading. Eco-eye SmartPV monitor + energyhive.
Page 3
    • Patrick Mac
    • By Patrick Mac 10th May 17, 11:00 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Patrick Mac
    Iresa should close
    It is a shame when a company closes but after my experience with the company I do not feel they have operated at all. I have had months of difficulty with them. You telephone and find you are something like 45 in the queue. Emails go unanswered but interestingly removed from your support page or listed as 'resolved'.

I did find a way to get their attention, after 5 threats that I will sue I did. I issued a money claim in the County Court for my refund, now they won't shut up!

My account with them ended, finally, in March. Up until then they refused to release the account to our preferred supplier. Threats of complaints went unanswered and the 'support' page shows all my issues as 'resolved'. I threatened to complaint, no response. Finally I complained and nothing happened so I now have the Ombudsman on board.

The refund is in the County Court and their refusal to deal with my request and subsequently the complaint, are with the Ombudsman.

This is a potted version of events but have been going on for 4 months.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th May 17, 11:27 AM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    It is a shame when a company closes but after my experience with the company I do not feel they have operated at all. I have had months of difficulty with them. You telephone and find you are something like 45 in the queue. Emails go unanswered but interestingly removed from your support page or listed as 'resolved'.

I did find a way to get their attention, after 5 threats that I will sue I did. I issued a money claim in the County Court for my refund, now they won't shut up!

My account with them ended, finally, in March. Up until then they refused to release the account to our preferred supplier. Threats of complaints went unanswered and the 'support' page shows all my issues as 'resolved'. I threatened to complaint, no response. Finally I complained and nothing happened so I now have the Ombudsman on board.

The refund is in the County Court and their refusal to deal with my request and subsequently the complaint, are with the Ombudsman.

Originally posted by Patrick Mac
    I have just switched my gas and electricity to another supplier. I now need to wait until the electricity has gone across and then cancel my DD. Your experience is helpful. Thank you.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 10th May 17, 3:17 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    footyguy

Originally posted by Patrick Mac
    I'm sorry, but the ombudsman will not consider your complaint further as you have rushed to the courts and initiated legal action.

You may well win your case at court (the judge will decoide that) but as you clearly did not take all reasonable action to resolve the matter before heading to court (follow the suppliers complaint procedure which includes where appropriate to ask assistence from the ombudsman) then even if you do win, the court may noit allow you the costs (court costs etc) that would normally be included if you were to win.

Good luck!
    • Jane Rowley
    • By Jane Rowley 29th May 17, 7:12 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Jane Rowley
    Calorific value
    How can I check if I have been charged the wrong calorific value for gas, as stated by many customers on this site? Any help appreciated.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 29th May 17, 7:37 PM
    • 18,570 Posts
    • 12,725 Thanks
    molerat
    How can I check if I have been charged the wrong calorific value for gas, as stated by many customers on this site? Any help appreciated.
    Originally posted by Jane Rowley
    If you want to be accurate you need to go here http://mip-prod-web.azurewebsites.net/DataItemExplorer/Index and download the daily calorific values for your region for the billing period and divide by the number of days in the period then truncate, not round, the result to 1 decimal place (39.4999 = 39.4). You then multiply that figure by 0.2840666 and see if it matches the multiplier used on the bill. It will not as Iresa are not doing it correctly and will, using the example 39.4, use something like 11.2 when the correct multiplier is 11.192224.
    Last edited by molerat; 29-05-2017 at 7:45 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 14th Jul 17, 12:03 PM
    • 4,136 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    footyguy
    Iresa have re-opened their doors to new customers
    Same low priced tariff applies.

Applications are via their website.

As always, consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you
    (but do ensure Iresa are listed on it, as some PCWs have not yet caught up)
    • MikeCain
    • By MikeCain 8th Mar 18, 12:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MikeCain
    I have no real problems
    Iresa is a new company and gives interest on positive balances. There have been times that I thought they had forgotten to switch me. My old elec supplier had sent the CLOSED PAPERWORK but Iresa had not started but they had been taking money. It was sorted and I didnt lose out. I found the Customer Service helpful and got through quickly at first but lately has been a long queue. I am happy that they are the cheapest, give interest and only require me to read the meter. I could niggle but its the same electricity that Eon supplied and the cust serv is no different. It looks like they were ambitious and have new company issues. I will continue next year
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Mar 18, 12:56 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    I could niggle but its the same electricity that Eon supplied and the cust serv is no different.
    Originally posted by MikeCain
    I think that many of the 00s of people who have/are posting on various threads may have a contrarian view. It is also worth remembering that Iresa is currently under Ofgem investigation for:

Standards of Conduct, to treat customers fairly, SLC 0 (or SLC 25C until October 2017)
    Customer Transfer Blocking, SLC 14

Notification of increase in Charges for the Supply of Electricity and /or Gas and other unilateral variations, SLC 23.3 and 23.4

Customers in payment difficulty, including ability to pay, SLC 27.5-27.8
    Provision of information (in relation to credit balances), SLC 27.16

Consumer Complaints Handling Standards 2008

The Jury is still firmly out.
    • LyndaS
    • By LyndaS 8th Mar 18, 3:12 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    LyndaS

The Jury is still firmly out.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    Really? I didn't think the jury had even been sworn in yet....

The opening of this investigation does not imply that we have made any findings about non-compliance by Iresa.
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications-and-updates/ofgem-opens-investigation-iresa-s-customer-service

This old thread makes for a good laugh though

Bring out the gallows, bring out the gallows!

Perhaps we could have a mass execution including the likes of British Gas, Ovo, E, SSE, etc, etc
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/investigations
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 8th Mar 18, 3:28 PM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    Really? I didn't think the jury had even been sworn in yet....
    ]
    Originally posted by LyndaS
    And the accepted meaning of the term ‘the jury is still out’ is ‘A decision has not yet been reached on a controversial subject.’

Given that Iresa is still under formal investigation, I would have thought that this was a fair comment to make.
    • ThePants999
    • By ThePants999 8th Mar 18, 5:29 PM
    • 1,118 Posts
    • 1,373 Thanks
    ThePants999
    Iresa came up cheapest for me on a comparison search today. Then I Googled, found https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/iresa.co.uk and noped the hell out.
    • Vendee
    • By Vendee 10th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Vendee
    Iresa came up cheapest for me on a comparison search today. Then I Googled, found https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/iresa.co.uk and noped the hell out.
    Originally posted by ThePants999
    You did good.

In February, with the worst of the winter over, I noticed that my credit balance was approaching £100. I contacted them to ask for a partial refund and a reduction in my direct debit. They didn't reply so I contacted them again and said I would be cancelling my direct debit if they didn't act. Again no reply so I cancelled my direct debit and initiated a switch to a new electricity supplier. I have enough credit balance to take me up to the switch date but I reckon I will have trouble getting them to refund any remaining credit.

Last week I noticed that they haven't billed me or issued a statement for March. I phoned them (long wait) and they said that the delay is down to the Easter bank holiday but here we are on 10th April and still no statement for March. I'm sure they are up to no good because they know I'm leaving them. They are a complete bunch of crooks.
    • rosy10
    • By rosy10 10th Apr 18, 2:47 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    rosy10
    Similar story here following switching. I, (finally), switched on 08/03. I calculated that I had sufficient credit to cover the outstanding amount. I also cancelled my DD to prevent any more money going from my account.

I haven't had a generated bill from Iresa since end January.
    • Vendee
    • By Vendee 10th Apr 18, 6:08 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Vendee
    Similar story here following switching. I, (finally), switched on 08/03. I calculated that I had sufficient credit to cover the outstanding amount. I also cancelled my DD to prevent any more money going from my account.

I haven't had a generated bill from Iresa since end January.
    Originally posted by rosy10
    Do you think they are not generating your bill to stop you knowing how much they owe you?
    • Threewheeler
    • By Threewheeler 10th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Threewheeler
    Hi all, I have just completed a switch from Iresa, managed to cancel the 13th d/d then the final readings I sent have left me with a 36 pence debt to them, (it just worked out that way!!!). Looks like they might have to decide whether or not to chase me for it!
    Threewheeler
    • itchyfeet123
    • By itchyfeet123 10th Apr 18, 9:13 PM
    • 431 Posts
    • 482 Thanks
    itchyfeet123
    Do you think they are not generating your bill to stop you knowing how much they owe you?
    Originally posted by Vendee
    30 seconds with a calculator would ruin that plan.
    • rosy10
    • By rosy10 10th Apr 18, 10:33 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    rosy10
    well, I know how much Iresa owe me (it's pence). If I was a suspicious sort of person I might suspect that the lack of billing/bill finalisation is to delay returning credit. I wonder if I can insist that they refund me by cheque?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

92Posts Today

1,607Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin