Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JS5
    • By JS5 10th Apr 17, 4:04 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JS5
    House Raffle
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:04 PM
    House Raffle 10th Apr 17 at 4:04 PM
    I saw a House Raffle in the Metro this morning. Search for "Win a Country House" for more details.

Is this a scam, what are the downsides if you win, will you have to pay Stamp, Taxes?
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 10th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,831 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:14 PM
    I saw a House Raffle in the Metro this morning. Search for "Win a Country House" for more details.

Is this a scam, what are the downsides if you win, will you have to pay Stamp, Taxes?
    Originally posted by JS5
    No its not a scam, the property is on the market for 650k (assuming its the same one I read an article on earlier) but the owner is trying to sell to prevent reposession & is looking to raise 500k through raffle sales. If he doesnt receive a suitable offer by a specified date he will (as long as he's sold 250,000 tickets by then) pick a lucky winner.
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 10th Apr 17, 4:19 PM
    • 4,175 Posts
    • 11,394 Thanks
    Hermia
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:19 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:19 PM
    I think all the ones I have seen in the past did not sell enough tickets so they withdrew the house and just had a prize draw with the money raised as a prize. I'd love to know if any of these raffles worked out?
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 10th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 8,831 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 4:26 PM
    I think all the ones I have seen in the past did not sell enough tickets so they withdrew the house and just had a prize draw with the money raised as a prize. I'd love to know if any of these raffles worked out?
    Originally posted by Hermia
    Me too but to be honest I'd have a go for 2
    • G_M
    • By G_M 10th Apr 17, 7:46 PM
    • 45,556 Posts
    • 54,758 Thanks
    G_M
    • 10th Apr 17, 7:46 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 7:46 PM
    Sounds like a great scheme to pay off the mortgage arrears and get to keep the property..........

Cynical? Me???
    • principlecounts
    • By principlecounts 10th Apr 17, 10:57 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    principlecounts
    • 10th Apr 17, 10:57 PM
    • 10th Apr 17, 10:57 PM
    He's created a lot of publicity on this, so it's worth a shot. Like everyone says, a better chance winning here than the lottery.
    Student loan: 6,486.06@01/10/2018 (1.5%)
    Mortgage 1: 202,177.84/210,474.00 (Oct 2018) (1.38%) until June 2019
    Mortgage 2: 148,371.33/148,500.00 (Dec 2017) (2.14%) until Aug 2019
    Dining Furniture Set: CLEARED.
    Carpets: CLEARED.
    • MegaBloc
    • By MegaBloc 22nd Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MegaBloc
    • 22nd Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    House Raffles
    • 22nd Aug 17, 8:56 PM
    Entered the " Win Your Dream Home " raffle for the house in Glasgow over three weeks ago. On their website they clearly state on both their payments section and under the receipts section you will get notification your payment and application has been accepted within 48 hours. Three weeks go by and nothing, even though I answered their simple question correctly. On their Terms & Conditions section they state : The Promoters will not be liable for any loss suffered by an Entrant as a result of incomplete entries or failed computer communications or for any loss suffered as a result of use of the Website.
    The Promoters do not accept responsibility for entries which they do not receive due to failures in computer systems, other malfunctions, high Internet traffic, hardware failure, software failure, server faults or any other reason. In theory using these Terms & Conditions they could eliminate most, if not all entries. In addition to this, we found a Surveyors Report dated 03-06-2016 floating about on the internet regarding the same property. The report indicates the property needs a lot of money spent to to put things right. It has rising damp, rot and roof issues. Also the property has had ground movement problems in the past and presently to the rear of the property around the garage and shed area. These raffles clearly need to be regulated and a system put in place that only allows an independent accredited body/organisation to run these raffles for the property owners at a reasonable capped fee. Not to would be an open invitation for all sorts to potentially deceive.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 22nd Aug 17, 9:46 PM
    • 8,802 Posts
    • 9,307 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 22nd Aug 17, 9:46 PM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 9:46 PM
    In addition to this, we found a Surveyors Report dated 03-06-2016 floating about on the internet regarding the same property. The report indicates the property needs a lot of money spent to to put things right. It has rising damp, rot and roof issues. Also the property has had ground movement problems in the past and presently to the rear of the property around the garage and shed area. These raffles clearly need to be regulated and a system put in place that only allows an independent accredited body/organisation to run these raffles for the property owners at a reasonable capped fee. Not to would be an open invitation for all sorts to potentially deceive.
    Originally posted by MegaBloc
    Gift horse / mouth etc.

In Scotland I presume the Home Report still needs to be made available anyway?

Unless it's actually a net liability (e.g. you inherit the responsibility for decontaminating the whole neighbourhood or rebuilding a listed building) I don't see the big problem.
    Last edited by davidmcn; 22-08-2017 at 9:48 PM.
    • Running Horse
    • By Running Horse 22nd Aug 17, 10:10 PM
    • 10,563 Posts
    • 21,238 Thanks
    Running Horse
    • 22nd Aug 17, 10:10 PM
    • 22nd Aug 17, 10:10 PM
    I was under the impression the government was shutting these down a few years ago for breaking gaming laws. Has something changed?
    I was present at wreath-laying but don't think I was involved.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 22nd Aug 17, 11:22 PM
    • 10,998 Posts
    • 14,488 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Don't forget the actual costs of buying a house, especially if you already own one cos of stamp duty, etc. You may be able to get a mortgage on it (if they don't make you wait 6 months) or on your current property, if you have one, to release some funds, but if you weren't looking to buy, can you afford it? Know I couldn't!
    2018 wins: Single Malt Whisky; theatre tickets; festival tickets; year of gin(!); shoes
    • davemorton
    • By davemorton 22nd Aug 17, 11:27 PM
    • 26,806 Posts
    • 322,537 Thanks
    davemorton
    I was under the impression the government was shutting these down a few years ago for breaking gaming laws. Has something changed?
    Originally posted by Running Horse
    They have to now put an element of skill into it now, so get round this by asking an easy question. The house in question was won by a lady a few days ago.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Juvenal, The Sixteen Satires
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 22nd Aug 17, 11:28 PM
    • 6,422 Posts
    • 6,954 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Originally posted by Running Horse
    My understanding is that if it is a 'game of chance' (e.g. a simple raffle) then gaming laws apply. But if it is a 'game of skill' then they don't - hence why these sort of competitions ask you to answer a question and only those who get the answer right are entered into the draw.
    • MegaBloc
    • By MegaBloc 22nd Aug 17, 11:57 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    MegaBloc
    The fact they named the raffle " Win Your Dream Home " was very misleading. The Surveyors Report would have only been a requirement if one was actually purchasing the house. Since the house was a prize the surveyors report was not legally required. I think there was a good reason they kept the report quiet !!!... It's interesting to note PayPal pulled the plug on this competition and they don't easily walk away from profit unless there is good reason. I'm assuming the " Win Your Dream House " terms & conditions alone were enough to make PayPal suspicious this raffle was not all above board. PayPal fully supported the Melling Manor raffle that concluded last week. That ran for six months. It looks to me like the raffle on Dullatur House in Scotland was not intended to be won by an outsider. These raffles can be easily fixed. You get to write your own Terms & Conditions that could create convenient legal loopholes. You get to decide how and what devices are used for the draw. You get to decide what witnesses are present, including your own solicitor. You get to decide which member of the press attends the draw and they wouldn't actually know how the draw is rigged. There is no transparency.
    • shortcrust
    • By shortcrust 23rd Aug 17, 12:18 AM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 3,252 Thanks
    shortcrust
    Is this maybe a bit spam flavoured?
    • MalcolmY
    • By MalcolmY 10th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    MalcolmY
    I've seen several of these advertised now. And they all seem legit till you go and dig into the T&Cs and discover they've made no commitment on transparency - no guarantee that the draw will be public, that it will be overseen by a neutral party etc. Nothing.

The modus operandi seems to be to open a limited company to act as "promoter". Create a website that looks professional and post various reassurances about it all being above board and a competition and therefore not foul of the law. Then start collecting money. If enough tickets are not sold then only 75% of the money collected is distributed as prize money. The rest is kept as an admin charge.

And do it all in the name of a limited company that has zero assets. So if everything goes pear shaped, "It wasn't me, gov".

Seems like an easy way to make money - put your house on a raffle, spend a few hundred quid on a website and a template T&C, sit back and keep 25% of all money collected. Or 100% of it if you're fiddling the draw!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,190Posts Today

7,167Users online

Martin's Twitter