Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 805Posts
    • 5,753Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: £414 last payment this month!
    CC1: £830 min payment £25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: £6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: £3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: £9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: £8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: £29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are £90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the £4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: £33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 29
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 30th Jul 18, 3:34 PM
    • 2,179 Posts
    • 12,863 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Sorry to hear these people have caused you such upset. I hope today is better. x
    MFW #30 Paid off £3,942.07/£3000 as of 3/12/18
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Month 16 update looked like this..

Loan: - £0!
    mbna1: - £0!
    lloyds: - £0!
    mbna2: - £7088
    barclay: - £8097
    tesco: - £6987
    sofa: - £2949

Total - £25121

£8433/£33554 (25.1%) paid

Looking at YNAB, last months spending was
    £760.22 on groceries. This was well over budget but included a £270 shop on 20% off week of things like toiletries and wash powders.
    £57 over on fuel but we put fuel in DD new car and topped ours up for a day at the seaside, there is still half a tank so shouldn't be as much this month to fill it.
    £35 over on 'fun' money. Too many takeaways!
    Not budgeted for category was way over at £2691! But most of that was DD car. A lot of the rest was spent on amazon prime day and included 2 dashcams, a phone for me and electric razors (in the hope it will save us money on blades in the long run)
    Everything else was about on budget.

It's been interesting to see where it has all gone.

The 0% on the Tesco card ends on the 4th Sept and the MBNA the month after so need to start looking at transferring (need to find the cards first!).
    LBM in April 17 - £12652/£33554 (37.7%) paid.
    Mortgage@1 June 18 = £2373/£76350 paid.
    Total debt @ 1st June 18=£102311 £94879
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 8th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Not too much to update here spending wise as i lost my purse! Found down the side of the bedside table this afternoon.

After seeing other peoples PPI claims etc i thought i would look in to ours. I've filled some forms in and had a reply from DH cc and the mortgage company saying we had PPI and to fill in a complaint form.

I also complained about our packaged bank account on Sunday, received a call on Monday to go through the complaint and on Tuesday i've had £1200 transferred to my account!! I guess its from the packaged account complaint but will wait for a letter. I cant believe how quick it was.

Might treat the children over the holidays as they have only had a day at the seaside so far and the rest to the Credit cards.
    SPC #016
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 2,179 Posts
    • 12,863 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I also complained about our packaged bank account on Sunday, received a call on Monday to go through the complaint and on Tuesday i've had £1200 transferred to my account!! I guess its from the packaged account complaint but will wait for a letter. I cant believe how quick it was.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    That's amazing!
    MFW #30 Paid off £3,942.07/£3000 as of 3/12/18
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 8th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 1,965 Posts
    • 18,006 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Amazing news CT. Did the boiler get sorted? I can't remember.

Hope you're all okay

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 8th Aug 18, 10:01 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    That's amazing on your refund of packaged bank account fees. I got £75 back when I complained so your amount is just amazing!

Good idea to treat the kids a little and then put the rest to your credit cards.
    Total debt Dec 2017 £23090.83
    SEP 2018 £0 100% paid
    Emergency fund £257.38/£600
    Total Savings £1672.07
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you for comments. I'm still in a bit of shock. I know on the phone he said that We had the account about 4 years at £15 a month. The payment was made in 2 parts £800+ and £300+ im guessing the first might be the charges back and the second the interest they have to pay back? Hoping a letter arrives today.

WF- it got sort of sorted. DH replaced a part and it still goes hot and cold (although it's not been noticeable in the heat we have had) but it doesn't turn all the heating on now. Maybe stashing the money for the winter might be an idea in case it decides to go again when under pressure of the winter.

Today should be family day as it's the only day we have off together but DH has been up most of the night so just gone back to bed for an hour. Working nights is really messing up his sleep.

Well DD has just appeared asking for breakfast. Better go and feed her.
    SPC #016
    • efes shareholder
    • By efes shareholder 9th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    • 391 Posts
    • 1,041 Thanks
    efes shareholder
    Hi Charlie

How did you go about the PPI

I really should do this but have no idea where to start and can't recall all of my account details
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Aug 18, 10:24 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Hi Charlie

How did you go about the PPI

I really should do this but have no idea where to start and can't recall all of my account details
    Originally posted by efes shareholder
    Just logged in to give you a quick reply.
    I was setting up this website on my new phone and on the front page saw the reclaim 1000's tab so thought I'd have a nosy. I didnt even know i could clsim on the packaged account but there was a tool on the page to do it so thought id give it a try.
    While there I checked the PPI page. Most companies now have a form you can fill in asking them to check if you've ever had PPI with them, then when they reply you can fill in the complaint form.
    I just filled it in for our banks and cc's but I know over the years we have had loads on various purchases (tv, old sofa, camera, camcorder....) but have no idea which companies the loans were through. Think I'm going on a huge paperwork hunt over the next few weeks.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 10-08-2018 at 6:32 PM.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 10th Aug 18, 6:27 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. Still no post about the money in my account. Did have a letter yesterday for house insurance renewal.

Got home today to a pile of letters from the bank. Considering i didn't even think we had had PPI, we have 5 letters between us with a total of 13 accounts that have had PPI!!
    I know we have been in debt the whole time we have lived together (17 years) but I never realised just how many loans/credit cards we have had and that's only from 1 bank!

There is no details for each account, when it was opened, what it was for etc. Just the last 4 numbers of the account. So the form will have to be a basic fill in as i'm not sure about work situations at the time.

So tonight will consist of form filling and house insurance quotes.

Yesterday and today have both been NSD.

I have had cashback go to payable today from the car insurance so now have £80 in there ready for Christmas.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 10-08-2018 at 6:33 PM.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 20th Aug 18, 8:32 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning, the joys of now working the early shifts meant i couldn't sleep in past 7.30 this morning.Just put second load in washer and enjoying a cup of tea in peace.

It has been a quiet week here. We haven't really been out or anything, which i feel a bit guilty about. We did go and look around pet shops the other day as the younger DC would like a rabbit. I had told them they would have to buy the things themselves and then use their pocket money each month to look after it. After working out all the costs, they seem to have gone off the idea as haven't mentioned it for a good few days now. Surprising how having to spend their own money puts them off.

This months entertainment budget is still full, not a single takeaway (we had 4 last month!). Food budget is on track. Only budget that has gone over this month is pets as i've had to get a bulk order of flea/wormer treatment quickly for all 5. Clothing will probably go over too as still a lot of school clothes to get.

YNAB updated this morning. It's good to see in writing that if i cleared every savings account/budget, holiday/Christmas etc and threw it all at the debt and started each budget again, we would be down to 16k debt.

I finally found some energy from somewhere yesterday and cleaned/tidied the bathroom while the DC were in the shower, nothing to sell in there but it looks so much better! Need to choose another room to tackle today.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 26th Aug 18, 10:16 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning. Another week has flown by!

We haven't really done anything again this week. We have spent quiet a bit on bike carriers for the DC bikes. I had booked DD3 on a bike course on Tuesday for learning to ride as we were struggling to teach her and then this weekend it has clicked and she's off. If i cancel the course i lose my payment so she's going to have to do it anyway as they refund on attending.
    This has caused a lot of upset for DS2 and i think our plans of selling everything to put back the money spent on DD1 car has changed to saving for a disability trike for him. £600 just seems so much just to have an extra wheel!

House insurance is due for renewal on the 1st. They have quoted renewal at £260! I think i've got it down to £90 for the year! Just need to check some bits with DH before i buy (in full!!).

0% ends on the Tesco card on the 4th September and MBNA on the 4th October. I have had a money transfer offer from lloyds for 2 years at 0% and 3% fee (only 16 months 0% if i balance transfer). I think i'm going to money transfer as much as it will let me, pay off the Tesco and as much as i can off the MBNA and then transfer the remaining £3100 to the Barclay card leaving us with just 2 cards to pay off! It does mean losing a month or 2 interest free on the cards now but at least then i don't have to worry for another 2 years(for that one anyway, the BC then runs out in April).

First i'm going to have a cup of tea and something to eat.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 27-08-2018 at 12:43 PM.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 27th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good morning.
    Just a quick update on yesterdays post. I have requested the money transfer with a £328 fee. If it all goes through okay, it will clear the Tesco card and about half the MBNA.

Still not sorted the house insurance, that's a job for today.

Going to look at booking a week away in October today, we still can't decide where though (DH wants to stick to same site, i'd like to try somewhere else, but will definitely be Cornwall/Devon area).

Hoping to move furniture around in the living room today and clean down the fish tank. It's a 5 foot solid wood huge thing and the last fish has just died. Not even sure how much to list it for as the wood top has a lot of water damage but the tank and unit are in great condition.Think we paid almost £1000 for it 8 years ago.

DD1 has just made me a cup of tea so going to declutter that first.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Sep 18, 10:31 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Month 17 update..

lloyds: - £11253
    mbna2: - £3010
    barclay: - £7915
    sofa: - £2860

Total - £25038

£8516/£33554 (25.3%) paid

Due to the balance transfers we haven't even took a £100 off the totals this month but at least it hasn't gone up. Need to transfer the rest of the MBNA before October statement.

I have renewed the house insurance for £89.70 instead of the £260 renewal quote! And it has been paid in full!

Looking at YNAB we haven't done too bad this month food and entertainment are under and pets slightly over due to all flea/wormers bought in bulk. A few unbudgeted spends have got their own categories now- School, ready for next years uniforms etc. Driving lessons for DD as that's a chunk every month (hopefully not many more payments) and the storage unit as as can't see DH clearing it any time soon and the payment creeps up on us.

Can't believe the children go back on Tuesday/Wednesday, the tears, tantrums and not sleeping have already started from DD2 as she doesn't want to go back. Need to try and encourage her to try her uniform (she has completely refused to try it on so far) as we are going to get to Wednesday morning and find it doesn't fit and another week and i won't be able to return it.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 1st Sep 18, 12:15 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Had a letter for DH PPI on his credit card. Apparently they sent out a letter in 2013 that we had 3 years to reply to so they wont look in to the claim, i can't remember any letter but for a long time i just didn't open any!. They have however honoured the plevin part to repay any commission and profit share above 50%. So should be getting about £170 refunded in the next 28 days if i've read it right.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Sep 18, 4:22 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Another busy week has flown by! Children are back at school and counting down until October half term.

Lots of spending this week but mainly on school clothes. £290 for uniform, bags and shoes. I did originally take this from the clothing budget but it completely wiped it out and the children are now in desperate need of trouser, jumpers and underware (DS1 has 1 pair of jeans that fit after sorting through his wardrobe and they have seen better days). So i took the money from savings this year and now school clothes has it's own tab on the budget.

The check has arrived from MBNA ppi so need to put that in the bank.

Need to ring and complain about the internet, I paid for super fibre for the DC games and streaming and it is shocking! We couldn't even watch a film last night.

I would like to try and arrange a night out with DH. We haven't had a night out together since DD3 was 13 weeks old (she's now 9!) and it's just dawned on us that it was our 17th wedding anniversary last week and neither of us even realised. DD1 has the little ones through the day but i have never left them for an evening but I really think we could do with some time (I have been reading other diaries and it has made me realise that the children will soon be grown up and their won't be anything to talk about any more).

May be a challenge for the groceries? If i can come in under budget we can have a few hours out a month, I also have meerkat movies to make it an even cheaper date night.

A few things to sort this week.
    -Old Home insurance has taken the DD even though i cancelled it.
    -DD swimming lessons took payment last month and were supposed to be refunding,they never did and have then still took this months!
    -The slow internet.
    -Book October holiday
    -Clear a room, top to bottom!
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 10th Sep 18, 12:30 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    I am currently sat here in tears! Been going through the budget and everything is so so tight now with our wage drops. Even fitting in a hair ut is a struggle.
    Just opened the post and a letter has arrived for DH PPI, he got an email to say they had made a decision a few days ago without any extra information so wasn't holding much hope. They are repaying the PPI on 3 loans within the next 28 days. the whole £3388!! (minus the £400 tax they've deducted). I'm still shaking!

A few things to sort this week... Updated
    -Old Home insurance has taken the DD even though i cancelled it.
    -DD swimming lessons took payment last month and were supposed to be refunding,they never did and have then still took this months! - Contacted them, think they are going to cancel DD for next couple of months and use the over payment to pay DD3 for next 2 months
    -The slow internet.
    -Book October holiday
    -Clear a room, top to bottom! - Started, Just.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 13th Sep 18, 11:01 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Well the PPI money has hit the account this morning. After a lot of discussion (ok, me pretty much telling him) we have decided to pay of the MBNA part that is due to be BT at the end of the month.
    I did agree with DH that there is so much to do to the house (he wanted to keep it for this but i knew a large sum in the account may get spent on odd bits here and there) so until the next BT is due next april, we will now just pay minimum payments and save the rest to work on the house. If there is still any in the account when the BT is due we will pay that off it first.

Right, better go put the washing out.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 13th Sep 18, 1:23 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    MBNA has been paid before DH changed his mind!

DH is out walking with DS2 so i have been playing with the budget again. It has taken a year but i think we might finally have a more realistic budget.
    Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Monthly Income Details

Total monthly income.................... 3845.59[/b]

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 518.6
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 89.31000000000006
    Council tax............................. 101.67
    Electricity and Gas............................. 131
    Water rates............................. 40.67
    Telephone/Internet................... 25
    Mobile phone............................ 70
    TV Licence.............................. 12.83
    Groceries etc. ......................... 650
    Clothing................................ 100
    Petrol/diesel........................... 100
    Road tax................................ 21
    Car Insurance........................... 41.67
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 50
    Other travel............................ 55
    Other child related expenses............ 120
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 15
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 100
    Buildings/Contents insurance..................... 10
    Life assurance ......................... 14
    Other insurance......................... 26.48
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 250
    Entertainment........................... 100
    Holiday................................. 100
    Emergency fund.......................... 100
    House decorating fund................... 50
    Haircuts............................... 10
    subscriptions........................... 12
    Driving lessons ........................ 280
    Storage unit............................ 100
    college lunches......................... 20
    netflix................................. 10
    pocket money............................ 100
    osteo................................... 70
    Total monthly expenses.................. 3494.23

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 75000....(518.6)....0
    Hire Purchase (HP) debt ...... 2858.....(89.31)....0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 77858.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    card 1.........................7737......180.......0
    card 2.........................11253.....120.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........18990.....300.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,845.59
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 3,494.23
    Available for debt repayments........... 351.36
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 300
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 51.36

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Some how I have missed off the school uniform budget of £20 a month so amount left is only £30.
    Everything has been worked out over 12 months, we get paid 4 weekly(13 payments a year) but worked it to monthly, water rates are over 8 months but worked them over 12 months etc. Hopefully as i'm a month in front with the budget this should be ok.
    Now to try and stick to it with just a £30 leeway.
    Last edited by charlies tribe; 13-09-2018 at 1:33 PM.
    SPC #016
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 16th Sep 18, 1:11 PM
    • 805 Posts
    • 5,753 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Morning. Another quiet week here. Haven't managed as much from my tiny list for the week as i was hoping but i am off this week so going to try my best. I did sort the house insurance and the payment is being refunded.

Thought we had sorted the holiday but the terms and conditions state trailers have to be left in the carpark. DH wasn't keen on this as he leaves all the beach things in it (inflatable kayak, body boards etc) and DS2 disability buggy so don't like the idea of it not being close by. We were looking at 10 days and going straight from school on the Friday but we are now looking at a site that's probably a few hours more away (right at the bottom of Cornwall, we had been looking at Weymouth as had never been before) so might have to make it 7 days as won't make it there in time.

Going to go for a wonder to check on the little 2, they have gone to a park further away for the first time by themselves and i hate the thought of them not being close by, but in less than a year DD2 will be walking way past it on her way to secondary school!
    SPC #016
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,027Posts Today

8,716Users online

Martin's Twitter