Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    • 760Posts
    • 5,571Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Second time lucky... debt free diary.
    • 7th Apr 17, 1:13 PM
    Second time lucky... debt free diary. 7th Apr 17 at 1:13 PM
    Good afternoon all. As title says, this is my second time here. I started a few years ago, debt started to go down. Then DH was made redundant! He refused to sign on and we lived from the credit cards (think he was suffering depression). I have major mental health issues but went back to work almost 2 years ago but we were scraping by while dh tried self employed (something I desperately didn't want him to do).

In February he started a part time, temp job but has been working full time hours and looks like he could be staying at least for now.

I've been off work for a month as I have something growing on my ear drum, vertigo is now under control, still waiting for hospital appointment but...

From Friday we should have 2 full time wages coming in!!

Cards have been removedso we cant rely on them and ive got my lists ready. I'm dreading posting this but here goes...

Loan: 414 last payment this month!
    CC1: 830 min payment 25 on 5% for life rate
    CC2: 6987 0% till Jan 18
    CC3: 3185 0% till june 17
    CC4: 9035 0% till july 17 on 830 the rest 0%till sep 17
    CC5: 8816 think it's 0% for 18 months

Total: 29267

We have also had a sofa. payments don't start until its delivered. Ours had collapsed and we are currently on beanbags. We have had a nice one to hopefully last. The payments on that are 90 a month 0% for 4 years. so im going to add the 4287 (I think the insurance cost more than 1 chair) to the starting total.

Total: 33554

I don't know how long it'll take to be debt free but my aim for now is just seeing it go down not up. Thank you for reading if you've made it all the way to the end.
Page 24
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 2nd Mar 18, 6:34 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Oh no for the tyre, its these things that send our finances off track isn't it?

On the holiday front:
    Do you all have passports - that was the biggest barrier for us for ages
    Have a look at Skyscanner for cheapest flights to anywhere on your dates - we ended up going to Northern Spain last year because I got the flights for 60 each in the summer holidays. We then book villas direct with one of the insured places but also try bookings or late rooms.

We have done France by Ferry a few times in May half term which can be very reasonable if you book ahead. I look on bookings/late rooms for places that are a reasonable drive from calais and that have an indoor pool. Some of the camping places have static caravan/log cabins which can be good. We have booked a gite but the boys much prefer the swimming pool holidays.
    HTH
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    Thank you. It is isn't it, but this time i'm prepared and have the money put away already. No cards this time.

We don't all have passports, DD1 and DS1 have theirs, mine and DH need to renew and the little 3 have never had one so will be expense there.
    I'll have a look, thank you, i know doing things separately can be cheaper i'm just so scared of making a mistake and ending up with something missing.

Walked to work in the snow this morning. Got bus back as was running again but i had taken DD1 bus ticket with me. DH said he will walk in tonight as i'm back in at 8 so i can use the ticket then. Forgot how much we relied on the car but wont get fixed until after the weekend now.

Spent the afternoon trying to sort PIL energy. FIL has changed supplier while in town (i had tried to do it for them about 2 years ago but they never moved it) and needed to send readings. I've tried to tell them the same company has a tariff that will save them nearly 400 a year but they were told that was cheapest (told them it will save them 150 a year) so wont look at changing it again. They do have 65 on an argos card to spend on their account that they didn't know about though.

I've given in... Takeaway ordered!
    LBM in April 17 - 6655/33554 (19.8%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET 1031/5000 (20.6% paid)
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 2nd Mar 18, 10:29 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Well now i remember why we haven't had takeaway in a while! I ordered at 6pm, said delivery would be 7.20 so DH went back to bed for an hour. It still hadn't arrived at 8 so woke DH for shower and then rang them. They were 2 cars down and didn't know when it would reach us. DH went to work hungry at 8.50. It finally arrived at 9.30 after kids had raided the cupboards for snacks. It was only just warm and DD had salad on her kebab which caused a teenage strop. We did get a free cola and a chips though! Loads of it has gone in the bin and DH will have his for breakfast.

Hoping to get some kiddies in bed (cola at 10pm means hyper kiddies) and get to bed ready for work in the morning.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 18, 10:46 AM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh no! to the tyre but well done for having the wherewithal to fix it without resorting to a card.

Shame about the takeaway. If you get the chance to make 'fakeaway' and freeze it, perhaps that would fill the gap another time? Mind you if I did that we would end up saving it for a special occasion and the rediscover it three years later...
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 3rd Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Evening. It's been extremely busy at work the last 2 days, like Christmas all over again. So tired this afternoon. I had so much planned as i finished earlier and i've done none of it.

I haven't fetched the food bits needed as doing a food shop tomorrow. Just sat and done done it all, went to book a slot and there is nothing until Tuesday! Should be fun lunches for school Monday with whatever left overs i have.

Eek just remember DH has to leave for work at 9 as he has to walk, better go wake him...
    SPC #591
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 3rd Mar 18, 9:02 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 2,955 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    I'm the same with my food order. I went to do one this morning and normally I have a pick of slots for Monday but nothing available until Tuesday! I think it's the snow as a lot of deliveries were cancelled the last few days so are being redelivered next week. Doesn't help us for packed lunches on Monday! Think I may be baking snacks tomorrow!
    Total debt Dec 2017 23090.83
    Ma7 2018 4621.78 79.98% paid
    Emergency fund 100/600
    Total Savings 1258.62
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 18, 9:52 PM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I wonder how schools will manage if they have been closed and presumably not had food deliveries for lunches? And having schools closed for the last few days will mean a lot of parents don't have much in.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 3rd Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you both. I have bread, even if it's just chocolate spread on it. I may have to have a go at making some snacks, we have lots of odd bits about so might see what we can make, although the chocolate bars i bought for baking have just been demolished by the kiddies for pudding as i had nothing else quick.
    Cherry, schools may be able to use what they should of used at the end of the week, i'm not sure how much they have fresh and what is brought in frozen. I work at Mr T and it has been so so busy the last 2 days, guess everyone is ready for refilling the cupboards.
    I almost booked a click and collect for Monday then remembered we have no car.

DH just made it to work, it was while typing my last post i realised the clock had stopped, luckily i noticed just in time. We have had a good few NSD though.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 18, 10:36 PM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A side effect of the beast from the east/Storm Emma seems to have been a goodly amount of NSDs!

I expect you're right about the schools having stuff in the freezers from last week, I hadn't thought of that. I did just see on the news that in one community (Devon?) which had been cut off, the school gave their food to a nursing home. It must be terribly difficult in some places: we have had it relatively easy here.

Chocolate spread sandwiches is okay for lunches! Maybe not every day but this isn't every day.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th Mar 18, 11:48 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Today will be another NSD. DH is going to try to take the spare wheel from the old car (that's still sat on the drive) and use it to get to the garage to save the call out fees. He was going to do it this afternoon but he didn't come up to bed until 9am and we were sat talking as not seen each other for a couple of days and before we realised it was almost 11 so may be too late when he wakes up.
    Today's list consists of washing, cleaning, more washing and more cleaning. May try to make some snacks too.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th Mar 18, 2:10 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    For the first time in over a week i've turned the heating off, it's got way too warm in here today.

I've just been looking at our credit files, I have 3900 credit available to me. I'm not using any of it. Then i have the sofa payments and DD1 phone.

Dh has a whopping 48500 available to him! If i hadn't started trying to sort our debt when i did we could have been in a lot worse place now. He is currently using 49.95% of the available balance. I think in a year this should be down to 40% so i'll look at reducing some of the balances to keep it at about the 50%. That way there should always be enough spare if we need to BT the whole lot at the same time and keep his credit file looking a bit better being just under the 50%.

My calculations on the sofa loan seem a bit off too. We pay 89.(something) a month, so ive been deducting 89 from the original amount thinking the odd pennies would make it a bit less but it's about 7 more than on my sheets. I'll leave it for now and see what it's like in a couple of months.

Still no cleaning or washing done.
    SPC #591
    • Mumoffourkids
    • By Mumoffourkids 4th Mar 18, 2:14 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 2,955 Thanks
    Mumoffourkids
    That sounds like something I would do, play with spreadsheets and check out credit files rather than cleaning or washing! I have to make myself do something like housework or washing up for 15 minutes and then something I enjoy for 15 minutes. I actually set a timer or my phone or I find that 2 hours has gone past and I have achieved nothing!
    Total debt Dec 2017 23090.83
    Ma7 2018 4621.78 79.98% paid
    Emergency fund 100/600
    Total Savings 1258.62
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 4th Mar 18, 5:02 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just wrote a long post and got side tracked and went looking for my last monthly update before i actually posted it.

Something along the lines of i really need to start setting a timer to get things done, also might have to look at chores for the children, i'm sure they are the laziest on the planet. I've managed to set washer going,and fold all clothes from dryer and both airers.

I was hoping the iron and vit c would have made me feel better/more energy but actually remembering to take them might help.

My aim for this week is to have a tidy, decluttered lounge. To actually get rid/sell things instead of moving it from one room to another. At the minute i can't see the floor and only 1 sofa is accessible.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Mar 18, 11:39 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Morning. Children all back to school today, they weren't pleased and were late again.

After spending over a hour sat in the snow last night, the wheel from the other car didn't fit! DH has now booked for it to be fixed this afternoon, i have no idea what it's going to cost for 2 new tyres.

I'm at work this afternoon so will be able to pick a few bits up after if the car is fixed as we are really running short now. I'll need to catch the bus in.

Also need to pay gymnastics today. Will do that now while i have the laptop open.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 5th Mar 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A bit of an expensive time for you.

Hope the car is soon back on the road and the shopping trip is fruitful... I'm wondering if the bread has been delivered to the supermarket but it will probably be there as the roads here are clear again.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 5th Mar 18, 1:10 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Thank you Cherry. Hopefully it'll be all fixed by tonight. 20 paid to gymnastics. I've spent an hour searching the house for DD2 gym stuff, couldn't find it anywhere, just gone to get my work stuff and it's sat staring at me on the airer. Can't remember putting it on there last night.

We had been doing well with the emergency fund/house savings (suppose i really should split them at some point) but today we realised the room swap will have to wait a little longer. Lazy dog didn't come in this morning, thought nothing of it as sometimes she just sits up the garden watching everything. DD1 opened the front door to go to college and there she was, wagging her tail. So fixing the fence now needs to be priority. Most of it has been propped up since last year but some parts have blown down over the last few days and we hadn't noticed,it was on our list for spring anyway. Luckily she's to lazy to go anywhere.

Right toast eaten, better go get ready for work as bus times have changed i need to leave 15 mins earlier.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've spent an hour searching the house for DD2 gym stuff, couldn't find it anywhere, just gone to get my work stuff and it's sat staring at me on the airer. Can't remember putting it on there last night.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    House elves?

Glad your dog turned up safely. I had a rabbit who escaped and ran down the lane. I caught his companion who I carried through the house (mid terrace) to put him in the hutch and foud the escapee had got in there already! Never worked out how the rabbit knew the route right round all the houses to get back to his own place as we'd only ever carried him through the house. Perhaps they aren't as brainless as they make out . A different rabbit used to go to ground under the neighbour's car - definitely some forethought went into that as no one could reach her!

Our fence is wrecked too. Going to be a good season for fence manufactureres, I think.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 10th Mar 18, 11:08 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good evening. Just a quick post to say it's been an awful week. The car tyres were 184 then as he had been running the car on the drive to keep it defrosted,it ran out of fuel on the garden!
    Tuesday the electric went. Never thought anything of it as the area has had a few power cuts lately, until we went to make dinner the following day and the oven wouldn't warm up we realised it was the heating element that had gone. So shopping has had to be fetched to be done in the microwave. It's all sorted now 8 for a new element.
    The boiler has now packed in, can't get any hot water so need to sort that monday. I washed my hair in cold water this morning but wasn't getting in it!
    Had a few problems at work the last few days, it's been hectic! Had a couple of things happen that have brought the store to a halt.
    I've had people walk off today with out paying. I walked out of work and burst in to tears, didn't want to catch the bus home while i was crying so set off walking. Walked the 2 miles in the pouring rain in tears all the way home. I laid on the sofa a while and felt a little better. Had to nip in again this afternoon and a colleague asked how i was and that was it, i was in tears again.

Tomorrow will be a NSD. I have major amounts of washing to get through and really need a good clean through.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Mar 18, 1:11 AM
    • 1,700 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh no - I'm so sorry to hear all this, what a nightmare. Sending a big hug and a get well wish for your boiler (hug is for you, don't think the boiler would appreciate it), and a quick 'well done' for sorting out the element. It must be the cold weather - yours is the third element to go in the last couple of weeks. One of the others was ours!

Why do these things happen at weekends when it's harder and more expensive to get help? If you can do hot water bottles and use the water in the morning for having washes, that's a bit easier than all cold... and if you have a slow cooker it will heat your kitchen and you can keep water heating in it for very little cost - saves endless kettles.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 11th Mar 18, 11:08 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Just spent ages typing out a post and the laptop decided to restart!

Thank you Cherryfudge. We only had a new element a year ago, we must do to much cooking. A few years ago we would have thought it had had it and bought a new cooker!

Great idea about the slow cooker, thank you. Luckily the heating still seems to be working, just not as warm as it was so we will manage with strip washes until we can get it fixed.

Couldn't get a delivery for today so it's coming in the morning instead. Deliveries still seem really busy.

I've put the washing from last night in the dryer and another load in the washer and that's as far as i've got. The girls have taken over the living room with gym mats so might have to tackle another room first.
    SPC #591
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 12th Mar 18, 11:03 AM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,571 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Morning. Shopping arrived just in time for topping up the lunch boxes. I've put the fridge/freezer things away and still sat looking at the rest with a cup of tea.

Just checked the bank and a CC payment has come out. The one i was waiting for at the end of last month came out on the 2nd and isn't due again till next month so will pay the 75 off the t card.

Need to sort girls swimming bags, gym bags and then get ready for work, i've thought about phoning in sick until i can get to the doctors after the weekend shift, but that wont pay the bills. Suppose i should put the shopping away first...
    SPC #591
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,343Posts Today

5,534Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin